What are your children reading?

Since there are a number of children on this site reading books now, I thought it might be useful to post a list of the earlier and later books your children have read and what worked with them and didn’t.

My daughter only started reading books just over a week ago but has gone through a number of beginning readers already and we are slowly moving to more difficult books, but taking it gradually as she seems to need confidence. Here is the list she has read in order:

Ladybird Keywords Book 1a - Play with us
Ladybird Keywords Book 1b - Look at this
Read at Home - Level 1a Funny Fish
Read at Home - Level 1b - Dad’s birthday
Read with me (Ladybird) Book 2 - The Dragon Den
The Picnic (sorry don’t know what series this is)
Read with Ladybird Level 1 - A little too late
Ladybird Keywords book 2b - Have a go
Ladybird Keywords Book 2a - We have fun

After she is ok with level 2 I plan on introducing the level 1 read it yourself books (the newer ones and Level 2 read it yourself (older ones) as well as reading further in the Read at home series. I also have some early scholastic and Usborne early reading books which I am fitting in when they appear to be at the correct level. I have found however that she is now more confident when reading and will read sentences from any book if I am careful to select things she can sound out or that she already knows. She does also pick books up that are too difficult for her right now and pretend to read them following the text with her finger correctly and reading the owrds she knows correctly but totally making up everything else.

If anyone else has a list of books your children have read early on, please share it.

Books my daughter read at 2 years old included Shapes, Colours, Opposites and The alphabet (various series all with only one to two words per page)

My son is 4 now and he is reading:
Nate the Great series
How to dig a hole to the center of the world
The original Winnie the Pooh and Beatrix Potter books
Oh and he loves “Commander Toad” series

When he started reading longer books he was all about “Frog and Toad” and “Henry and Mudge”

Thanks for replying - its always great to know what books to head for next. Laurana has read another 3 since I last wrote:

Floppy’s bath (Oxford Reading Tree Stage 2)
Dinosaur Rock
The billy goats gruff (Ladybird Read it yourself Level 2 - old series 1978 I think)

She is definitely feeling more confident since she showed she can read the word “collector” today (saw it on an advert) without any help and I have never showed her that word before.

Do you mean what our children are reading, themselves, silently, all the way through? Or could it include books they pick up and flip through at random and then carry to another part of the house and drop? Might it also include books we read to our children? These would be three very different lists…

My older (now about 4.5 years) doesn’t seem to read many books cover to cover by himself. He does this with some Berenstain Bears books, and occasionally some harder books, e.g., re-reading some Usborne books I’ve read to him, but more often really easy baby books, just for fun.

He carries around with him and flips through all sorts of books, but I couldn’t really say how much of these he reads. Sometimes he reads a lot of them, but more often he’s obviously just skimming, or even just toting a much-loved book around like a teddy bear.

As to the books I read to him, well, we’ve done a lot, there’s no way to make a short list even of the books we’ve read lately. Bedtime reading has included easy versions of The Time Machine, which he loved, and easy versions of Peter Pan, The Invisible Man, The Call of the Wild, and quite a few others. We have really gotten into the Usborne Reading Program books (http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/usborne-reading-programme.aspx?area=YR) and the Great Illustrated Classics series, which is really great–excellent transitions from picture books to chapter books, as they have a full-page picture on every other page. As to original books for bedtime reading, we’ve gone through the first (long) chapter of The Jungle Book recently, after reading no fewer than two easier versions previously. We also listened to the whole thing (the original) in the car. Let’s see, then we also almost finished the first Encyclopedia Brown (he said he wanted to be as smart as Encyclopedia Brown!), read the whole Usborne Illustrated Classics for Boys which has a lot of great stuff, etc. That’s just the bedtime reading. Oh, and recently, we started reading this Paragon one-volume Q-and-A encyclopedia about the U.S.A.–I have my regrets about this because it is so badly edited, I caught several mistakes just in the first chapter. He’s pretty interested in it maybe because I supplement it with pictures found online of the different things discussed (I have the iPad next to the bed lately).

At mealtimes we still read a large variety of books, mostly nonfiction. Not infrequently I arrive at the table ready to read something and he’s already reading something himself, so I just pick up the newspaper. (Obviously, in our family, reading at the table is not regarded as rude.) To be honest, sometimes we don’t do anything very educational at mealtime, but we’re keeping up with it more or less. A harder book that we recently finished at the table was D-Day Landings (DK Readers). This has an interesting personal story to go with it. At some point a few months ago, somehow D-Day was mentioned (possibly it was in some book, but I forget), and I told my boy the story of D-Day. He was greatly impressed, and then that evening he said he was going to tell me a story, and he proceeded to tell me the D-Day story in great detail. Then he demanded to get books about D-Day. I finally got one (it was hard to find one that was even possibly accessible) after a few weeks and he wasn’t interested then. But he did finally get it out and ask to read it, so we did. Pretty dry stuff, for a lot of people, I imagine, but I did my best to keep it exciting, to explain everything possibly puzzling (he stares at me expectantly whenever he doesn’t understand something), getting out a map or globe or the iPad for extra illustrations, etc.

