What has helped your child the most?

I am just curious as to what therapies/treatments & especially non mainstream things have helped your kids. I’ll get back to answer this myself later when I have narrowed things down a little. lol

Hi kmum,

Might not be what you had in mind, but here is some of what we do.

While neither a treatment or a therapy, I would have to say by far the most amazing thing we have done with our little genetically enhanced boy was starting EC. A little potty was all it took to put an end to the very sad situation of painful constipation (feet on the floor is best for those important muscles!) and everyone is amazed at the fact that I haven’t changed a dirty nappy since he was 10mths old!

We also have had him on a kids treadmill (not electric) to practice walking everyday. Although it doesn’t alter his rate of respect to gross motor skill development. It does give him the opportunity to walk long distances with correct positioning (both feet forward - not out to the side, knees under hips etc) which would be very hard to do in our tiny house with his very exciting brother around! Of course after reading the Doman’s physical program one night, was a great source on info too. The tip to just call you child over to you whenever they stand up was a real breakthrough for walking.

Looking forward to hearing great ideas,

mko

Playing with him with what is interesting to him at the moment. Lots of eye contact, Responding to every attempt he makes at communicating, all to keep him from going into his own world.
Maria

Believe that they are the best in turn set high expectations and have patience.

:biggrin:

best,

I read a lot of Glenn Doman’s books. Based on his advice, I wanted to get my son involved in some cross pattern exercise. He was too old to go back to crawling (age 7) so I enrolled him in private swim classes. There are some studies that cross pattern exercises help to synchronize the right and left brain hemisphere. I had him go 2-3 x’s per week all summer last year. It was a real confidence boost because after a short while he was able to swim better than most kids his age. It was the first time that he was better at something than others. I’m hoping that when summer rolls around that he has retained these skills. It will be disappointing if other boys catch up in this area. If so then I will pay for lessons again. I’m not sure that it benefited him in other ways. I can’t really tell if it improved his brain functioning at all. But I really enjoyed taking him to pool, and watching him confidently join the other boys in the deep end. It really improved his self-esteem and even his social hierarchy with his peers.

Lori

I think Gymbaroo hashad an amazing effect on my eldest daughter. She is very well coordinated for her age and it helped her get moving that’s for sure. She was the first to get really moving in my mum’sd group and i learnt so much about how exercide really enhances them even for babies.

hi ,

To help her with her jumping -, she has a gap btwn a 1st and 2nd toe making it difficult for her to walk…after doing various massages, walking on different surfaces,she is now walking but i notice sometimes she tip toes, but she does not do this if she is using shoes. i have enrolled her into kidsports - once a week-- they do various movements recommended by glenn doman- forward and backward rolls, summersault, balancing beam, crawling, creeping.

She is also delayed in speech especially articulation: so i do various activity to help her: ask her to blow bubbles - she loves this,drink water using crazy straw, tongue excercise- forward and back,circular, also use lots of flash card - using 2 syllable to explain the her daily activity.

i also teach her using picture cards- explaining whats happening in the picture…helping her with speech

fine motors: peg board/ lacing/ drawing straight lines, circles

Great ideas everyone! I tried to narrow down my list, but it just wasn’t working! lol

Some of mine are:

1. Most importantly to have high expectations for my dd.

2. using Doman’s methods such as using a crawling track & encouraging as much crawling as possible before walking (once she was walking on her own, we used a treadmill to help improve her gait).

3. cranio sacral therapy

4. baby massage

5. breastfeeding

6. teaching my dd to read - this is great for reading as well as speech & teaching so many concepts such as colors, shapes, etc.

7. teaching sign language - it was a wonderful bridge to spoken language

mko - I’d have loved to try ECing, but didn’t find out until my dd was a little on the old side for it & was so busy with reading, physical program etc. that I never got around to it.

Could you please tell me what EC is? Thanks

Sandy

EC is elimination communication.

Thank you!

I think the # One item that has helped my children is choosing to stay home with them, and interact with them in all those little ways all day and night long. I make my children my first priority and interest. That has given me the freedom to do and try all those other items such as extended breastfeeding, EC, Doman, Montessori stuff, and all those other little home crafts, projects, and daily living activities.

[Yes, somedays I struggle and want just a few minute break from them, but overall I LOVE staying home]

hi kmum,

great ideas!

how do u get ur daug to walk on the treadmill? mine is 3 yr n 4mths,i need to improve her walking skills…her walking is not balanced.

thanks!

Baba- I found it easiest just to walk behind her. At first when she wasn’t very stable, I held her hands. As she became more stable, I did it more for safety.

They do make infant treadmills, as well as a harness to hold the child up, but we didn’t have one of those available.

I think one thing that really helped with my dd was to encourage her to crawl as long as possible - as per Donan books. Only when she was walking on her own did we start the treadmill.

This message has been deleted by TeachingMyToddlers as spam!
haydeejamison@gmail.com’s post count has been reduced by 1.

1. Focused reinforced activities;

2. Teaching to read, write, basic math;

3. I know I am going to sound odd, teaching to play the piano.

thanks kmum…

This is something I would be really interested in doing with our guys too! Could you tell us a little about how / when you started etc?

BTW, I was reading this blog (http://elliestumbo.blogspot.com/search/label/homeschooling) and there was a news piece about a teacher with DS, interesting to see that she plays too!

Cheers!

On top of all academic aspects of early childhood, I always let my baby feel my comfort and affection in every ups and downs she encounters. By emotionally supporting her, I can see she is more confident and matured to carry herself. She knows, I am just out there. The more I am positive and affirmative, negative thoughts come as “not a burden”.