Vocabulary related to babies

Hello! I am not sure if this is the right place to put this post. I am trying to look for the vocabulary related to babies. Although I can speak English fluently, it is not my first language, and the vocabulary related to babies is something that I have to study. Although sometimes I think that is a mistake to speak to my baby in English, because I use much more my language, I would like to change my mind. I think that is something that I should do for her. I would like to find new words. I would like to differenciate the American from British ones, if it is possible. Can you help me?

[b]VOCABULARY

bib (bib) - babero
blocks (bloks) - bloques, cubosg
bottle (bótl) - biberón
cradle (kréidl) - cuna mecedora
crib (crib) - cuna
diaper (dáiaper) - pañal
doll (dól) - muñeca
doll house (dól háus) - casa de muñecas
nipple (nípl) - tetilla
pacifier (pásifáier) - chupete
playpen (pléipen) - corral de juego
potty (póti) - orinal, escupidera
puzzle (pázl) - rompecabezas
rattle (rátl) - sonajero
stroller (stróuler) - cochecito de bebé
swing (suíng) - columpio, hamaca
teddy bear (tédi bér) - osito de peluche
toy (tói) - juguete
toy chest (tói chest) - arcón de juguetes
walker (uóker) – andador
baby clothes
baby shampoo
nappy
safety pin
changing table
baby lotion
baby poder
ointment
baby wipes
cotton swabs
tissues
nipple
mobile
cot
cradle
bouncer
walker
potty
dummy.
booster seat or baby seat
highchair
car seat
doll
teddy bear.
Blocks
Rattle
teething ring
toy chest
baby carrier
pushchair or stroller
pram
play pen
nightlight
bodysuit
nappy-nappies [/b]

Now I am looking for action verbs such as crawling on the web… any answer??? :wacko:

Do you realize that you have multiple words with the same meaning in that list? Just checking.
Aussies use nappy not diaper cot not crib, pram not push chair, a stoller here is a simple collapsable pram, nipple is never used for bottles only for breastfeeding, a teat goes on the bottle.
Basically the top half of your list is American and the bottom half is English.
I would add ball and mobile, and perhaps teeth and bubbles.
Action words…I don’t have a list but
Roll, crawl, walk, jump, grasp, wiggle, dance, arms up, hop, kick, throw, drop, pick up, laugh, cry, smile, giggle, watch, listen, blow, eat, don’t touch, play, read, drink…

Thanks Mandabplus for your answer!!! You have me helped a lot!!! I am trying to speak to my girl as much as possible everyday and when I have to say a word such as pram or wiggle I begin to get nervous because I do not know it and tend to speak to her in my first language. I suppose that there will more mothers with the same problem, and your explanations can help them too. I hope it helps. If you remember more useful words related to babies, please write here.

I am doing a better list in order to take it into account when speaking to my little daughter. She is very unquiet and sometimes I have no time for anything. I have bought some books in amazon as well. By the way, how old is your baby and when did you start with Little Reader?? Any advice?? My baby is almost four months old. I use flashcards and Little Reader, but not every day. She has problems to sleep and perhaps I am going to overwhelm her. I do not know. Thanks again.

Your most welcome. My kids only speak English although all of them have heard enough other languages that learning them later in life shouldn’t be as difficult for them. I expose them to Japanese and Spanish mostly, but my kids enjoys listening to German from a friends of ours, and French from utube. They have a Spanish vocabulary that pops up and they often surprise themselves that they understand some of Spanish and Japanese conversations.
Speaking to your baby in English will be very useful for life so keep it up :slight_smile: you need not feel silly, your baby doesn’t know you arnt good at it :wink:
My kids are grown up now lol My youngest is 4 years old! He is learning to read using LR and basic decodable readers. We started at Christmas time and he can read decodable readers and knows a number of words from little reader. We also use LR for encyropedic and general knowledge. Which is a great way to increase the number of words your kids see.
I used flash cards for my older girl when she was a toddler and she is an excellent reader know. In grade three, the school has no more readers to give her, they don’t make them in a level hard enough for her. :smiley: So she reads whatever she likes now for homework, usually something non fiction.
My middle girl saw less flash cards than the others, ( she was difficult toddler) but was read ALOT of stories, she is 6 and reading short novels now. She is my creative child and to be honest, probably would have struggled to learn to read without whole words and lots of print exposure. So read lots of books to your children, and keep showing the flash cards.
You can overwhelm a baby. Some baby’s need time out. My oldest sometimes needed to be next to me in a dark room with no stimulus at all after a busy morning at the shops or noisy visit from friends. They soon learn to handle more and more. Find a time regularly to show the flashcards and little reader. Just keep sessions short at 4 months. You can just show ‘word flash’. Then feed baby then show another section. Use the physical flash cards as you put baby into the car seat each time. You can always find some time to show them daily if you plan ahead for it. Daily is not too much.
If your baby doesn’t sleep well, spend some time your self just wasting time during the day resting in bed. Forget the house work at times. Also read up on some sleep solutions, it never hurts to learn better ways to parent :slight_smile: I can’t give you advice there as none of mine ever slept well! lol lol lol

Oh that’s annoying - my post just disappeared! It was something like this:

You think you are fluent in a language then you realise that there is a whole area of vocab that you didn’t even know about:-) I live in Central America & it took me forever to find Spanish lullabies… no one here really sings to their babies, can you imagine?! I eventually got a few CDs but it took ages since nobody could even recommend a title.

