wHAT TO TAKE IN LONG TRIPS

iM TRAVELING IN A LONG TRIP BUT IT IS THE FIRST TIME MARCIA DOES IT AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO TAKE THE TRIP TAKES AROUND 12 HOURS BY BUS AND IT’S NECESSARY TO TAKE HER TO TIS CITY CAN YOU HELP ME, THANKS

Snacks
Books
Quiet Toys
Perhaps a Portable DVD Player (if you have one) to watch movies
Special Stuffed Animal
“Special” Treats (like a lollipop)

Portable DVD players are great. We sometimes take a travel size magna doodle. We also have an electronic book that makes up silly stories. A blanket to snuggle in might help too. 12 hours is a long time. You will probably have to be creative - sing songs etc. Good luck!

What about her favourite pillow?

How old is the baby? 8 months?

thats nice of you all. :smiley:

im also getting ready to have a long trip and tis is first trip to E

i cant imagine how it would be to her and will make sure to take those all you listed

Another fan here of portable dvd players and the drawing pad!

Felicity loves to draw so giving her a pen and paper would often keep her occupied for quite some time.

her fav toys definatly and a nice soft blankie

Here is what worked on long trips for us:

If you are taking snacks (we liked non-sugary, so they wouldn’t get hyper) and your baby has the motor skills, take it in a container that is a little difficult to get the snacks out of. (We have a Cheerio container that looks sort of like a Cheerio, but only a part of the lid lifts up.) It cuts down on the mess, but it also keeps them occupied longer.

We did sort of the same thing with a few toys. We had a draw-string bag that was open enough to get the toys out of, but took a little manipulating. My boys just like the challenge of taking the things out.

Some big beads or buttons on a string works sometimes. I would make it with extra string (my boys wouldn’t like beads behind their necks, and liked moving the beads around), and the child can “wear” it. They can twist them, move them on the string, eat them … This can also go into that drawstring bag :happy: .

My friend usually gets a few toy (for a long trip) that are new to the child and keeps them hidden, then brings one out every now and then.

My other suggestion would be to travel through the night if you can. It is great when they can sleep through most of the trip. If not, and if there are other children on the bus, it is good if the child can see the children. My boys were often entertained just watching other children be children.

Other than that, try to stay calm and cheerful. Babies seem to pick up on our moods so easily. If we’re having a great time, they often figure they should be too. :slight_smile: