Want to Meet Up in VA Within the Next Several Months or So?

as most of you may recall, i had grand hopes of putting together an el conference this past august in TN. clearly, this did not happen. life after (el) kids has proved vastly different than life before kids, and so whereas before it would have been done in my sleep, it was just too much for my now often-interrupted nights, without additional support. that said, not having the conference has left me disheartened and with a nagging desire to still get together!

So, I would like to survey you all and find out if anyone wants to come on out to our neck of the woods - VA. And if so, when would be most convenient?

I have two proposals, both of which should be before the summer, in hopes that i can drag fellow locals, MelaBala and TeachingMyToddlers, to join in the fun before travel schedules get too bogged down (feel free to edit that line :wink: ). So here are the suggested options:

1. in northern va. we could take the kids to dc and visit the smithsonian (they can touch bugs, see tons of stuff, and/or even visit the zoo - not like you guys don’t have a zoo, i’m sure, but something fun, still, for the kiddos).
  • educational, fun and ‘dc - ooh ahh’
  1. in hampton roads, va (think williamsburg, va). if it’s when busch gardens is closed, we can get together at great wolf lodge, but if bg is open, then we can take the kids there - they have a wonderful selection of rides for walkers on up. plus, there are fun beaches, playgrounds, etc.
  • fun for the family - bg woo hoo
  • close to college of william & mary’s center for gifted education (if it interests you at all … they are known for putting out a lot of information and curricula. they have a hotel and meeting space. my thought is that they may be willing to host, if we need it.

i don’t want to deal with the production of advertising to ‘strangers’ right now. I envision this being more close-knit and informal. aside from finally meeting and chatting in person, my goal is also to get our kids together! if possible, i would even like to see some sort of annual get-together occur so that our kiddos can start getting used to one another and forming great friendships (kinda like i have with my cousins who i only see at annual or so family reunions). depending on replies, i don’t have any problem organizing a formal meeting place, and maybe even a speaker or two, i just don’t want to put the cart before the horse right now, without knowing who all is coming. of course, i’m not opposed to it growing, i just want to put feelers out and see who’s interested, and then see what it turns into :slight_smile:

We are most likely headed back to Chicago for a few months soon, not sure exactly when yet, to spend some time with family before we head to Japan. So don’t plan anything around me, but if I am in the area I will do my best to make it.

I have family in Chesapeake and Alexandria VA so both plans are good for me. I am overdue for a visit.

I would love to :slight_smile:
I am still here in Clifton, Va. We do travel a lot but once a date is set I will clear everything.

Tennessee is much closer to us. As we live in Texas, we were thinking of a fun road trip that would last 1 day. But now, we should think about flying to VA :closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes: But hey… why don’t you do it in Houston, there is the NASA and the awesome Museum District too :clown: Well, just kidding…

I think the best way to decide is to make a poll with different locations, the result may also give an idea about the number of attendees.

Yah, interest! I guess the next question is when works best for everyone?

As for NASA - we have that too in VA :wink: Before the kiddos came along I would sit in on the lectures that they offered to the public - neat stuff.

Re: location - I have to stick to VA for now. There’s just too much on the plate to get it going remotely by myself. That said, it doesn’t mean that others can’t organize. :slight_smile: Like I mentioned, for now, I would just like a playgroup of sorts and to actually meet some parents in person. It was beyond wonderful to meet TeachingMyToddlers and to realize, yay, I’m not alone. I just thought it would be great to meet more people.

If all goes well, I’d like to organize them in multiple locations, but I don’t want to gag the effort, like I did before, by biting off more than I can chew. :-/ It took me longer than I thought to adjust to life with two kiddos, and now that I’m getting the hang of it, I don’t want to jinx it lol