What's wrong with American math education?

Don’t know if you’ve seen this yet: http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/

that is a great site
i’m always looking up reviews there

waterdreamer
i’ve been interested in math u see for years now
how are you and your son enjoying the program?

We are loving it. My son is doing quite will with it. It’s a bits costly the first two years as you have to buy the blocks. I paid $127 this year, next year I will pay $108 because I won’t need to rebuy the skip counting cd. And the next years after I think it will only be $63 because you don’t need to buy any more blocks. Plus if you have children after going through the program after you just need to buy the workbooks($29 I think) because you can reuse the video and teachers guide. Or you can do what I do and take to workbook apart and slip it into plastic covers and use dry erase markers. I’m not sure if I will do this in the upcoming years but for Primer it works. And now I can reuse it for any future children.

DadDude, that’s a nice review of the various programs out there.

But Singapore Math is the only one that’s labeled “advanced and highly conceptual”…what does that mean compared to all the others?
Why is it more advanced than all the others? Does that mean it’s harder to learn or teach, or that it will prepare kids more?
And what good are all the other programs if they don’t prepare you for advanced, highly conceptual math?

I want to know which one of these programs is going to prepare a child to at least be able to approach some challenging subjects, like computer science, statistics, finance, genetics, physics, etc. if they happen to be interested in them.

Sorry if this sounds too detailed, but math education is probably my hottest button issue and the one I am most anxious about because of the notoriously bad math scores in this country, which is why I started this thread.

Thanks for any insight.
mom2ross

Hi again, have you looked at verbal math http://www.mathlesson.com/index.html I love it… I use it with my 5 and 6 year olds but will be using it with children much younger this year :slight_smile: I also use tons of resources from math mammoth and the curriculum is great…

Susan Khan

susan:
how young can you start the verbal math? my DD is 16 mo. and i have started to transition her to numerals from quantity dots. she is too young to start to write. any idea if i can use this for her?
thanks (and where are those lesson plans???) lol
the doc :clown:

Hi, maybe review the site and see if it is a fit for your little one :slight_smile: I know if you asked the majority of people they would say that 16 months is way too young but look at all the amazing accomplishments of the parents and young ones with this group alone :slight_smile: As far as curriculum I have been swamped as my daughters school wanted me to lead the curriculum for this year so i have been going crazy… I Did NOT forget you :slight_smile:

P/S send me your email again and i will forward you a copy of level one :slight_smile:

Yeah, I don’t know exactly what it might mean to call “Kindergarten Math A” advanced. :wink: But generally some comments complain that if you switch from another kind of math to Singapore, you actually have to go back a few years.

Some of the comments also seem to imply that it’s harder to learn, but we haven’t had much trouble with it yet. But then, we haven’t gotten past Kindergarten!

Two of the heavy hitters, I gather, are Saxon and Singapore, and these represent two different approaches. Saxon is about repetition and repeatedly coming back to the same material at slightly higher levels (the “spiral” method). Singapore is about exploring a single topic through many different approaches, so that the student thoroughly understands how math works, not just how to do the problems.

Students using either program tend to test very well, I understand. If Saxon students do very well, then probably it is because there is something to their claim that one does ultimately learn math deeply through repetitive drilling and the “spiral” method.

I’m interested in the other methods, mentioned here in this thread, however, especially at this still-early age…