What do you have on your walls for teaching (posters, pocket charts, etc)?

Does anyone take advantage of hanging things on their walls to help with reading and math (or any subject)? I’ve been looking at different pocket charts and posters - and also just making charts myself. Just wondering what you found to be the most helpful! Thank you!

Hi, great post, I would love to know myself!!!

I know Shenli, Daddude, Waterdreamer and Tatianna have done some great suff, so I do hope they respond!

I have a giant map on my wall, and that is it, so I am excited to get some more tips!

I have a lot of posters from Dollar tree. The US Map they have is very good and it’s just a dollar

http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=map

Sarah, even I have a giant map on my wall. I also use lots of disney posters and my son seems to enjoy those very much. I can always see a big smile whenever he looks at those disney pics. His favorite toon is Donald Duck.

Thanks for the post. Did you get the poster online or from the store? From the online store, the posters have to buy in bulk (ie. 60 units per case). I don’t need so many. I only need to get a few pieces for our home. Will I be able to get these from the store?

I post words that we used in our Sidney Ledson program on his wall. I also have a large pocket chart, a poster of the Canadian Prime Ministers, and Canadian money I have to put up still.

I use posters from the teachers store. I change them as my dd gets older. We started with posters to help her learn things like different types of clothing, vehicles, etc. Then the alphabet, & now whatever subject she is interested in.

We found a nice basic world map poster and got it pressed to foam backing. In the closet are alphabet and number posters.
Parents who home school and provide pics and descriptions of their kids’ rooms offer great ideas for room set-ups, including posters and other stuff.

Currently I have World map and Flags of the world posters on my wall.

In my kitchen:
Currently I have 3 large posters: Canadian landmarks (a PC Railway ad actually!), Canadian Currency, and a National Geographic map of the world (relief map - not the different countries) -and a small sheet with the words to a continent and oceans song for my own memory! Up until last weekend I had 3 large posters of the different categories of musical instruments (brass & woodwind were combined).

In his learning loft:
An alphabet poster, an alphabet frieze, a number frieze, a National Geographic world map (countries), map of Canadian provinces, shape posters that we made ourselves, and a pocket chart that we should use more than we do!

I love using poster charts and magnetic boards from the teacher store to supplement learning. I have terrible manuscript after 1 minute of writing and I am so awful at drawing that there really isn’t another choice for us. I am posting a couple of pics of how we have utilized not only our walls but also our doors. At busy time,which is most of the time, these poster charts also help to remind (and inspire me) to review one or two “topics” a day.

here are a couple more

2 more

Sofi, thanks so much for sharing!!! I love your dinosoar cloth and all the wonderful charts!
Karma to you

What do you use to tape your walls? All my walls have paint (and we have a humid climate) and nothing sticks (sticky tape or sticky paste…)

I have painted walls too (but not humid climate)I like to use the 3M items ( usually sell at super markets, walmarts, targets, hardware stores etc; whether its hooks, straight double sticky side or velcro. It would all depend on the weight> For light stuff you could go with the 3M double sticky, for the magnetic boards I used the 3M velcro. Hopefully they work in your climate. They are much much better then sticky tape.

Thank you for sharing everything!! I love the idea of interactive things - like the magnetic board, calendar, etc…or just the easy rotation of the posters (Sofic - love how you have them on little rings!). I’ve found that if I leave a picture, or even a map, up too long - it just gets ignored. I’d love it if my husband could just put a big sheet of arylic on the wall with the top open for me to slide pictures in :). I’ll share pictures when our room is done! Thank you!

What’s on our walls and cupboards:

With my older son, I started with posters I made myself. He was really into Thomas and Friends, so I did an alphabet chart using the characters from the Island of Sodor. I’m no artist and the poster looks dreadful but my son loved it. You can see the pictures here:

http://figur8.net/baby/2008/10/30/make-your-own-educational-posters/

Now I have:

• Poster charts which I bought from the bookstore: the solar system, good habits, nursery rhymes.
  • Bits of Intelligence cards (Glenn Doman) - I stick the first and last card (i.e. the cover card and the one with mini pictures of all the cards in the series)

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/04/24/early-childhood-education-using-educational-posters/

• Wall stickers - the alphabets and numbers.

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/03/02/baby-fying-the-family-bedroom/

http://figur8.net/baby/2010/05/21/teaching-math-to-a-toddler/

• I have a world map poster which came from an animal sticker atlas that shows where different animals are found around the world. You’re supposed to find the outlines on the map and stick the stickers on - it was a fun activity that I did with my older son way back but the poster’s still on the wall.
  • we also have a model solar system

http://figur8.net/baby/2009/03/23/home-schooling-week-3-what-we-learned-this-week/

What do we use to stick our posters up?

I use 3M scotch tape. I find it’s kind enough on the cupboards and walls not to take off any paint. You’ll need more tape if you’re sticking up a big poster. Some of it comes off after a while, but I figure that’s usually a good sign that it’s time to change the posters. TheyCan is right - it’s great when it’s new but it gets ignored if it’s been up for too long.