Water births

My friend recently had a water birth, I don’t know much about it so I was wondering what you all thought. :smiley:

I haven’t had a water birth but I have many, many friends who have. Water is a fantastic form of pain relief and it is not in any way dangerous to Mum or baby. Contrary to what I’ve heard the baby won’t drown or anything like that.

Personally I have very short labours and there would not be enough time to fill a birth pool let alone get into one. I also really dislike the feeling of anything on me even water so it’s never really been something I’ve considered in any great detail. If I laboured for more than an hour I would definitely consider it but I go from nothing to contractions every minute within 5 minutes of my first contraction so have never had a real labour where I have needed relief from water.

Water is also known to speed up labour so is a good option if you are prone to long labours. My friends have all said it is a huge help to be able to relax in the water between contractions.

The hospitals here previously had a policy that there were to be no water births but are now installing birth pools and training midwives to deliver in water. Prior to this you could only have a water birth at a home birth so this is a really great thing to have the option of a water birth in hospital.

Best way to give birth in my opinion, I have attended numerous births, 90% waterbirths, and had 2 water births myself. There is a huge difference between laboring in water and “on land” :smiley: Also there is much easier to handle various complications in water… Just a short reply, had to go now, but just wanted to say that water birth is fantastic!!!

I am planning a water birth for this baby. Mine is a planned home water birth with an independent midwife because I don’t want to be away from my son in hospital when he will only be 17 months when this bub is born.

I was looking at info on water births the other day. Is there anybody in Australia (I’m in Vic) who has any info on whether a water birth is possible here? It wasn’t mentioned as an option when I saw my gp but I’m wondering if that would be covered by the hospital tour.

Most hospitals here in America won’t even mention a water birth as a possibility (because they don’t make as much money that way) they tell you how it will be done and then ask if that’s okay with you. I would recommend contacting a midwife, preferably one who specializes in water births, and ask her.

I have heard several conflicting theories on water babies. One of which, from an OB-GYN, that all babies born in water are prone to respiratory problems from the gunk in the water. The baby doesn’t even breathe until the cord has been cut so I don’t see how that would happen.

Another is that water births are a higher risk of infection for the mother. I don’t really believe this either.

Several of my friends have born their babies in birthing pools and both they and the babies remained healthy. I have decided that my next will be a water baby.

lol I would, if I were the one having the baby! My wife had her first in a hospital the “normal” way and the entire birth was a fiasco. She had an episiotemy, the baby suffered breathing problems from the cord being cut to soon, the doctor was ignorant of almost anything that we had to say because he figured that, being medically trained to deliver babies, he knew more than we did.

The second was a home birth water baby, My wife was much more relaxed (aside from the pain), the midwife talked us through the whole process and let us know what was going on and why the whole step of the way. It was amazing!

If we have another, it will be born at home as well!

I really have little information on water birht and am going to look into it.
As mention i am terrible afraid that the baby may drawn. i heard of one case where this occurred.
Not even sure if ther are any waer birth in Peru. I will like to know more.

Waterbirth is actually in many respects safer. Some of the complications can be managed easier in the water. Of course, you just need to get a midwife experienced in good management of waterbirths.

Drowning… It is like saying that you are afraid that baby will drown in your amniotic fluid inside your womb :slight_smile: . When baby is born underwater, he/she still conected by the umbilical cord and they are not breathing till they are brought out of the water, the contact with air triggers their breathing reflex.

Then both you and the baby can go and rest in bed, recover and relax. Of course once the baby was brought out of the water, THAN you need to be careful not to let his face go underwater again, but usually you would not stay at the tub at that point, and I am sure you will be paying all your attention to your baby so, that would be really unlikely to happen :smiley:

Just do your research, find a real good provider ( My friend had a waterbirth in Peru with independent midwife), and do what feels right for you. Also be prepared to have a few options and change your mind during labor, so you will be able to do what will feel right for your body then.

Water birth is the process of giving birth in a tub of warm water. Some women choose to labor in the water and get out for delivery. Other women decide to stay in the water for the delivery as well. The theory behind water birth is that since the baby has already been in the amniotic fluid sac for nine months, birthing in a similar environment is gentler for the baby and less stressful for the mother.

Here are some pros and cons of water births.
http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/water-birth/
I would definitely opt for water births as it reduces stress and the pain. But I guess it is not recommended for all. My sister who is 6 months pregnant would like to have a water birth but she is not sure whether she is the right candidate. She had undergone a breast augmentation procedure in Barrie about 2 years ago. She is worried whether it is recommended for those who had undergone such surgeries. She has booked an appointment with her surgeon to clarify her doubt.