What Age do you start Encyclopedic Knowledge?

I have a 1 year old daughter that I just started YBCR about 3 months ago… I had no idea all this existed! I have a 21 year old, a 19 year old and 17 year old also. I am so overwhelmed and not sure where to start. I have ordered the doman books and bee smart baby and tweedlewink also. Now I am not sure where to go? Should the Encyclopedic Knowledge wait until she is older?

You can start it at any time that you’re ready for such a commitment. It will take you a lot of time to prepare the materials.

Hi there amy,

You sound a bit like I did in the beginning… One thing I have learnt though is that the sequence is usually, Reading, math and then Encyclopedic Knowledge.

My son is four in April and I am just concentrating on the reading for now. I had hoped to start with his handwriting, but think I might wait a little.

This thread is what helped me the most to put everything together and know what I wanted to do with everything I’d learnt. http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-other-topics/if-you-did-how-did-you-decide-to-homeschool/
I could suddenly see a way to go. Hope you feel the same too soon. Your little one is still young and there is time for you to implement so many things. From now on you can only do good… :slight_smile:

TABS

In one of Mr. Doman’s books, he recommends that you start with reading and math first and then, once you have those well established, move on to Encyclopedic Knowledge.

Reading and math are truly the foundation of learning, so don’t feel bad if you never move on to EK. Remember–you can learn EK from reading, too (books have a wealth of information in them!).

I will say, though, that there’s so much to be learned through EK. We started our son on his first set of Bits when he was 4 months old, and since then it’s been a constant struggle to have enough cards (we have thousands).

Hi texaslady22,

I’ve heard a lot about these Bits - is it just a picture say of a pyrimad and then a bit of information about it?

TABS

I started with reading first and then math though over the holiday season I have given up on the math for a while and plan to resume it in the next week. I found that with Little Reader I could introduce encyclopaedic knowledge along with the reading starting with fairly simple categories where you are actually teaching reading at the same time:

examples: domestic animals
types of transport
body parts

as these are good words to teach for reading but they make up there own category and bits at the same time. Once the reading was more underway I have introduced some categories like Famous Paintings and so on that are more related to EK than to reading.

I do not make my own cards as I do not have a colour printer and it is a lot harder and more expensive to get pictures out of magazines here in South Africa (esepcially suitable ones) so I am only doing it on Little Reader.

TABS this thread discusses how bits work.
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-encyclopedic-knowledge/anybody-doing-the-encyclopedic-knowledege-program/

Hi Tanikit,

Thank you for the link. Think I get the idea…
:smiley:
TABS

thanks for the inf, very useful

My son is almost 2 and he loves learning the knowledge. I’m looking at it from the point that he is learning to read these words as well and he is learning about subjects. He wants to learn it so I guess it is the right time for him.

I am glad I found this post…I have wondered the same thing and thanks to everyone who posted I at least know where to start :slight_smile:

one of the books written by Glenn Doman suggests that the order of introduction be : reading, EK and then math. BUt most of the people here seem to be reversing the last 2. Should it really make a big difference. i agree that combining reading and EK on LR seems a lot of fun. I mean , If someone were teaching me, that is how i would want to be taught. The book does not give any explicit reasoning for this sequence though. Any ideas?

Funny… from the GD book i read he recommends … math first since baby’s are naturally born with ability to count … or understand quantities regardless of language …

then comes reading and then EK. EK is tonnes of words … and best to get them used to words first … before overwhelming them with sentences … you can say alot but can the infant understand ?? afterall they have to grasp the language first …

Glad, I came and read. I was wondering when to start also. His gives me a lot more insight into when to begin the other programs. :slight_smile:

Although GD says asap, but personally … because i m doing math, music, n 3 other languages …i only start EK when she is 1 … she is getting tired of words … n math going more complex … n no point reading EK when she doesn’t really understand, it becomes like a picture n you play a tape … so to get max impact … i finish words sentences etc, n then EK … at least after words etc, there is still some minor Right mind program to continue on … after you finish say everything or all exercises … wat other right mind programs are there?? more words?? but she doesn’t understand the meaning of the first few hundred words yet …

if you say reading EK to help her language … might as well read a good child book … n take the time to prepare EK …

I like LR because you can combine reading with EK.

I think LR is a great way of combining reading with EK. In fact I think its a great way of killing to birds with one stone and maybe an even better way to teach reading because you are showing a word then a picture makes it easier to tie the two together rather than just showing a word.

That’s my personal opinion. I probably could be wrong.

Hi thanks for the link …

I started teaching EK to my son at the age of 6.5 months.But u can start as early as 3 months.

I started last month when my daughter was 7 months.
I’m not teaching her Maths yet, I will do it on the computer rather than with flashcards (I printed 100 of them months ago on regular paper and do not want to laminate them, it would end up too expensive, especially as I do not know whether she’ll ‘take’ to it or not)
EK is my saviour at the moment as my daughter is not interested in words, but will look at pictures.