what physical activities do you do at home?

hi moms and dads,

or should I say - super moms and dads- man oh man, do I get totally overwhelmed by everything you guys post. Everybody seems so organised and knows what they are doing. I can barely manage to keep my house clean and the kids fed!

But, I found so many great suggestions on this forum! Daniel is now 4 and has a great number understanding till 10, I am getting the RightStart Math soon to keep teaching him. He started the Soft Mozart program and loves it.
All because of you guys.

So thank you!

I wanted to ask what you guys do with your kids for physical exercise?

Daniel started going to Little Gym and learns a great deal there.
I would like to do fun things with Benjamin, who is 22 months.

What I remember the most of Domans book on the subject is 'do more of what is there already"; in Benjamins case, that means walking, running and climbing stairs :smiley:

I am looking forward to read all your ideas, links and own experiences!!

At 4 my kids started gymnastics and taewkondo. They still do both and my oldest is 10 now. She is going for her black belt this year and competing in nationals. In Gymnastics she trains 8 hours a week and competes a few times a year in fields of a few hundred she places about 50th. The girls who do better than 50th train 4 hours a day. We have a life :wink:
Both my other children compete in taekwondo and win plenty of shiney medals also.
My son at age 3/4 learnt to ride his bike without training wheels. That was a blessing. So much easier to teach a 4 year old than a 6 year old! Do that soon! he now rides motorbikes but isn’t at all competitive so rides for fun.
We spent lots of time outside in our big natural bush backyard climbing rocks, trees, running and jumping on the trampoline. We also went to different parks regularly. They learnt to swing themselves on a swing at age 2 ( I don’t like to push lol ) and being in the park helped them develop balance and climbing skills and just gave them large motor movement practice. We went once a week at least from ages 1-4 and then once a month after they started classes. We still go to the park and kick a footy around. My kids are much better with a football than I am!
I think the trick to raising kids who are physically superb is to not be too protective as a mother. Let them try and be there to mop up the blood. lol my kids scared many people many times but I never felt they were out of their depth because I gradually gave them access to greater and greater challenges. W we’re suspended from a gymnastic class at age 2 because one climbed to the roof on a rope…scared everyone except me :biggrin: I was proud as punch!
If you want them to be good runners let them run. My kids win all their school races and they spent lots of time running and running for fun. If you want them to swim well let them be in the water a lot. If you want them to to be coordinated then martial arts, gymnastics and different park visits are a great idea.

Fantastic ideas! I also spend a lot of time in the woods, and now even more since we got a dog lol

I was totally AMAZED about what they let the kids do at the gym! I had no idea that kids could climb that well, man

Oh! My new fantastic discovery is a big blow up mattress; works just like a safe trampoline for the boys :smiley: they love it and jump on it for ever.

Kudos for your kids!!

I like the idea of do more of what is available. We have winter 6 months a year, I taught both my kids to skate at age 2. I take the kids downhill skiing, we started at age 3. We have done some cross county skiing. We do lots of winter wonderland walks and sledding. We play on the playgrounds in the winter - takes extra balance with the ice and snow. Even though Doman doesn’t list any of those, I think they are all valid in terms of movement and strength. Given that most of this stuff occurs in the backyard, we could do it everyday.

I have struggled with swimming, because we have to drive. Gymnastics isn’t even an option. Although I have done some simple stuff around the house, there is no option for more formal training.

And doing stuff in your own backyard means you don’t have to have it all together. You can hang laundry while the kids ‘exercise’. You can BBQ while the kids learn. Having instant access makes it easier.

I prefer yoga and swimming.

Hi… I find exercises very helpful to stay fit and active. I am planning to do some type of exercises from body guide. I am sure this is going to help me a lot to get a good body. I also feel that healthy diet is needed to maintain the body and health.

I prefer to play basketball, my children also like, even though he was only 3 years old, lol