What are the essential early learning products must haves!!

Hi!

As a new mum on a limited budget I woud like to know what are the absolute must haves for early learning education? Going through this forum there seems to be so many ways new thing popping up, stuff about memory enhancement, early reading, physical excellent i want it all for my dd but i do not want to buy something that will only end up getting bogged down in and not using!!! and then end up not teaching it.

So in your opinion what would be the top 5 must haves for optimal early learning advancement?

The top 5 is aside from little reader because we all know how good it is my little one loves little reader lite!!! :smiley:

what I use on a daily basis:

YBCR DVDs and books/word cards (I think I bought the TV set from their site)
paper flash cards (I use mine for encyclopedic knowledge)
Tweedlewink (I used them daily for several months, and now I’m taking a break so we can watch signing time instead)
Baby Signing Time or Signing Time
Classical Magic (I just bought these about a month ago as a recommendation from someone else on the forum. Gabriel is a music lover, and he really enjoys them. It seems like a really great program if you want to teach your child music history and an appreciation for music.)

Besides them, like you said LR and lots and lots of books!

I think there is only one absolute must have and that is an enthusiastic mother who is enjoying her baby.

On the most limited budget you can probably get most of the basics through the internet and this site - you already have LR. I would make sure you have a good set of educational toys that are age appropriate (at 4 months this could be an activity gym and some rattles) and then if you want to teach reading get some good card and a thick red artliner.

If you still have funds, I’d go for either YBCR or one or two of Domans books (teach your baby to read and one of the other ones perhaps) and then possibly Signing Time and maybe Tweedlewink.

Personally though, I am doing this on an equally limited budget - I started with only Little Reader and have since bought two Doman books (Reading and Math) - at this stage I feel YBCR would already be a waste for my child as she has learnt more words than she’d be exposed to on the DVDs, but if I’d had money earlier than I might have bought it.

I love Tanikit’s answer! You asked a great question, and response is very encouraging. I just want to add a few free resources:

Open Office 2.4 (.org)- is free software that resembels word and powerpoint, so it will allow you to down load the Brill Kids downloads if you don’t have the correct programs on your computer.

PowerFlash cards- has a 30 use free trial without requiring a C.C or even an e-mail, so if you want to get started with math dots it can help. It is especially good for equations.

Good Luck,
Jennifer

Dear All,

You took the thought out of my head! :slight_smile:

We currently have

1. Your Baby Can Read > http://www.yourbabycanread.com/
  2. Doman Reading/Math programs > http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=K (my favorites)

I plan to buy:

1. Little Reader Home Basic - when is the new release coming?
  2. Doman Encyclopedic Knowledge > http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=K
  3. Doman Physical Superbness

Considering:

1. TweedleWink > http://www.rightbrainkids.com/
  2. Additional IAHP materials

For me personally, I prefer Doman’s Reading/Math as the most beneficial. However, I think the most important thing is to start a program and be consistent.

• Ayesha :slight_smile:

What about some of the flashcards available in the market?? How good are they?

did you see those free downloads, we have lots of flashcards and slide shows. hope that would satisfy you

For us the list would be:

1. Doman books (You can do most of these programs with just paper and a red pen/good printer, or little reader of course)
    Reading
    Math
    Encyclopedic Knowledge
    Physically Superb
    Teach Your Baby to Swim
  2. Classical Magic
  3. Lots of opportunity for movement
    Swimming
    Gymnastics
    Trips to the park
    Dancing to music
  4. Your Baby Can Read (Not necessary, but it give them info via another route and is nice when your baby is maybe just waking up and wants to relax and maybe have a drink or instead of some other mindless video)

hi there.

we are also on a budget and unfortunately for us the rand is at 10 to the dollar so we have to multiply price by ten.
i feel so sad that for us it is so expensive. ive been using reader lite but now my son is bored of them.
i am hoping to convince my husband to buy it on special though as my baby is 20 months and i cant wait any longer. i rather have that little debt then live life knowing that i could have done more for my baby.
wish me luck in convincing dh