What steps can parents take to speed up development of reading skills of baby?

Hii All,

I am very excited about having started to teach my 12 month old baby read. The following are my plans to encourage her early reading:

• Show LR sessions and try to customise them with our pics and things of her interest
  • Make manual flash cards about the things that she likes (though she is not at all interested in flash cards at this stage)
  • try home made books

I would welcome parents to share what things they did which helped a lot for their baby to read… I think it would benefit all others…

Regards
Hemal

Definitely do the ABC section of starfall.com on a regular basis. Also, underline words with your finger when you are reading. I found Dolch sight word PowerPoints very useful with my second child. You can download them at http://www.mrsperkins.com/dolch.htm.

thanks for replying dear… I will surely do that

Hi, you can also start off with LR and LM… and supplement with Preschool Prep (I LOVE these videos), my son learned all his colour/ shapes and some sight words from it very quickly. Also has Letters/Numbers/Phonics. 12mo can start off with letters.

If you’re up to the work, you can also try manual flashcarding (Doman method), which is great as you can carry it around wherever you go and it only takesa couple of minutes each time. That’s great Right Brain Stimulation.

And lastly, don’t forget Play, Play and Play… some structured, and some unstructured. Works wonderfully for Fine/Gross motor skills and Social skills.

Hii dear, thts v helpful. . From where do u suggest downloading preschool prep?

Hi
I was lucky and got it as a gift set from a good friend. You can check out this website to find out more.
http://www.preschoolprepco.com/h/s/preppks.php

I think that combining multiple formats and programs is the most efficient way. We use a combination of Your Baby Can Read DVDs, books and flash cards along with following Little Reader program and reading books together. The suggestion to follow the words you’re reading with a finger is a great one because there is some research showing that this helps kids to learn to read faster. Good luck!

thank you so much!! :slight_smile:

Sticking up words around the house is a good one, Explaing what each thing is. Also helps and signing time is also very good.