I was also surprised when he was willing to go all the way through the Usborne Alexander the Great book. He was talking about Alexander for the next few days. Now we’re halfway through Julius Caesar. He’s really learning history now (we also read the Usborne book about Rome, and others I’m sure), I’m very pleased to say, and I’m kind of surprised as well–all of a sudden, he’s interested in it. And not so crazy about transportation…

We read lots of “leveled readers” many of which are about different animal groups and topics in science. We have read many, many of the “Let’s Read and Find Out” science books, there’s a huge number of those ones and they’re all great!

But…I think you mean books that your child reads himself. I wish mine would read in a more disciplined way, but I am not going to get too worried about it, he’s only 4 and he does read some to himself…

Thanks DadDude - that is actually very helpful. Its great to know what kids can manage to listen to at various ages too and what they can listen to.

Laurana is just 3 - we (I read to her) are still reading a large amount of picture books and also grade 2 first chapter books. I have read some of Charlotte’s Web (unabridged) to her and are also reading 101 favourite Bible Stories almost daily. Non fiction she also still enjoys mostly picture books about animals and also some children’s ones about vets and hospitals. We are also reading children’s classics but abridged still and more like picture books (eg Jungle Book) and Beatrix Potter. Actually I just read anything we can get our hands on and she still likes to go back occassionally to very simple books about shapes and colours and even the alphabet though she has known these since she was 18 months old. She also still likes touchy feely books and pop up books so we add those in for fun at times too. I have read Make way for McCloskey and various children’s treasuries to her also. I like to try new things on her too so when we go to the library we do take out some (usually non fiction) books on things I am totally unsure will interest her and she has shown a lot of interest in strange things like trains and Egyptian mummies and any book where there are fascinating pictures especially if her mother can make up an o the spot fictional story about it with her as the main character - which is quite taxing on me but she loves it.

when you read this books to you children, normally you just borrow at library or buy it from book shop?

when I took my son (4 year old now) to the library, he just get the book from the shelter and do not even have a look.

now I am reading book to him, the latest one is

1. GOGO’s adventure with english.
  2. Princess Polly and pony.

for the first one, he like to watch the video, for the book itself, sometime he like to read, sometime, he doesn’t.

I both get books from the library and buy them - we have a book sale place that sells second hand books extremely cheaply though they only sell them once a month and there is not a huge selection but we have still managed to pick up a number of very good books there. I am having another child though so know they will all get used again and some of our books are ones I used as a child too which have been very well used but I also like to get some new books - the feel of a new book is great and I want my daughter to have that too.

My son’s favorite reading material for many many months was his daily journal. In appropriate print size etc, we’d simply write about his daily sightings and encounters in a notebook. It’s a perfect way to add in new vocab words. No word is to big when it describes his things! He would ask to read his notebook daily and get so excited to review his day that way. He never got tired of reading those! We have a whole stack of notebooks.

Such a great idea. I think we’ll have to do that.

We mostly buy books, which would explain why we have, now, six bookcases. But we’ve gone to the library many times before. I get books about equally from the local Barnes & Nobel, Half Price Books, and Amazon.

I also like the journal idea - sounds fun and useful.

My daughter is showing more and more confidence now with the reading.

More books: By the stream (Stage 3 Oxford Reading Tree)
My Messy Room (Scholastic My first Hello Reader)
I am lost (Scholastic Reader Level 1)
Goldilocks and the three bears (Read it yourself Ladybird Level 1 - published 1998 I think)

I am still doing all reading with her as she does need a bit of help but having been through so many books now we also give her time to reread them during rest time by herself - I am not watching then so I am not too sure what is going on, but have walked in on her reading before. She is also enjoying doing the fairy tales as they are familiar stories and we are using them to encourage her to read more naturally - as in Pretend to be the Daddy bear, how would he talk and that way we get a more natural and faster reading speed then we have had up til now.

Laurana is still reading at a rapid rate though now we are repeatng more of the books for practice then we were at the earlier stages.

The Ugly Duckling (Read it yourself Ladybird Level 1 - new series)
The Classroom Pet (Scholastic Level 1 - this was too difficult - she got stuck on quite a few words - for her so we will repeat i later)
The Princess and the Pea (Read it yourself Level 1 - new series)

We have changed our reading schedule with her now - if she wants to read we do so when she requests it, otherwise usually before story time at night she will read a few pages to us. She is reading longer passages now though still not a long story (ie she will get through the whole book in Oxford Reading Tree but not the Ladybird Series) I have gone back to starfall to reinforce the phonics also and it is amazing the difference I see here compared to when we did it probably about 6 months back. I am planning on using reding to teach math now too as she seems to do best with word sums that can be acted out (basic addition) and so we might as well get her to read the word sum - this will also add meaning to the math.

