What's wrong with American math education?

So far the only concrete methodologies promoted in this thread are Kumon and one particular teacher’s methodology in an academy in Florida, as well as using stories.

Are there any math teachers or parents with math degrees who have any more insight?

The sense I’m getting (and the reasoning I like) is that math needs to be learning progressively, building upon previous concepts that get thoroughly learned. Gaps in understanding can stop you moving forward to more advanced math concepts.
If that’s true, then what is the appropriate sequence?

I’m not sure how to answer your question, but I did want to clarify that when I used the term “progressive education,” I did not mean learning progressively, building upon previous concepts that get thoroughly learned. I mean a movement in educational philosophy started (or at least greatly popularized) by John Dewey.

My use of “progressive” doesn’t apply to progressive education philosophies.
I mean teaching and learning math concepts in a progressive way, moving from simpler concepts to more complex ones.

I guess what I really want is to hear about someone’s experience with Singapore Math and to tell me if there is really something fundamentally different about how math is presented and taught with that methodology vs. say, some other curriculum. I’d like someone to enumerate what the core differences are.

For example, someone mentioned in a post somewhere that a typical American primary math textbook covers concepts and assigns exercises in a completely random way, using a broad brush stroke approach vs. being very systematic in building upon concepts in a prescribed way.

I’m not looking for a silver bullet, but I am definitely looking for a trusty methodology with a history of success.

I’ve been trying to get at the heart of good math teaching methods in this thread, and I think I finally fell onto the Singapore Math method. It’s called the Model Method, and there’s a book about it. The table of contents is also described on the page:
http://www.singaporemath.com/The_Singapore_Model_Method_for_Learning_Mathematic_p/smmlm.htm

Hopefully this gives readers an idea of what I’m trying to discover about math education.

I’m trying to understand why some methods are better than others, and what are the winning methods or techniques that really get kids understanding math well…from basic to very complex…

See my review here: http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/review-of-(singapore)-earlybird-kindergarten-math/

I don’t have much to add now. I have discovered that you’ll have to purchase (or improvise) some manipulatives if you want to do the program properly.

hello daddude!
i read your thread/review of the singapore math and was wondering how old was your child when you started? and if you did doman at the same time you did singapore? my daughter is 15 mo. and we’re on multiple equations of +, -, x, / and are going to start greater/less than soon. with your experience and success with this program, how would you suggest i proceed with it? it seems like the child has to read/write before starting. would it be worth it for us to invest in such a program?
thanks so much for your time and advice… always love to read your posts!
the doc :clown:

Thanks, Doc!

We didn’t start it until he was 3.5, I believe, or maybe 3 and a few months. He needed help (he still does, but a little less) writing things, and it’s definitely got some writing requirements, so it can’t be done if yours isn’t able to at least trace numbers. We had pretty much finished Doman-type flash card presentations by that time, but we still did them from time to time (and we still do). I think of these books as something to do after a child has “graduated” from Doman and also from some preschool manipulative work too.

PY i agree 100% with that.

mom2ross
are you still interested in this topic?
if you are i would be happy to write about my experience with some of these programs
tatianna

Hi, tatianna!
Please do share your experiences with the math programs you’ve used!

Hello everyone, here is an update on my daughter and her math teacher. At the end of this school year she got yet another award for academic excellence from guess who , the President of the United States. I wish so bad that children all over the world could have a teacher like hers. One that thinks outside the box and teaches children according to their learning styles and abilities. If any of you wonderful parents have the time please check out these videos and Discovery Academy’s facebook page and leave a quick reply. I would love to her from parents from all over our great world… Thank you

http://www.vimeo.com/discoveryacademy/videos Here are some videos

http://www.facebook.com/discoveryacademy Facebook page Thank you so kindly for your comments… :slight_smile:

Tatiana, please share your thoughts here or through PM.

Susankhan, you should encourage your daughter’s teacher to write materials for home-school practitioners, parents who want to enrich, or for early learning supporters. I’m not sure what’s the youngest age they have taught or developed teaching techniques for…

mom2ross

for a in depth look at what is wrong with american math please look at this site
www.illinoisloop.org/mathprograms.html

Kumon Math

Kumon is a very popular math program that combines at-home daily worksheets with weekly visits to a Kumon center
parents are highly involved and much of the work is done at home
it uses a series of graded math worksheets that students work through independently
the student is tested at the start of their program and begins at a level that is easy for them
no calculators are used in the program
one of the great advantages of Kumon is that it allows students to progress at their own pace

many students complain that the worksheets are boring, often students are required to repeat worksheets as many as 6 or 8 times
Kumon only focuses on the key skills of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in the early stages
there is almost no emphasis on mixed practice, or on maintaining skills that were mastered at one time
it can also be very expensive for parents as much as $100 a month

Singapore Math

the students in Singapore consistently top the world in math achievement
in the 2003 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS), Singapore ranked number 1 followed by South Korea and Hong Kong
even low achievers in Singapore outperform the international average
so in that sense Singapore has best math program

Singapore emphasizes thinking
Singapore Math avoids reliance on memorized formulas and algorithms so there is not as much emphasis on repetitive practice exercises
SM strives to give students an understanding of math concepts by walking students through each component of a problem
and then presenting them with the whole problem to solve
students are trained to think actively as they work through each step of a problem instead of plugging the problem into a formula

SM has a strong emphasis on problem solving and model drawing

Singapore Math is a mastery program, meaning students are taught a concept once and once only
each level builds upon preceding levels, and assumes that what was taught need not be taught again
when the same topic is revisited next year, it is discussed at a higher level

Singapore Math uses a distinctive concrete-pictorial-abstract approach
for example, introduction of abstract decimal fractions is preceded by their pictorial model of centimeters and millimeters on a metric ruler
but even earlier addition and subtraction of decimals is studied in the concrete form of dollars and cents

systematic use of word problems are a big part of the program and are started in kindergarten
students learn when to add and when to subtract relying on the meaning of the situation
formulations are free of any redundancies, and challenge student’s understanding of mathematics
this is different from U.S. curricula, where word problems are to show “applications” of math and are spiced with immaterial details
the need for repetitive drill is minimized by clever sequencing of the topics

other difference is the use of bar-models in teaching problem solving (a form of pre-algebra)
this consists simply in representing (mentally or graphically) arithmetical quantities by line segments
such line segments are regularly used to show and teach one’s thinking process in solving an arithmetical problem
the segments are typeset as colorful “bars” of a fixed width (hence bar-models)

in the early grades SM uses a lot of manipulatives and hands on math
so it’s great for most learning styles

note in singapore children do drills and math facts in a separate class
so you will need to supplement these
another possible problem with SM is it’s probably very different from how you learned math
this may make it difficult to teach
(i have not found it that hard)

Miquon Math
Miquon Math Materials lead children through an exploration of mathematical relationships
concrete models are not supplements to the written work but instead are the basis of it and are used continuously
Miquon Math introduces all four arithmetic operations and work with fractions in the first year
by the third year, students are graphing algebraic equations
the program encourages creative thinking
it uses manipulatives for all the problem so it’s a great option for kids who can’t sit still
and who doesn’t love playing with blocks?
it’s very cheap and can also be used as a supplemental program
the program only goes to third grade though
and it also requires more time from the teacher than the conventional curricula
to use this program you need Cuisenaire rods as well as the teachers guide

Saxon Math

is a math program developed by former Air Force officer and high-school math instructor John Saxon
Saxon Math is very popular with the home school world, and is also used in some public and private schools
tests show that the use of Saxon Math increases algebra enrollment by up to 400 percent
and that Saxon Math students radically outperform students using other math programs
Saxon Math is distinctly American and is arguably the best american program available

Saxon emphasizes practice
after concepts are introduced, Saxon moves immediately into practice exercises to help cement the concept in the student’s mind
Saxon requires students to memorize formulas, achieve fluent recall of math facts and apply algorithms to solve problems
the detailed explanations of each lesson enable a far greater degree of independent work

Saxon Math is a program built on spiral review
concepts are presented to the student one part at a time, across several lessons
they retain what they’ve learned through constant repetition throughout the year
new material presented and practiced in each lesson
many parents say that the spiral review method has made all the difference for their students
and a number of other programs adopted the method after Saxon Math’s success became obvious

Saxon kindergarten math curriculum is extremely easy to use because the lesson is entirely scripted
almost no teacher prep time needed
and has a lot of manipulative exercises (does not use manipulatives in later levels)

some problems with saxon are that it can be a bit of a drill and kill
some kids find the program to be boring
it’s also expensive

Tatiana, as always THANK YOU for sharing all this info. Karma to you.
Would you ,please tell more how you’ve started the math program with your daughter.
TIA.

We use Math U See. I spoke to many parents at a homeschooling conference I went to and it was the most popular both. I went to the line and spoke to some of the mothers and I was sold. It has a video that the parents and child watch together, and then a workbook and blocks. I love that it’s very hands on, but the worksheets are very plain. This work well for us because my son is easily distracted lol.
We are half way through Primer(kindergarten) and i have full intentions of ordering Alpha(grade 1) in the near future.

waterdreamer,
Can you give me mre information on Math U see. At what age did you start with that program and how much tme do you spend weekly on it.
I am looking for some programm to reforce my grandson but not really doing hojmeschooling since he will go o school after preschool.
Thanks a lot.

Well Math U See starts at the kindergarten level so 5-6 years old, but looking at it now my son may have been ready to start it at 4. The first 10lessons were pretty easy for him. But I found it important to do them anyhow to build up his confidence.
We spend on average 5-15minutes a day on it. If my son is in a math mood he will do several pages, if not he will just complete one page and we put it away. It basically teaches a concept, then you practice it, then near the end of the chapter they review something from past chapter. From what I here in the older grades there are tests at then end of each chapter

Waterdreamer, thanks for the info! karma to you.
We will definetely look into that program, once my DD will get older :yes:

Thanks waterdreamer, we will look into it too.
I see your son if far ahead from his age. Good for him.

Thank you. I wish his speech would catch up.