What about ballet in your child´s life?

hello parents,

My baby is almost 4 and I would like to know what age is appropriated to attend ballet classes? any tip?

I think they can start once they are really good following steps and listening instruction. Maybe 3.5 to 4 years old will be good.
My daughter is 2 years, she is too young I think , I will love to sign her for some ballet lessons once she is 3 and a half going 4.
It improves children’s body flexibility, I love it.

I have heard that ballet can change the structure of the hips for life. This was the oppinion of one dancer studing ballet at the college I went to, I’m not sure how reilable this information is but I think it is worth investigating and considering if it is true.

She started ballet very young and consequently had a very distinguishable walk; her entire hip was rotated outward. She said that if a girl is serious about being a professional ballet dancer that it is crucial to start early so the hip forms the correct way for ballet. But what if the child wants to be a skater but started ballet very young? Would the hip structure be a problem? Does this outward hip rotation cause any other problems?

So I would first ask around about how ballet affects hip development. If there is a concern there then I would want to wait until my daughter was old enough to make an informed decision for herself.

As for boys, I heard that they wait until they are old enough to have the upper body strength to start training.

I just found a reference to what I’m talking about at wikipedia under the listing for turnout:

the structure of the bone may be influenced by ballet exercises before a certain period of bone development attained around the age of eleven.

I would want to discuss this with the instructor before getting my child involved.

Near my house (5 minutes by car) has a school dance. they serve children starting at 2 years. I wanted to put my daughter, but my husband disagrees, and thinks she very young and that when she grows up she decides whether or not to do ballet. He thinks we should wait and put her in ice skating. His eldest daughter and I, we will get into the ice skating school . But still, I wanted so much to put Laura in ballet. And this is also very expensive :blush:

Well folks, I went to an ballet academy and they explained to me that it is really related to muscle development, and besides muscle it is good to work posture and socialization. So I decided to apply my daughter to it, so that she was asking me to. Thanks for all tips you gave to us.