Washing Machine

If you had the opportunity to purchase a new clothes washing machine, what type would you buy and why?

My washing machine broke and there are so many new choices with longs lists of pros and cons I need help deciding. Name brand? Front load? Top loading? Steam? Pls help. Thx.

My Mom recently had to purchase a new washing machine. She had a top loading high efficiency model for less than 10 years and it went belly up on her. The parts to fix it cost more than a new front loader without all the bells and whistles.
The repair man told her a top loader may be the most reliable choice. Simple parts cost less to repair and they do the job just fine. He suggested a whirlpool, and he doesn’t work for a brand name. He’s just a small town repair guy.
Hope this is helpful. :slight_smile:

we have a top loader now (had a front loader before) one thing I noticed is that we left some loads in overnight(in closed machine) and now the rubber part smells and seems rotting now matter how much I clean it :frowning: Next one I’ll get will be front loader again :dry:

I bought a new washer/dryer 2 years ago and found these websites useful in making my decision.
http://products.howstuffworks.com/washers-buying-guide.htm
http://www.consumersearch.com/washing-machine-reviews/review

I ended up buying a Whirlpool because at that time they had the best maintenance records. My previous dryer, an ASKO, had problem after problem and I just wanted something reliable. There are only a handful of W/D manufacturers out there who make machines under different brand names. So when you buy a Kenmore or a Kitchenaid you are really buying a Whirlpool. I found a locally owned appliance store that was running a very good sale, they bring in specific models in bulk then resell below MSRP.

I hear that front loading machines get your clothes cleaner, so I got a front loader. I am sorry I did because I use cloth diapers and it is impossible to soak a load of diapers in one. Maybe if my washer had steam that would compensate for the inability to soak the diapers. Actually it probably wouldn’t, it is really difficult trying to unload my diaper pail into a frount loader without touching the diapers. If you use cloth diapers you might want to ask this question in a specialized forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=221

Good luck!

I would get a front loader. they are easier on your clothes. Top loaders tug your clothing alot, causing it to stretch. front loaders let your clothes tumble so they don’t get stretched out. The only down side i can think of is yes you can’t soak a load of diapers in it.

Front loaders have a sanitize cycle that is great for diapers. Front loaders get clothes a lot cleaner, use much less water , and are easier on your clothes. I think the front loader saves money. Stains come out easier and clothes are less damaged, not to mention less water and soap. All these things save you money and make you look better. I had a top loader for years and purchased the front loader a couple years ago. I love the front loader. It is much quieter :). We have an LG, my aunt has Whirlpool, and my daughter has a little Kenmore. Both the LG and Whirlpool are good. The Kenmore had some bad reviews, but the machine works fine just have to leave door open for machine to dry out otherwise it will smell. She had to get the little Kenmore because it was only thing that would fit in her little closet. The front loaders are quite a bit larger and heavier then the top loaders. I highly recommend you have them delivered, because the washer is quite heavy. Make sure you have enough room if you get a front loader.