What do You Feed your Baby?

What do you feed your baby? As in, what would you ,say is the staple of your babies diet favorite foods etc?

If your nursing, what is your diet like?

I hope to breastfeed for 2 years, but not exclusively. I’ll probably start feeding (organic only) foods and such at like 8 months or something, but I dont know. I know that I want to eat really well while I’m breastfeeding, and feed organic to my family as much as I possibly can.

hi,
my daughter is 18 months old and i still breastfeed her, but much, much less than before. it’s mostly whatever we are eating. at the beginning she would eat what i made her, cubes of food and so on, but now she refuses anything special and wants to eat off of my plate. so, we are all stuck eating organic :slight_smile: you should eat lots of nuts to keep up your milk supply if you want to breastfeed for 2 years, also fenugreek supplements help.
good luck,
liza

How do you encourage them to be good eaters when they get older? We have some friends whose kids are terrible eaters, I think mostly because their dad is so picky and the kids follow his example.

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 28 months now (exclusively for the first 6 months) and she is not showing any signs of self-weaning. Initially, I had a lot of problems with getting her to latch properly and with maintaining milk supply, especially once I went back to work when she was 7 weeks old. I was able to get through it with a combination of fenugreek capsules, lots of fluid, and eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Once she was 6 months old, we gradually introduced pureed vegetables and fruits - one new food every 3 days. Mostly, I got the recipes off this great website - http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ I also got several trays of those BPA-free baby cubes, so we would steam/bake/puree a week’s worth of homemade baby food every Saturday, divide the different kinds of food into the cubes, and freeze them. Then, each morning, I would take out several of them to send to daycare with my baby. Once she turned a year old, I stopped pumping and just continued nursing her for comfort and for bonding / reconnecting with her after a whole day at work. We also stopped pureeing her food and gradually introduced regular table food. My husband loves to cook and I think she inherited her adventurousness in food from him. To date, she has had Indian curry, Russian borscht, Japanese konnyaku, Filipino adobo, escargot, seafood paella, all kinds of dimsum, and even a taste of wasabe that she insisted on trying. We are waiting until she’s 3 before letting her have sushi, though. :smiley: The only staples in her diet are oatmeal with milk everyday for breakfast and rice with whatever we’re having for dinner. She also has to have a bowl of fresh fruit and a small plate of veggies to take to daycare for snacktime. She will usually choose to eat her fruits and veggies over the crackers or cookies they serve in her daycare.

If you’re interested, here is the link to a sort of food photo diary that we’ve been keeping since we introduced her first solid food. We regularly took pictures of what we are feeding her partly to remind ourselves what to feed the next baby should we ever decide to have another one. lol
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=anna.angeles&target=ALBUM&id=5542578617776260433&authkey=Gv1sRgCJrvm8rNo4eMNg&feat=email

We are blessed to have a baby who is not only a healthy eater but an adventurous one as well. :slight_smile:

You are truly awesone aangeles. After going to work and doing all these along with early learning with your daughter needs lots of patience and a great commitment. Do you have some tips for working mothers, like how to manage time to do early learning program with their babies. I plan to go sooner to work, so I would appreciate any kind of suggestions from you.

@ aangeles,

I am a working mum too and my daughter is almost the same age as yours… I really want to know, what do you eat? Where do you get all the energy and time to do all this? I am exhausted all the time… and never seems to get enough rest…

reei,

I think I have been perpetually exhausted since I had Ella two years ago! lol Everyday, my to-do list seems to get longer and longer and the days (and nights) seem to get shorter and shorter. There are so many other things that I want to do with/teach Ella but just don’t have enough time. Sometimes, I think I am the rate-limiting factor in her learning because she learns things as fast as I can prepare them.

Anyway, the unsung hero in all this is my dear hubby. He is mainly the one who plans her menu for the week and actually cooks it, and he also helps out A LOT around the house. As I mentioned, he just loves to cook and, according to him, it is his way of relaxing after a long day at the hospital. :smiley:

aangles-

I wish I had read this just a few short months ago. I weaned my daughter (mommy led) at 19 months. She didn’t show any signs of stopping but I felt a lot of pressure to. She still pats my chest fondly and calls them “milkies.” I am still overemotional about the whole thing and reading this thread just makes me want to cry. Of all the parenting decisions I have made, this is one I regret. :frowning: My son prematurely weaned himself at 9 months from being exposed to too many bottles (the other major nursing mistake I regret- giving him too many bottles, but tandem nursing in general made #2’s nursing experience that much harder and we used bottles way more than with #1 who refused them altogether) and at that point I went on a medication that would be excreted into breast milk. If I had not, I think if I put DD to my breast now she would still latch. :frowning:

Organic vegan food is what we eat now, when he was a baby he ate organic baby food (Earths Best Organics), its nice that there is such a wide selection now. When I was still feeding, I ate a lot of raw, and living foods rather than nutrient depleted, artificially colored/flavored foods. Through my next pregnancy I plan on eating a 100% raw vegan diet to give my child as many nutrients as possible.

It’s nice to read of adventurous eaters. It’s been kind of hard as of late with my daughter since she doesn’t seem as hungry and in general I have noticed that she will only eat what I’m eating so I stopped freezing/pureeing stuff at about a year. Still, vegetables are hard. Aangles, how did you get your daughter to eat her veggies? Raw my daughter doesn’t seem to chew well and steamed, she doesn’t find too appealing.

Aww…TmT, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. :frowning: A large part of the reason why we are still breastfeeding is because I had SO MUCH difficulty in the beginning building up milk production (I had to pump every 2 to 2.5 hours round the clock for more than a month, use a supplemental nursing system, etc. etc.) that I just want to enjoy the benefits as long as I can. If, as you said, you had to go on medication, then you really had no choice about it right? I am sure your kids will benefit much more from having a healthy mama than from breastfeeding past infancy.

:slight_smile: