whats wrong with kids shows today? need advice and input!

i wont allow my son to watch most of the childrens shows on tv today! remember when every childrens show taught your a good lession every day! you know the moral of the story and all that! well you would be supprised what you can find online these days! i have been downloading more appropriate shows for my son to watch like the gummi bears from back in the 8o’s! so what i could use from you guys and girls is… can you tell me you favorite cartoon or show from back when we were young! it can be educational or just a all around good show cause not every thing they see has to teach some thing! thanks in for the help!

I was born in the 80’s, but shows I remember watching that were good were:

Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood
Care Bears
Thomas the Train Engine

That’s all I can think of. I didn’t get to watch tv much. It was only on Saturdays or Holidays.

Oh, great question! I love the 80s cartoons myself! And I am trying to purchase them whenever I see one reasonabley priced so that my husband and I can enjoy them with our daughter!
Let’s see… I do have to say I have much love for the Gummi Bears as well… and what about the Snorks–how cool were they?! And My Little Pony! One of my all time favorites is Fraggle Rock! Of course I have to give a shout out to my girl Jem and the Holograms (you do know they are truly outrageous!)!!! And last but not least, I loved watching Bill Cosby’s Picture Pages! Thank you for the great trip down memory lane! :slight_smile:
Care Bear Stare!!!

hi there

i live in SA and with regards to TV shows we can lagg behind abit.
maybe thats a good thing coz every wednesday afternoon they show care bears!

Sa’ad loves it.

there are some good shows on now though like little einsteins and mickey mouse clubhouse. they teach life skills and team work and stuff.

What site(s) do you use to download videos like the Gummi Bears? I would love to download some for my daughter as well! Thank you!

I really liked Sesame Street, and I think it is a good, wholesome show that actually teaches stuff.

gummi bears- 6 seasons
snorks- 4 seasons
smurfs- 9 seasons

I’ve found Sesame Street isn’t what it used to be. You can buy Volumes 1 and 2 from their official website or from Amazon that was the first 10 years (1969-1979). My husband and I are early 70’s kids and I enjoyed them periodically when I was shown them. My husband however, was parked infront of the tv regularly in his household and with mainly Sesame Street’s input he could read by 3 years old.

He was also into Transformers and I loved the Smurfs. We both also loved Fraggle Rock and the Muppets, and a BBC show called The Goodies. A translated Japanese show called Monkey was also a weekly favourite. Other Aussie’s have gotta remember these!!!

I haven’t seen SS since my sisters were little, but I know it used to be good.

Electric Company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98-5g3TYTI

School House Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

My son loves to watch Krecik, this is Check cartoon form 70’s-80’s. It’s really great, the episodes are very short, 5-10 minutes. We watch it on youtube. Krecik is a mole, leaves in the woods, he’s a very positive character, in every episode he helps somoene. This is the only cartoon my son is watching and I let him watch only 2 episodes a day.

I’m from australia, and I miss Romper Room and Mulligrubs and Mr Squiggle. They were from the 70s and 80s, so I only watched them from 11 y-o onwards, but wished I’d been in Australia growing up to see them. They still have Here’s Humphrey on occasionally, but he seems to be on the way out. At least Play School is still going strong. I dont go for cartoons, care bears, gumby, Thomas the Tank Engine or those sort of entertainment shows as I dont think they teach anything much and just breed couch potato kids later on.

I’ve found a television network that I like - Noggin. No commercials, and it’s wholesome, educational, teaches morals, social skills, and even nutrition. Still less TV would be better. My daughter likes Blue’s Clues, Little Bill, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Ni-Hao Kai-Lan. It also has the well known Dora the Explorer, and Go Diego Go. I think they are as educational and wholesome as the shows from the 80’s - maybe even better. I also like Sesame Street. Still I’m embarrassed by how much tv we watch - less tv overall would be better.

Hi,

I was a real telly addict as a kid, so I’m trying to ensure that my daughter doesn’t grow up the same or even worse. I encourage her to watch Dora or Diego, 'though, as I like how educational they are and also that they can teach her a little Spanish. I’ve also found some videos of some of my favourite ‘70’s kids’ shows - Mr Benn, Bagpuss and The Clangers - wonderful lol !

I second tomas the train, sesame street and Mr. roger’s neighbourhood too !

Also, I used to LOVE Lamb chop’s and Barney…

I don’t allow much TV as I want them doing other things with their time. When they do watch they like Dora or Diego which teaches Spanish, and we also read Dora and Diego books. They also like to watch Richard Scary’s Busy Town on CBC. I liked Mr. Dressup and the Friendly Giant when I was growing up, and I occasionally watched Sesame Street. We didn’t watch much TV either.

thank you all so much for your input!

I limit my son’s tv intake but i am still working my husband, because he likes to sit on the couch in front of the tv when gets home from work…its such a bad habit for him as well as my son.