what are the signs of a child who's bridging from their right brain 2 left brain

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone here enlighten me to what are the actual signs in a little detail. I have the right brain education book from right brain kids and while I love it I wish it went into more detail.

I would love to here from you.

Kimba

Signs of bridging would be when a child is able to perform any functions which are more left brain. So when a child is bridging, they would start to talk, walk, be able to do puzzles, feed themselves, etc

Sorry Kimba, I hope you don’t mind my hijacking this thread.

Sarah,

I did not know about right brain education for babies until my daughter was 15-16 months old. I started her on YBCR when she was 3 months and she started sight reading when she was 9-10 months old. She also talked early, walked early, is very well-coordinated physically, and is excellent at solving puzzles. She turned 2 in July and is now reading at about a 1st-2nd grade level. So, she has been very left brain dominant since a very young age.

I started doing right brain activities with her when I learned about Doman Math, EK, Tweedlewink, etc. from this forum (when she was 15-16 months) but she had already started reading by then. My question now is: Should I continue to do flashing activities with her? Will it still benefit her? She watches Tweedlewink once a day, one lesson for three days, and we are now on lesson 18. I am still flashing dot cards at her using LM and we are currently doing numbers 30-40. I also show her a lesson or two of Wink to Learn Chinese but it seems like she doesn’t learn as much from flashing as from other methods (e.g. multisensory, repetition, etc).

So, should I continue doing right brain activities with her? If so, what activities aside from the ones I’ve already mentioned do you suggest? Or should I just accept the fact that she had already bridged to her left brain even before I knew about rb education? Can babies who have already bridged still learn anything from rb methods?

Sorry for the long post. And thanks!

Your not hijacking the thread. That was what my thoughts are exactly. Mydaughter can read and is now speaking in sentences. She also began walking at 11months so how is this left brain and is it time for the wink programme over tweddlewink?

She also loves to do puzzles but absolutley adores art and craft to and has a very active imagination. The other day she was playing with her duplo and telling me she was building a playground for Lego man and then she decided to build a house.

So I am confused as you are.

Kimba

Hello aangeles

you must ALWAYS continue to nurture the right brain!!! Remember that what is important, is that even when the bridging has occurred, that you ALWAYS need to continue to nurture the right brain - even as an adult!!!

Pamela (tweedlewink co-founder) aprovides the following guidelines fr the balance inyour lessons:
Prenantal - 100% RB input
Newborn (-09mo) - 100% RB input
Infant (10-18mo) - 90% RB input, 10% LB input
Infant-toddler (± 19-27 80% RB input 20% LB input
Toddler (28-36mo) - 70% RB input 30% LB input
Preschool (3-6 years) 60%RB input, 40%LB input

RB - right brain,
LB - Left brain

So you can see that despite the bridging that has occurred, you absolutely are encourages to continue exensive RB stimulation!!! NEVER give up, and remember that the more RB input your xhild receives, the better their chance of having photographic memory, speed reading, and tackling problems more creatively, using their RB.

Sarah,

Thanks for replying. That cleared up a lot of my questions. :smiley: I will continue to stimulate her right brain. She is currently 27 months old so she should have 70-80% RB input, right? I don’t think I am doing enough RB activities. She watches TW once a day, LR twice a day, LM once a day, a couple of lessons from Wink to Learn Chinese, and a couple of categories from the Doman picture dictionary CD-ROMS. The rest of the day she is in daycare where presumably all of the activities are LB (storytime, arts and crafts, playing on the swing and slide, etc.) I don’t know how to add on more RB input.

On the bright side, she decided to surprise me last night. We were having dinner out and there was a vase of sunflowers in the reception area of the restaurant. She announced to me, “Mama, sunflowers are so pretty …painted by Van Gogh.” Then she thought for a while and added, “also by Monet!” As far as I know, it is only through flashing that she has encountered these paintings and artists, so she must be retaining something from the flashing to remember, right? I have to keep reminding myself that she is most likely absorbing stuff even when she doesn’t seem to be paying attention or appears uninterested.

Thanks for the encouragement! :biggrin:

Kimba15 thank you for raising up this question.

Sarah,
This is he first time i see that information on %RB an LB at differente ages. I appreciate it.
I am surprise that 3-6 yrs still have more Rb than LB. That will make me try more RB with my grandson.

I think that the idea is thaty in everyday life, they get exposed to so much Left Brain thinking anyway, that you need to constantly keep the stimulation of the right brain up. My daughter is 18 months, and I can see how much exposure she has to LB acitivities, but I constantly have to do acitivities on a daily basis to keep the RB stimulation up. I cannot believe the results. I am truly a fan for life. Mothers stop me as they cannot believe how clever she is, and most importantly that she is always happy and smiling.

I love RB learning. As Pamela say"Right brain learning. Where learning begins with a hug".

Just adding on to what Sarah said… I spoke to Wennie about my older son who is also “very left-brain oriented” and she said it was still okay. Can your children tell the time? If not, that’s a good sign they are still largely right brain dominant.

Besides, it is never too late to work on developing the right brain. Just to share with you my own personal experience… I bought the Wink program and have used it on myself. I did the PhotoEyeplay activity - just one sitting. That week, when I took my son to his Heguru class, I saw an after image of the Mandala activity they did in class and I could remember the pattern and colours more easily than in the previous classes.