We have changed things a little now and are doing more Starfall to get some phonics in. I am also finding with slightly harder or longer books that DD does better when she reads one page and I read the next. I am also occassionally having to go back to easier books and even repeat books just for enjoyment.

The Little Red Hen (Ladybird Read it yourself Level 1 - new version)
The new House (ORT Stage 4)
The secret Room (ORT Stage 4)
The Play (ORT Stage 4)
Ladybird Keywords Level 3a

Hi Tanikit,

What would you say is the equivalent level of the ORT Stage 4 books in the Ladybird Read-It-Yourself series? My DD is reading level 2 and mostly level 3 books in the Ladybird series and I was thinking of getting her the ORT books - I just don’t know if I should start at ORT Stage 4 or Stage 5.

Thanks!

My son is reading to me
-Reading Eggs books
-Headsprout books
-Early Readers that I find at thrift shops and garage sales
I’m reading to him, or we read together
-Franklin the Turtle
-Math Start books
-Bob the Builder(a few favorite)
-WorryWoo books
-Precious Moments
-Berenstain Bears

Aangeles it is hard to say - ORT has a couple of series and I am not sure the softcover books I have been reading to her are as difficult as the hardcover ones that seem to be more common (my DD is not ready for level 4 of the hardcovers yet but can mange level 2 and some of level 3) If you get the standard hardcover books I would get one in level 3 and one in level 4 and see which ones you think she can cope with before getting more. I haven’t looked at level 5 myself yet. Vocabulary wise I think ORT is a bit more challenging than Ladybird - it uses past tenses sooner and “ing” and so on but the stories are shorter and it is easier to work out what a word is from the picture which is why my DD is ahead on these books (she struggles more with length of the story than she seems to struggle with the words themselves) The Stage 4 books I listed here are in a set of 6 that come together and the stories lead on from each other - we got them at a second hand book store so have to make do with the ones they had.

Waterdreamer I remember Berenstain Bears but haven’t seen them around recently - maybe I should get some of those too. Will have to go and look at quite a few of the others as I haven’t heard of them all before.

Haven’t updated in a while - my daughter got chicken pox and that slowed things down a bit, although even through that she did read some books.

Little Red Riding Hood (Level 3 of old Ladybird Read it Yourself)
The Enormous Turnip (Level 2 of Old Ladybird Read it Yourself) - we do go backwards sometimes as this seems to build confidence
We have started some of level 3 of Oxford Reading Tree though she will only read some of these books - she can read it all, but mostly I read to her and she reads some sentences.
Put me in the Zoo
Green Eggs and Ham (Dr Seuss - I also read most of this and she reads a few pages - again she knows all the words)
One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish (Dr Seuss - same story these books seem to be too long for her and me)
Kate and the crocodile (Book 5 of another Ladybird Series - sorry tired tonight and don’t feel like checking which)

She is also now reading more when we are out and about - she will read a lot of signs and even sentences written on shop doors or when we are at a restaurant and need something to do while waiting for the food then she reads the bottles of sauces or the specials. She is also showing and interest in what she calls “tiny words” - words written in very small font usually on an advert where I have pointed out the larger font.

I have started reading her a Disney encyclopaedia although I do paraphrase quite a bit - she learnt the word troglodyte and spelunking today and was quite happy telling Dad about caves this evening.
We also read her Balto, the bravest dog, Planet Earth (and Usborne book) and Cowboys (another Usborne beginner book which she loved)
We are reading 101 favourite Bible STories which is actually quite a difficult book for her age and again where necessary I will paraphrase, but she is managing it really well even in its original format.
We were reading chapter books, but put a hold on it while she was sick an will probably start again in the New Year as they took too much concentration from her.

Next year I will start homeschooling her full time since I will be on maternity leave. We have started teaching her to tell the time and are working on more basic math - she is showing more interest in numbers. I will continue the reading and expand in various ways on other subjects. Will also start teaching writing though I have no idea how she will do with this as up til now we have done mostly patterns and tracing but she is showing more of an interest there too.

My son (4 yrs old) is reading lots of series:

Nate the Great
Cam Jansen
Jigsaw Jones

and then whatever “school reading” I have him do

We took a break from reading for a while as Laurana was getting a bit restless with it.

She is now reading Book 4b of Ladybird Reading Series to get her back into it with words she knows well
Frisky and the ducks
The See-Saw (Stroyworlds series level 3)

We are reading

Bob Books
Early Reader Books
Aesop Fables books from Brillkids
Dr. Seuss books
Early Reader books that I have
beginnger books from the library.
We do lots of reading together. My daughter really likes Fancy Nancy and Pinky Dinky Doo

My 4 year, 5 month old is going through the BOB books, 1 a night. He’s currently doing the Kindergarten Sight Words set. I didn’t do early learning with him (or not like I’m doing with the baby now, or what’s common here). He learned the alphabet/letter sounds about 6 months ago.