What are your favourite early learning programs, books or DVDs?

Besides LR and LM of course. :slight_smile: I have learned so much from the Brillkids community, so thought I would ask the knowledgeable parents on here. I am thinking of purchasing some DVDs and/or programs and/or books for my 22mo, and have some idea of what I would like to get, but want to make sure I haven’t missed some options. I am looking for something in each category:
Reading
Music
A second language
Science
Math

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I am currently using YBCR. My son has only been using it for 2 months (he’s 8mos.) and he seems to enjoy it. he laughs and gets excited when i play the videos and he loves the books and flash cards. He already recognizes the words clap, wave, and hi. Good luck on finding something you and your child will enjoy :slight_smile:

My son has enjoyed

• anything Leap Frog
    -YBCR
    -YCCR-
    -MonkiSee MonkiDo
    -Memoflix
    -Tweedlewinks
    -Whistlefritz
    -Muzzy
    -Reading Eggs Online and Books
  • Headsprout Online and Books
    -Munchkin math
    -anything Wink To Learn
    -Hooked On Phonics readers and DVDs
    Geez the list could go on. We don’t use all these things at once of course but rotate them.

YBCR, YCCR, TREBELLINA, LITTLE PIM, LEAP FROG… CHINESE POEMS DVD…

Well we are also using different things at times, such as:
-YBCB
-Star-fall
-Signing time
-LR
-LM
-Quran CD
-some native language CD
-any kid of short story book

I was going to say Signing Time. We also enjoy the Leap Frog dvds.

My daugther and my own favorite learning products that we have used are:

YBCR
Little Math
Signing time
Little Pim (personally i think it is way better then Muzzy, professor toto…ect. I researched many before finding and loving this product)
Trebellina

These are programs my daughter loves also…

Reading- Preschool Prep for sight words, Letter factory for letters and their sounds, Bob books, “Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching reading”, Reading eggs, we also used YBCR and Little Reader and my son enjoyed them but I didn’t see as much progress with them

Music- Classical Magic

A second language- Little Pim and Muzzy in French

Science- Peter Weatherall’s DVD’s (simple science, more simple science, simplest science, etc…) I recommend this hands down. It is so informative, funny and a great deal

Math- Kumon workbooks starting at the tracing level, Right start math games, Jones Genius, counting together by 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, 5’s, 10’s etc, Sterling Math flashcard program

In addition to some other things already mentioned, we like Brainy Baby ABCs, Brainy Baby 123s and Brainy Baby Shapes and Colors.

The things I’ve used so far ( also keep in mind my daughter is 4)

Your Baby Can Read
Monkisee and Memoflix DVD’s
Starfall
Little Reader

TouchMath for math
Kumon workbooks
I also may add in the Learning Mathematics with Abacus

Reading lots of books to my daughter. Having fun.

There is a combination of different methods and curriculum I’ve been using with Ethan. Mostly anything that is interesting and is a few minutes in duration. We love a few things among each method from Charlotte Mason, Montessori, Doman, etc. Books I often refer back to & use are “The Well Trained Mind” by S. Bauer, “Complete Resource Book for Preschoolers” by P. Schiller, “What Your KG Needs to Know” by E.D. Hirsch, Montessori books, and a few others.

Math:

• Hands on math games, mostly homemade

• Mathematical Reasoning (not yet ordered for future use)

• Jones Genius Math (not yet used)

Ethan makes tons of things with “HouseHold Items” by K. Ross

Core Curriculum:

• Tweedlewink

• Building Thinking Skills Primary (Grades: K-1st)

• BrainQuest WK BK, Making the Grade by D. Van Beek & other Wk Bk’s (not yet started for future use)

• Lot’s of reading from various books & phonics from Flechcards (Daddude) & YCCR Dvd’s.

Writing: Printed worksheets, D’Nealian & montessori inspired writing.

Music:

• Music classes & Live/taped clips of performances

• Themes to Remember by Majorie Persons (for future use)

• Music Ace Deluxe (not started yet)

Art: “Drawing with Children” by M. Brookes, “Discovering Great Artists” by M. Kohl, and ideas from different books.

Geography: Expedition Earth by confessionsofahomeschooler.com, various books, youtube, online websites.

Natural learning happens throughout the day and we only do “academics” 30 min. a day. My motto is make it short, fun, and simple!