So don’t stop doing right brain activities for your children. You can even do them for yourself to help develop your right brain!

My baby is 1 year old and she is not walking yet but then I heard that that is actually a good thing for the brain development. And now I read that even speaking means that she is already bridging!!! She can say 15 whole meaningful words in our native language and about 10 in english!!! Can anyone help with RB activities? What can I do with her? I am a preschool teacher- so total LB! I am a bit lost here :mellow:
many thanks

Hi Lelask

I would recommend that you purchase Pamela Hickein’s book called “right brain education”. It’s filled with full lessons specifically for RB education. YOu’re absolutely right - walking is LB, but then so is talking. It sounds like you’re doing well and one of the most fundamental things about right brain education is love - so well done!

There are a few posts on this forum talking about RB activities so you can search for those

The book is available on www.rightbrainkids.com

The reading software available on this forum is also really right brain - flashing the wqords one secind at a time (little reader and little maths)

Shoot! I taught Wesley how to tell time last year. But he still loves right brain activities anyhow.

hi Sarah , thank you very much for you reply.You are always big help to me :slight_smile:
I have looked at the website- is the postage always this crazy when buying edu material for children??? Plus the duty fee. I can imagine what else I can buy for the money I will pay for the postage. There shoul be an option to download the material :yes:

Has anyone bought the book already? Is it worth the expensive postage??

I have and the book is really great worth the postage. I just would love more and more info on this topic. It is just so fascinating!!!

Kimba15 - I have Pamela’s book, too. It opened the door to Right Brain for me. I was so hungry for more information on Right Brain education that I bought two books written by Makoto Shichida that were printed in English. You can buy them from their Japan website.

http://shichida.co.jp/english/c1-3_books.php

From there, I heard about “wave reading” - which is actually also called Quantum Speed Reading. It’s a form of right brain reading where children could absorb the information from books by fanning the pages. Sounds incredible and too fantastic to be true, but I was intrigued. It was discovered by a Shichida teacher who tried the exercise on the children in her class just to see what would happened. She was surprised when one child told her he could see pictures coming out of the book. She later tried it with English books and one child managed to read the story of The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway even though there were no pictures and he could not understand English.

I found a book on QSR written by the Shichida teacher who discovered it. It is called Quantum Speed Reading: Awakening Your Child’s Mind by Yumiko Tobitani.

One of the things I didn’t like about Shichida’s books was that he never really gave a detailed methodology on how to develop your child’s right brain. He shared lots of examples from teachers about what they did in their class but there was no specific methodology. It was only after reading Tobatani’s book that I got a better understanding of the Right Brain activities they did in Shichida. Reading back on the examples in Shichida’s book, I realised that Tobitani’s book tells you all about them.

In another post, I wrote down the following as right brain activities recommended:

* Imaging
* Flashcards
* Linking Memory
* Mandala
* Tangrams
* Memory Grid
* Quantity Recognition
* ESP Games
* Reading

Tobitani focuses more on imaging and eye training:

* after imaging
* eye exercises
* 3D stereograms
* meditation

When I was searching for books on 3D stereograms, I found “Magic Eye: Beyond 3D” and was intrigued to find that they also included that the benefits for doing these exercises being accelerated learning and speed reading, boosting brain performance, improving sports performance, developing intuition (which are all right brain abilities).

There’s actually a lot out there on right brain education if you know how to look for it.

Waterdreamer - forgot to add… I have also taught my older son to read the time :frowning: but I take heart in the fact that you can still develop the right brain at any time. It just gets harder the older you are. Even we can develop our right brains, but it would take us a lot longer and require more effort compared to a young child.

Great thread everyone!
I’m wondering about math and numbers. we have flashed all the doman equations and have started to transition to numerals. she recognizes them and can count to 15 in english spanish italian and sign language (my DD is 19 mo.). we are starting to do addition and subtraction with numerals. is this LB?
Can someone please advice on how to teach math in a RB way? or can we teach math in a LB manner and do everything else RB?
thanks!
the doc :clown:

Doc, have u checked this site http://rightbrainmath.com/ If you use it, share your experiences.

By the way, have you used visualprimer reading/math kit.

thanks for the info on the site, arvi. looks good… and reasonable! i’ll let you know how it goes.
as far as visual primer, i would LOVE to use it… but the last time i talked to Joe the creator, it sounded like they were concentrating on the reading. i think with so many reading programs out there they would be better off concentrating on the foreign language and the math. if you ever find out when they release the math program, do let us know.
thanks again for the link! can’t wait to get started,
the doc :clown:

Doc - there’s also Soroban. Maths using the Japanese abacus. Chris wrote a lot about it in one of the posts in this forum - don’t know if you read them.

I figured since the right brain is an image brain, Soroban would be considered doing Math in a right brain way because they talk about the children picturing a mental abacus while they work out the Math problems in their head and this is why they can do mental math so rapidly.

In Heguru, they also show flash cards of the Japanese abacus but so far they have only taught the children how to count with the abacus. Will have to wait to see what comes next…