What does the ultimate education look like to you?

I have been doing alot of thinking lately if I was to homeschool what would my children’s education look like?

which got me thinkiong if I could send them to the ultimate school what woul that look like?

I think I would like to create an environment where interests could be pursued deeply but an environment where english and maths were still taught but in a way that was fun and incorporated in their intrests. I would teach time managment and how to run your own business at a young age. I would allow for art ad creativity every day. I would want time to practice yoga and meditation gymnastics and sport , kindness, giving back and proper social etiquette. That contributing is more important than getting. A deep understanding of history. Which I think is something that is very important because without understanding the past and the past mistakes of human race we can make sure we don’t make them in the future (hopefully). Gardening and agriculture. Languages teaching of many languages I also consider important not only for the brain but for the understanding of culture and how languages has formed. The ability to fend forself and the most important learning how to think for yourself instead of waiting for someone to tell you what to do. Right brain ed techniques like speed reading and mental math calc. Science with the access to a really good lab. I just keep coming up with ideas.

I don’t really know how to put this into words. To describe an education so lovely that you would be envious you didn’t have that yourself. It is one of those things that is hard to put into words and is so different to everyone. I was wondering what does the ultimate education look like to you for your child?

You forgot MUSIC! Squeeze that in somewhere :wink: Piano, guitar and singing here!
Can I enroll my kids in your school? Please?
It sounds great.
I think I would need to put a fair bit of REAL art lessons in my school. One girl is very artistic and we struggle to find enough actual technique training methods to improve her skills as fast as she wants them to improve. I would love to tailor her education so most of her learning was based around something creative.
Of course the other two kids would need more left brain learning and a slightly different approach. One would love to learn everything she needs to know from reading books. ( speed reading :yes: :yes: :yes: ) The other likes to touch everything so perhaps building a physical curriculum would work. Loads of manipulatives and physical expressions of learning. ( dioramas, science experiments)
Oh I just realized my school had better come with a cleaner! It’s all the messy stuff my kids like! lol
I would include
Detailed geography of the world with cultural studies.
Reading and writing daily. Speed reading.
Advanced math ( accelerated well beyond current expectations which I feel are too low :ohmy: )
Music, piano, guitar, and singing
Art studies and participation
Gymnastics
Animal studies ( with horse riding, bee keeping…)
Physical physics
Cooking and nutrition, chemistry in the kitchen.
Finance, business and marketing
Public speeching and vocabulary development
Gardening, botany and classification. Grow your own food. Sustainability.
I would do lots of general knowledge mini projects, allowing kids to choose topics.
Memory training.
I am sure I havnt covered everything but that should keep us busy for a while :biggrin: I probably wouldn’t focus on history as much as you but would include it as a part of world geography and cultural studies.
I think it’s HOW I would do it that would be the biggest change from “school” Very child centered. Very literature heavy and quite accelerated by comparison. Makes me want to home school :frowning:

Oh how the pendulum swings between Monte and Homeschool for me. Im really stuck as to what to do. :confused: Both have so many positives and negatives what to do? What to do? But how I love the idea of teaching my children.

I am going to try to do as much Montessori in my (preschool) homeschool as possible; it’s not ideal, but I can’t afford Montessori school fees around here. Maybe we’ll get some other kids to join us; that is the thing I think they’d miss the most by being at home.

My husband and I haven’t decided yet if we’ll homeschool or afterschool after preschool; I’m leaning toward homeschooling, if I can persuade him. :slight_smile: This is what I’m considering for our homeschool, if that’s what we end up doing.

One theory of education that I quite like splits it into five areas with a way of understanding truth in each area:
Language and the Expressive Arts - subjective truth through beauty (appealing vs unappealing)
Social Studies - subjective truth through accepted cultural norms (conforming vs nonconforming)
Mathematics - objective truth through deductive reasoning (valid vs invalid)
Science - objective truth through inductive reasoning (confirmable vs disconfirmable)
Morality - truth through revelation from God (right vs wrong, good vs evil)

So those are my five areas of focus. I haven’t specified what we’ll study in each field, but it will depend on my interests and my children’s (I studied history and biology in college, I speak French and some Japanese, and I play the piano and cello, so those will probably be important; my husband studied computer programming, math, and physics, speaks some Spanish, and played the tuba, so those will also come up). But it will be heavy on reading in all the areas. The one thing that this doesn’t cover is physical excellence, which I would put on equal footing with the others and is one of the reasons for homeschooling.

My husband’s main problem with homeschooling is social skills, so those will also have to be an important facet of the curriculum. It will probably go under the “social studies” heading. The arts are also important to him, and those might require outside classes for most of the subjects. But I’ll let the kids’ interests lead that, as long as they do some form of music and some form of visual art. (My 20 month old is already clearly a wind instrument fan!)

My goal would be to have an education that allows each child to proceed at his/her own level and be challenged (I remember too many years of being bored in public school), and to have short periods of time devoted to these main subject areas that leaves plenty of time for individual activities (whether those end up looking like unschooling or just playing tag in the backyard). I feel strongly that I could keep my children ahead of their peers in public school with about half the number of hours spent in the “classroom,” so homeschooling would allow them to have more time for fun. That’s another reason I’d prefer to homeschool.