What is the point of teaching sign language

We do sign with her throughout the day, but again, we don’t know as many signs as we should. We always sign eat, drink, cereal, milk, hungry, sometimes car, train, pijamas, bath. I have to be honest besides the first signs I was telling you about I usually forget :frowning: I just need to be more aware of when I can use signs and start watching the videos with her.

The reason that I teach sign is because when the child gets to the terrible two’s instead of screaming like they do anyway, hopefully he can sign to me instead of trying to use his words, and getting frustrated. So many children get so frustrated that they can’t come up or say the word that they need, so signing helps with communication when it seems too hard to communicate. And if you go somewhere say to church and instead of correcting your child with noisy words or shush’s we use sign, and it works. Also it helps them get a jump on a language that they can teach to others as they get older. They can volunteer at a nursing home or rehilibitation center, etc. I was taught sign when I was little and now I have had the opportunity to help children learn who had severe disabilities. You never know the outcome of teaching a child sometimes until they grow up. I see the children that I have helped out in the world succeding in areas where no one thought they could. using sign to communicate is a beautiful, and overwhelming accomplishment to so many others. Not to mention to educational aspects of using sign. Even though I was 9 when I was taught sign I have used it ever since.

Hello
My experience was a little bit of each of you one. I signed with my daughter since she was 4 month old. No a real sign until she was 9 months and a half. And she had an explosion of signs after that. be aware that she will sign almost the same sign for some signs like butterfly, rabbit, monkey etc. But you have to be aware what she is seeing so you can understand her. My daughter won’t speak any word but dada until the age of 13 months. When she turned 14 months she had another explosion of words. She is 15 months and she can speak up to 60 words English and Spanish and she also say a two word together like bye bye daddy or mommy. It’s amazing. keep it up!

I think teaching signing is as valid as teaching any other foreign language to your child – if you get a good book on ASL that explains the grammar you will gain a much deeper appreciation for ASL as a language (I am just starting to learn but have read some about the grammar and also deaf culture, which is important to understand that ASL is not just hand movements but also facial expressions and body movements that convey meaning). I did some baby signs with my son starting when he was about 6 months old, but was not at all consistent with it – by 12 months he was signing more, apple, banana, and a few others – but he was an early talker so then I got lazy about continuing to try and teach him. Now he is 25 months and I just started showing him Signing Time – he loves it! He is picking up new signs very quickly and loves to show them off. Also, if we are talking about something and he wants to know the sign for it, we’ll just go to the computer, pull up one of the free ASL dictionaries that are available (just Google “ASL dictionary”) and learn the sign.

It probably also helps that we just recently started having play dates with our deaf neighbor and her hearing 3-year-old neice, whom she watches most days (and whom she communicates with in ASL). It’s great – I can practice my ASL with our neighbor (and she is very patient and willing to teach me) while the kids play, and my son is starting to really understand what signing is about, and he is excited to learn more signs.