What to do about your brain injuried child

I have been trying to read this book for months. Sadly I just can’t wrap my head around it. I thought maybe I could get an idea of a plan to put together for my son for a home prgram. But there is so much history and personnal story and not as much about basic instruction… I’m lost. My son is basically on the road to recovery, and I want to offer him the best, but right now going out to the states for a whole week is out of the question.
Basically what I got(from a phone call to the institute) was get him on his hands and knees and moving that way. Continue to introduce math as his brain still maybe open to that.
Right now I try to get him
-ABA Monday-Friday
-walking every day
-LR
-Tweedlewinks
-Math U See
-Hooked on Phonics
-Hooked on Handwriting
-He eats gluten and dairy free
-Little Pim
-Signing time
I’m not sure what else to be doing with him
I would like to get Memory Magic going with him.
Starting tomorrow we are going to try and get daily crawling in.Anyone else have any other suggestions

Hello
You have many activities on your list of things you do with your child. If you have a child who is not achieving their potential then you must look at the priorities that will make the greatest difference. This is where the body of Glenn Domans book is vital. It is the brain that needs stimulating in the levels where your child has a problem. To stimulate the brain the physical activities of crawling (on the tummy) and creeping are powerful functions. THey can improve vision, understanding, language as well as improve physical coordination. Make sure you always know why you are doing an activity and what you want to achieve from it with your child.

I also found that What to do about your brain injuried child was more of a history of the program than a guide. I bought the Physically Superb, & How smart is your Baby & am having better luck getting ideas from those.

I have both of those books too. I bought a lot with a bunch of the Doman books and some bits. I never thought to look at the How smart is your baby because I thought it was only good up to 1 years old. Is there ideas for older children in there too? I was just kind of putting it aside for when I have my next child so I could read it when I fall pregnant.

I found right brian activity very stimulating for my son and it is helping him improve leaps and bounds. I’ll have to keep glazing over the book. I just found it very very long winded. My goal is to get him crawling and creeping around ALOT more, so I will focus on that section.
Thank-you!

I’d probably skip the How Smart is your Baby at this stage. I was just trying to think of where I got my ideas from. I use the physically superb book most often now.

You really do have a well rounded program. He is a luckly boy to have a Mom who does so much for him. I agree with the crawling & it is something we have really focussed on as well. I have talked to several Doman Moms who think this is the most important part of their program.

Thank-you, your so kind :slight_smile: I’d be interested to know what you do with your LO, and what other ideas you have heard from other Doman mom’s. My son turns 5 in a couple of weeks and I know we only have other year that this important window will be open, so I have quit my job and run a dayhome so I can focus on him and make the best of it. I love getting ideas from other people.

For my brain-injured child, some of the techniques described in How Smart is Your Baby were very important. These were the sensory stimulation program as my daughter was hypersensitive in the areas of tactile and auditory functioning. The Passive balance activities from Physically Superb is also extremely important for neurological organization. The usefullness of these programs depend on your child’s level and needs, but I would not totally dismiss info from the How Smart is your baby book (it was my initial reaction too since my daughter was advanced over the 12 month level in some areas of the profile) because if your child is not perfect in the lower levels of the Developmental Profile - you can get ideas from that book. It details a daily program better than any of the other books, I wish they had another book detailing programs from 1 yr to age 6.

try doing things that cross the body
like painting and coloring things like that but try to get your child to cross his body when he does them
make sure he has both feet on the ground when he writes
dance and movement can also really help these kids
and don’t for get diet as that can play a big role as well