What were the first words you showed your baby on flashcards?

I am about to start showing flashcards to my 3.5 months old daughter. I am starting with just a few, and will slowly increase it… Just curious, what were the first words you started showing your child?

I am definetly starting with Daddy, Mama, Potty ( since it is her favourite thing after daddy and mommy :smiley: ) and … frog ( her favorite toy)…

Any thoughts?

Definitely start with her favourite things - I think my daughter learnt Mummy, Daddy and dog first. Other early ones were bunny (also her favourite toy), and then parts of her body are also good ones to start with. For very young babies you could try “milk” if that is what you call it when you feed her. If you give her time on her tummy you could try teaching her “tummy time” - anything that she can associate with her day.

I also started with mommy, daddy, her name, and potty. From there I went to toys, and then activities. We will start with solid foods next week, so I will add then to the mix.

Since we didn’t know about Doman’s method at the beggining, we started with animals, fruits, vegetables, objects at home , nature :confused: Once we had more info, we decided to start all over again, so I just created the first set of flash cards based on Doman’s book. I didn’t included pictures because I want to point at the part of the body, object or whatever I’m teaching her.

Her is a copy of the flash cards in case someone wants to use them. The only thing is that they are ready to be printed and in one side they are in English and in the other in Spanish. You are just supposed to fold them and voila, you have bilingual flash cards.If you don’t want the Spanish words, you can just cut it out or let me know if you want the original file in case you want to change the second language.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Great, thank you! We started with our 4 flashcards already. BTW, how often would you introduce a new word. In his book, does G Doman specifies anything along these lines.

You know, when we teach GD Math, there is pretty strict regiment of showing only 2 sets of 5 cards each maximum 3 times a day. Is there anything similar related to reading and showing flashcards of the words?

I do not have his books, but will be very interested to hear from those who read them.

I came to know about flash cards & dot cards when my son was 6 months old. I started with animals, parts of the body , fruits then came vegetables …This is because he already knew them through pictures…

i just know about the baby learning through flashcard when i know about this website. and since i have downloaded the free flashcard provided by the this site :laugh: , i just used that and the baby like it…i started with the animals, wild animals, fruits and colours…what a fun!! maybe I started with my words after this…

Based on the posts I had read here, I’m going to introduce 5 words each day and show them to my daughter 15 times (3 times a day for 5 days). I do it this way, so if for any reason I can’t show all the sets in one day or maybe not the 3 times during a day, I can still manage to show the words to her enough times. Does it make sense? :huh:

Let me know if you have any additional questions :slight_smile:

I started with things that I say to my baby the most like “diaper, milk, bed, and etc.” :slight_smile:

Hi…
Here In India, we have a programme called ISP (Infant SSY Programme) which taught us when and how to show Flash cards. The concept is based on Doman’s method.

0-3mths:We were asked to prepare 28 words for this period.
Show 1 new word everyday for a week, 10 times in a day for 10 secs. Repeat the same words next week and also in the 3rd week. In 4th week, show all the 7 words everyday, 10 times for 10 secs total. So in 1 month u’ve shown only 7 words in all. For next month do the same with another set of 7 cards. So u’ve shown all the 28 cards by the end of 3 months.
Eg of words: mummy, daddy, sister, mother, all, we, I etc

4-6mths: We were asked to prepare 90 words categorically for this period. Each category contains 10 words. So 9 categories in all.
1st week: Show 10 cards everyday (any 1 category) twice in a day.
2nd week: Another set of 10 cards
3rd week: Another set of 10 cards
4th week: Revise all the 30 words (3 categories) twice in a day.
So in 3 months u’ve shown 90 cards (9 categories)
Eg: Categories can include Fruits,Vegetables, Family, Animals, Clothes etc.

7mths-3yrs: We were asked to prepare books and cards.
1st week: 10 words (from the books made)
2nd week: the same book eg. My family, which will have "this is Daddy’ on one page and Daddy’s photo on the next page. Include all family members. Repetition is the key here. “This is” repeated on every alternate page. Show the book at least twice in a day.
3rd week: 10 words (from another the book made)
4th week: Another homemade book eg. My Actions and include all the various actions the baby does with his/her photographs. “I am Sleeping” and baby sleeping picture on next page.
Continue this till the child is 3 yrs old, making more and more complex books and words as the child grows.

Though these are just standards, we need to set the pace by judging our baby’s interest and grasping power.

I am very near to my due date and plan to start with this method and then modify it according to my baby’s needs and interest.

All the Luck!

Wooow! I wish there had been something like that program here while I was pregnant! :dry:

One question, When you start the program from 3 to 6 months, are you flashing the words or showing them for 10 seconds too?

Body parts, head shoulders knees and toes!!!

Our first were “people words” - Mommy, Daddy, Timothy, grandma, grandpa, Lady

Mine were "people "words too, family and her fave characters from books. I think I had read that from Doman method. WOW Khush, the ISP program really sounds great. i heard about it only through this forum and wish I had known it earlier .

We started at 26 months and our first words were his favourite words like car, bus, trein, tractor, bike and truck. Khush, I think the ISP program is really great, but how do they teach maths to infants and toddlers, sorry! I’m just curious.

Hi everyone,
please tell me is it necessary to use flash card if you use LR.I think that these methods repeat each other. :laugh:

I think it is great using various methods, so it will keep your child interested. But you do not have to. We are planning to use flashcards, but have not get around making them yet. But having LR curriculum made it easy to follow :slight_smile: so we are doing it aready!

Skylark is right! The more variety, the better. You don’t want your child to get bored. Some babies prefer one method over another or go through stages where they don’t like one method. Mix it up and keep things interesting. I use flash cards, LR, LM and various videos to teach my son.

When I started with my first son we didn’t have LR so I used white cue cards. The words were mom, dad, granny. I used black bold lines.