What do you do to promote your child's listening skill?

Hello All,

I am looking for tools and resources to help develop my two and a half year old son’s listening skills. Right now I let him listen to classical musics but not sure how much it would help. I have purchased some audio books and also will be taking him to story time acitivity at the local library.

What else should I do?

Thank you!

Elle

I’d suggest playing specific games with him. My friend just took her son to a pre-school testing session and these were some of the games she was encouraged to do.

“Get Me” - look at his toy shelf and say “Please go get me the red toy above the puzzles” or “Here are three toys the yellow duck, the pink pig, and the black and white cow. Put the animal that says ‘quack’ on my lap.” Use LOTS of discriptors.

“Follow Directions” - start with one directive, then move to two and then work up to three at a time. “Take off your shoes.”, then “Take off your shoes and put them on the rack.”, then “Take off your shoes, put them on the rack and then come to the table for a cookie.”

“Repeat after me” - Say a silly word and see if he can repeat it. Say a simple sentence and have him repeat it. Continue making the sentences longer and with more detail.

“Can you hear me?” - play with distance and volume - whisper something to him from far across the room/house “Do you want a strawberry?” or something equally appealing would be good. Play with tones and expressions in your voice. Say with an angry voice “I love ketchup” (or something your child thinks is hilarious) then a sad voice, then a happy voice, etc. Have him do the same.

kizudo, Thanks so much for your suggestions! I will definately try them with my son.
He is going to preschool this summer so I would like to help improve his listening skills.

Elle