What do you say?

What do you say to others when they start asking you when you are putting your kids in play school/preschool/Kindergarten? Any succinct good one liners that gets people off your back without going into a big long discussion?

It is good pont for discussion however my baby is just 6 months old but i have seen in my family that people start asking “When u r going to put your baby to school” even when they are 1.5 year old.

How about, When you cut me a check every month to pay the tuition? lol

If you think of anything good, do tell.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha…
Great view…

I hate when people ask those types of questions, especially to parents of infants…grr
Anyway, there are a few options really, depending on who the person is and what bearing they have on your life…

To nosy or condescending people you could remark in a pleasant voice, “When? Oh, well, I guess when I’m d*mned well ready too and not a minute before.” hmm, maybe a little too crass?

How about…When it becomes the most viable option for my family?

When he/she is old enough to express a desire to go.

Never. (Note the period at the end of that word…:slight_smile: )

I haven’t decided yet, but seeing as how I’m the parent and this is my child, I’m sure its very much my perogative.

Just be truthful. You say " I’m not putting them in school. We’re homeschooling." , and leave it at that.
If they say something, then I would say " when you pay for my child’ tuition." LOL

I have found just telling people that they aren’t going and that you are going to homeschool is plenty. You don’t need to or have to explain as to why. Its your business as how you education your child, and not theirs.

I just got this question yesterday for the first time. My son is almost three.

Being a certified teacher (my last assignment was in a kgtn classroom) I have a lot of early “school” resources and manipulatives. We are also enrolled in three classes right now (gymnastics, music and library story time). I responded by saying there really is no reason for me to pay for another class for him to “learn social skills” and I will be addressing the academic learning myself. This will do until we get nearer age 5 when the “what school are you sending him to” question comes up. I’m hoping that by then I will be even more confident of our decision to homeschool and will be able to respond well. Besides, it’s the children who behave like hers does that I want to keep my son from!

If they will ever go to school, I’d tell them that they’re going to go whenever that is. But we are not sending Zed to school, so I tell them “Never.” Or if they’re a jerk I tell them he’s going to Harvard/Yale/Cambridge/Queens or another highly ranked school “in 15 or 20 years.”

You don’t have to explain what you do with your kids. Just say we are home schooling them and leave it at that. You have the right to make the best decision for your child and the bottom line is that what is best for one child is not always best for another. Don’t be nervous you have the ability that many parents don’t. Be proud to be a home schooling parent. :biggrin: :biggrin:

it could be due to culture thing too, sometimes, maybe nothing to talk about and just trying to stir up a conversation and talk about kids…
or sometimes, ppl are just being nosy, and sometimes trying to make you feel like you are inadequate parents…

How about ‘I’m fortunate enough to not HAVE to do that.’

Indeed!! I’ll definitely second this one! :slight_smile: Karma for you :slight_smile:

I also LOVE this response! I should have thought of it because my response when people ask about being SAHM is “I’m very fortunate to be able to stay at home with my son.”