what interests your child?

My son is 3 1/2 and I’m looking for his next passion. He loves categories - meaning topics with lots of things to memorize. For instance, at one point he loved bugs. He can recognize hundreds of bugs. We have bug plastic toys, bug books, bug bits, a bug catcher & magnifying box to look at live ones. He knows where they live, what they eat and all sorts of info about tons and tons of bugs. He did the same thing with dinosaurs, all sorts of animals (even the very random ones).

We do Little Reader and PowerPoints and I expose him to many, many different topics. The only thing he has been asking for lately is art PowerPoints. I’m going to download all that I can find. We gave him my husband’s baseball cards because I thought that would be another thing he could learn all about.

I’m looking for ideas of other topics that your kids like. I don’t want to go the traditional route and let him get into army guys or star wars toys if I can help it.

Right now my son loves tigers. In all his videos he pays attention or laughs when there are tigers. Also, he’s enthralled at listening to people with German accents–go figure!

How about bones of the human body, organ systems of the body, rocks and minerals, constellations in the night sky, or countries/capitals/flags of the world?

Other things that come to mind I didn’t notice listed:
country flags
state flags
continents/countries/oceans/landforms
landmarks/famous places
flowers, trees, foods
fish - there are so many fish!

My kids first and seemingly final passion is machines and it hasn’t changed. Everything from vacuum cleaners to backhoes. He knows all the brand names and all the part names which I’ve been able to teach him. Oddly he has favorites within machine categories. He’d gladly learn the names of all the engine parts and how they work if I prepared that info for him. He’s 2.5 years and speculates on their functions and possible uses. I know nothing about such things. Unfortunately mom has zero interest in machines but is bullied into making lego juicers, cranes, weed eaters, etc to no end! Every stick he finds outside instantly becomes a machine and he’ll gladly ‘saw’ for an hour. I’d like to encourage his one and only passion but I can barely endure discussions of caterpillar, bobcat, kobelco, new holland… backhoe brands. If any machine passionate parent out there cares to upload some ‘specific’ machine related categories, it would be appreciated by my lil one!!