We are Reading!!!!!!

My 26 month old has been reading words and sentences for what seems like a long time. Last month, we moved to the “ck” lesson on Reading Bear and he just read the words without having them sounded out at all. But he’s been reluctant to read a book/reader on his own. I decided to do more phonics work with him sounding out each individual sound and I thought that was making a huge difference. Maybe it was, but I’m betting it is really an issue of readiness.

This morning we pulled an early phonics reader off the shelf and he stated that he was going to read it. Sure enough he did. 8 pages with laughing and all. No sounding out with words he’s never seen or at least never seen in LR or Reading Bear. Words like “Cleo” and “happy”. After he read it the first time I asked him to read to his father; we were so excited. Nope, not a chance. He was just spouting off sentences from memory and not even looking at the book. I’ll be patient and keep waiting. But this was so much fun!

:yes: woohoo! congrats!

Congratulations :biggrin:

Yay!

Wonderful news!

I know you wish you had that on video. That is wonderful. Yeah for baby!!

wonderful news!

Yay! What a cheeky rascal, not reading for daddy! Oh they do that so often don’t they, pretending to know nothing when we know better. lol

Thanks everyone. Yes, he is a very cheeky fellow. He won’t read today either. But he’s picking up books and hiding in the corner - I’ll take it where I can get it.