What age did you start reading chapter books?

I was reading a blog discussing when to start reading chapter books to children. It got me thinking. All my kids happily listened to chapter books well before they were 4. This was somewhat difficult with multiple age children at times. I always had a 4 year old and a 2 year old at story time so the chapter books often got read separately or took a while to finish.
I was wondering at what age your early readers would sit and listen to a chapter book? Does the ability to read early increase their story listening attention span at a younger age? I am sure mine all were ready for chapter books early because they were so used to having stories read to them. Even though they didn’t read all that early they were avid listeners with a keen interest in complex plots and reading theatre, ( mummy being a goose reading to them lol )
So when did you start reading chapter books to your kids?
Here is the blog link for the curious, it has a great ( very Aussie!) list of chapter books at the bottom if you haven’t tried it yet) http://trevorcairney.blogspot.com.au/search/label/reading%20support

I tried to start reading Winnie-the-Pooh to H. when he was around two, but he couldn’t sit still for it. I now know that there are many simpler chapter books–ones that are basically glorified picture books (e.g., the “Mercy Watson” series). I started reading the first big chapter book we read all the way through, Stuart Little, just before his third birthday. I had to explain a lot of vocabulary, and sometimes simply retold sentences in simple language, but it was surprisingly doable and I was able to keep his attention. YMMV, H. was (and is) unusually capable of sitting still for books.

As a mother to two boys with very different personalities, I have had the privilege to see how differently they both respond towards books. Aristotle is my older boy and Hercules is my younger one. Don’t worry, these aren’t their real names. I gave them the nicknames because Aristotle is very scholarly and Hercules is very tough and strong.

Aristotle loved stories, especially anything that was about Thomas and Friends so hubby and I bought him the entire collection of the original series written by Rev W Awdry. Surprisingly, he could sit down and listen to me read through it. I would be the one tiring of reading aloud and want to stop so I honestly don’t know how long he could have gone on before wanting to stop himself. From this series, he moved onto others - Winnie the Pooh (by A.A. Milne not the other numerous stories around), Wishing Chair series (Enid Blyton), Horrible Science series (although I don’t think this really falls under chapter books), he started the how to train your dragon series (desperately searching for book 8 and waiting for book 9). He’ll generally read anything new but the ones he likes, he can read over and over. He’s 5.5 now and he prefers to read himself (because I read too slowly) although he will still sit in to listen to me read stories to his brother. Funnily, though, he has never been bothered by words he doesn’t understand. The few times we read together, I did try asking him about unfamiliar words but he was just more eager to get on with the story - something for us to work on.

Hercules was a different package altogether. He couldn’t sit still to get through even a short book. Although I dare say that he’s getting better through the influence of his brother. I used Little Reader extensively on him because it was short and sweet and the many pictures and short video clips kept his attention. He’s 2.5 now and he will pull books out for me to read (usually the same ones over and over) and refuses to let me choose any books for him. I have made reading together as inviting as possible by allowing him to cuddle with me and nurse while I read which has had a positive effect on the books so I hope in time he will take off on his own, too.

James is 2.5. And we recently read a Magic Tree House book. Technically it is a chapter book but I find it an easier read for me, than some of his picture books.
We started Little House in the Big Woods. But James lost interest, and got the squiggles with that one, so I will revisit it at a later date.
We just started reading a Stepping Stone Classic Version of Oliver Twist and he loves it. I doubt he understands too much. But he likes it when I use accents for the characters.

What he seems to like best are old children’s encyclopaedias. He responds very well to them, and we talk about them after each article. I think these are comparable to some chapter books.

So do you think it was personality that allowed early reading/listening of chapter books? Or their ability to read along? Or just extra exposure to story listening? ( as I am assuming we, as a collective brillkids group, read out load more than average to our children :slight_smile: ) perhaps a combination. Listening to chapter books at age 3 is quite unusual apparently :unsure: I can see huge advantages in terms of language acquisition and focus if this is a developable skill. Perhaps something I can test out in Kindy :biggrin: I do know kids who are read to alot can often sit still for longer listening to a story than those who aren’t. that means at kindy age 4,5 they can sit through 1 whole story! :blush:
I am thinking my kids took to it based on a combination of extra story listening and my reading theatrics. If they started to bore that meant I wasn’t engaging them enough lol
We started with chapter books that included some basic drawings, this was important to them. In fact it still is if the story is complex. Our first ones were an endless stream of Rainbow Magic fairy stories ( which my 2nd daughter listened to from age 2.5) a full set of magic tree house, Alice in Wonderland ( age 3) and Pippi Longstocking ( my choice :biggrin: ). I can remember giving up on a few that didn’t retain their interest…some Ballerina books that they now LOVE, and James and the Giant Peach, which they have since read independently.
Shenli- I am giving you a Kharma point for reading Thomas and Friends out loud! Wow, I do not enjoy reading those books at all and am very grateful that my Thomas loving boy was happy to give them up after just a couple of attempts! I have heard that the original series are better but am not game to open a can of worms I can’t close again! lol

I didn’t think of that–I totally believe that Magic Tree House books are very good first chapter books. Don’t forget Usborne–they have lots of transitional books, just the right number of words per page, lots of pictures–they’re great.

Oh yes. The usborne beginners and discovery series I think. James will listen to those.

We have several complete sets of USborne beginner chapter books, and Alex LOVES some of them! There are lots of engaging pictures, and ‘new’ words, which are guaranteed to catch her attention! (she is a bit of a vocab hound!)

If you are looking for beginning chapter books, the USborne ‘My First Reading Collection’, or even my Very first reading set are very good…even within a set they are leveled. So some arevery basic, and get progressively more difficult.

The only problem we had had is that for very young children (mine is 2.5) some of the classics are ‘scary’ for her…althou exactly what will be considered scary to her often seems quite random to me!

Non-fiction, for some reason, seems to be less of a challenge to her. We have read beginning biographies, but her favorites are some of the longer MathStart ot Let’s Read and Find Out About Science…some of these we read just like chapter books…

Mandabplus3 - My son’s teacher wasn’t exactly thrilled that we were reading The Railway Stories to him because of language like “stupid”, “shut it” and “silly great engine”. Then again, my husband was annoyed that I let him read “Matilda” by Roald Dahl because the language Mr Wormwood used wasn’t exactly appropriate either since he told Matilda to “shut up” and to watch more telly and stop reading books… :ohmy: I remember enjoying these books as a child but somehow I forgot about these references…

Kerileanne99 - I have the same problem! My son gets scared but I can never figure why sometimes so it’s hard to pick books for him. Of course, some are obvious, like we tried to do The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and he said the witch was scary, although he finished reading the book while I was busy but he told me later he didn’t want to read it again. When he was little, he hated The Gruffalo so much that he would hide the book. He even tried several times to give it away. He doesn’t take well to new things either. If he finds an author he likes, he goes after all the books by that author.

I started to read the Children’s Illustrated Classics to my kids when they were 3 and 5 because they had lots of pictures to help them stay focused.

Sophia likes books about countries and i have just started reading Stuart Little to her and her sister to. they both seem to enjoy it and sophia’s understanding surprised me to. must finish the book to. I also find that i do alot of reading aloud to them while they are in the bath tub which is a great way to read to them.

I must admit it has been personality with my girls that has allowed me to to read to them at 18months Sophi would not even allow me to read to her at all my youngest brings books to me but opens it to her fav page in the book reads the page and then wont let me read to her but will gladly listen i i pull a book off the shelf for her.

Both my dd’s being early readers and the fact that i have read to them while they played has helped I think in allowing them to listen to a chapter book.

Also I have started when I finish a chapter by saying “Will Stuart find Margalo?” Will the Little family be upset when they realise stuart is gone?" well you can find out tomoorow in the next chapter of STUART LITTLE’ Just to engage them that little bit more. I learnt this from the Understanding comprehension from Seuss to Socrates. Which is quite an interesting talk.

Kimba, I love your questions at the end of the story. It is like watching previews for next weeks episode. Brilliant!!

Mandab, I read “Slowly, slowly, slowly,” said the Sloth last night and the last page is filled with great vocabulary which I plan on looking up with the kids today and explaining. Also the book Rapunzel has some nice vocabulary as well. I have been thinking of you and your question while I am reading to the kiddos. I will make note of the good books and let you know.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapunzel-Picture-Puffin-Books-Zelinsky/dp/0142301930/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340712905&sr=8-3&keywords=rapunzel

I think the Beatrix Potter books are pretty rich as well.

I think I confused this thread with a different one. Oops. :confused:

I always leave the book hanging for my kids too. They are dying to find out what happens next and often bring it to me first thing in the morning to continue as they can’t wait until that night. The questions are a good idea. I usually use " I wonder…what do you think? Why? " not always though as our night time reading OFTEN goes over allocated bed time and my kids can talk about books all night long!
Interestingly they do go through fazes. Sometimes its weeks of Chapter books then it’s weeks of picture books. Always when we do picture books, my oldest pulls out an encyclopedia for me to read and discuss a page as well. ( tonight we all learnt about beavers, wow they have effective teeth! :laugh: )
I still think picture books are important, even with an early introduction to chapter books.
It’s good to know that early readers are happily sitting through chapters. They just wouldn’t sit there if they didn’t understand the story. I know mine have walked off a couple of times each as a story was over their head. Easy to do when catering to 3 age groups. Ensuring all three are satisfied and stretched by our choice of read aloud is a regular challenge.
I am thinking that by often reading to them ( and allowing them to self read) they are developing their book sence much faster than “normal” and also growing their vocabulary faster, Thus enabling them to comprehend the more complex and lengthy chapters, without relying heavily on the pictures. The really interesting thing is that a 2/3 year old that can listen to and understand a chapter book has been advanced by 3+years. More than half their life length :biggrin:

Hehe you wanted the Picture books for advanced readers thread. Just to confuse everyone I have two book threads going at once LOL
Cut and paste it please :slight_smile: Kerileanne is loving that thread! And will really appreciate your suggestions.

My DD would sit and listen to Charlotte’s Web before she was 3 years old and we have been reading many chapter books since she turned 3. Now at going on 5 years old I read both picture and chapter books to her as I feel both are important and also sometimes I am in the mood for a shorter book I can finish in one session. We have read many of the Dick King-Smith books, Magic Tree House, other E.B White Books, Enid Blyton and then many early chapter books for beginning readers that she likes to choose herself at the library (many of these are not great literature, but they can be fun nonetheless) As for my second daughter - well she listens in on everything we read now though she doesn’t appear to be concentrating - who knows what she is taking in? We do read baby books to her too where she pays attention to the full story so will see when she is ready for longer stories herself.