Onomatopoeic words which don’t really translate in Spanish - crash, bang, bump, boom, whack, zoom. But babies love to mimic them.

Wriggle, wriggly! Very appropriate with most babies
slever (Br English) - drool (AmE) = babear
babygrow (bebecrece) - onesie (I think it is in AmE)
cuddle (BrE) - hug (AmE) very important :slight_smile:

You kind of just have to go with it… you will eventually correct yourself if no one else does it for you. it took me about 18mths to figure out it was chupete not chupeta :nowink: In English, or at least in Scotland we will often use a diminuitive form with babies just like the -ito in Spanish - dog becomes doggy, cat = pussy cat, bird = birdie.

Thank you for your answers!!! (Mandabplus3 and Lois)

Mandabplus3: You have been very kind with me, thank you again. I saw the number of people who had read my post and nobody gave me an answer :frowning: Now, today I see that not only you have answered to me but also another person has done it. Thank you friends.
Well, Mandabplus 3 I was surprised how your children, apart from speaking English, can understand some Spanish and Japanese structures, My God!!
I have always wanted to have a child who could speak English. Later on, if possible, German too. I love languages, that is the truth. I have changed my mind. I am going to collect all the vocabulary related to babies: action verbs, objects and so on. I will use the English language as much as possible. If I have some doubts, I have this forum, internet, and my Pictionary dictionary. (In the morning I remembered that I had bought a Pictionary dictionary a long time ago…
I have seen your blog. You have read a large number of books with your children… Very good!!! I suppose you have achieved some books from the library. The problem is that the libraries where I live lack of English books for children. I will have to have a look again.
My daughter is sleeping at this very moment. Sometimes she sleeps all night, if she is not hungry. She is now three months and three weeks. The problem is during the day… But today is a good day…

Louis , I write in the following lines

I have lost my lines again. You are right, a person can be fluent in a language but at the same time, that person can lack of the knowlege of a specific topic, of many specific topics. Little by little I will have to look for words in order to improve my vocabulary related to babies…

I would like to buy in amazon a book about nursery rhymes. I don´t know in Spanish. I am trying to use English resources as much as possible.

Thank you for the list of words.

Are you from Scotland??? Beautiful country with very beautiful castles. In Canary Islands, where I live, we also use ito, ita… It is something very typical, not only in the Mainland…

Many more people read on the forum than will answer, this is good! It means what you wrote is being read by many and perhaps others are also using your list of words too now :smiley: We are teaching and learning!
We do use the library ALOT! We have at least 20 books out at a time, just for the kids. We read about half of all that we borrow. Each time someone recommends a book on this forum, i get on the electronic librabry website and see if i can request it. Then it is waiting for us next time we visit :yes: Our local library is tiny but it is linked to about 10 others. Plus I can drive 20 minutes and get to a really big, well linked library. The biggest advantage of my local library is that if the books go back late we don’t get charged overdue fees! We are often a few days late and with so many books out at once it adds up fast!
We also have a large collection of books at home. Many were given to us once people realized we LOVE getting books for presents and will take your old books! Also we have a very large ( warehouse size!) 2nd hand book shop twice a year. The books are .50c. We stock up an entire suitcase full! lol For about $8. If you buy lots they often give you some for nothing :slight_smile:
We also have quite a lot of electronic books and printable early readers. This would be a good option for you. English electronic books are very easy to find for free. All of our Spanish books are in electronic format. We are only just starting to teach Spanish reading. I would prefer to teach Japanese but I can’t get enough resources. :frowning:
It is amazing just how much language kids can pick up just by exposure to other languages. My kids love to watch utube cartoons and just don’t care if it isn’t in english! lol So they watch familiar cartoons in French, German and Spanish. Like I said their just inst much Japanese out there. They only do it occasionally but it is still making connections in their brains for later.
A childrens first 1000 words book would be good for you one like this
http://www.amazon.com/First-Words-Spanish-English-Pull-Tab/dp/067174965X/ref=sr_1_28?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341444937&sr=1-28&keywords=childrens+first+1000+words
Or check out these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3Achildrens+first+1000+words&keywords=childrens+first+1000+words&ie=UTF8&qid=1341444829#/ref=sr_pg_3?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Achildrens+first+1000+words&page=3&keywords=childrens+first+1000+words&ie=UTF8&qid=1341444888
Useful for story time and teaching English :biggrin:

Hello, hello, hello!!! lol lol lol

You are very lucky with your library. Anyway, I will go to my library to have a look, Perhaps there is something for us. I have no idea about electronic books…

I also hope that the list of vocabulary helps more people. The important thing is helping each other and waste time. :wink:

It is very early in the morning, and I am here writing because my baby wanted her milk bottle and I cannot sleep again…

Thanks for the website. I have found a very useful book, and I have been a large number of books… It is scholastic picture dictionary. It has more than 700 words with pictures… They are divided into topics. It is a fantastic tool for me. I can use it to teach things as the names of the fingers, for instance. It would be a good purchase. I have to go on having a look the rest of websites.

Then, your children are exposed to different languages and they do not mind. It is fantastic!!!

Hi, I have had the same problem when we started “full time” English in our home but by using LR you will slowly build up your vocabulary so I would not worry to much :slight_smile:
What might be useful for you is Baby signing time and Signing time - you can find clips on youtube. It is american English and you cal also use signs with words!! We watched some on youtube, used it and still love it.
I am starting to struggle adding new words now when she is older lol
I use british english but my little girl has been exposed to american english a lot and I don ´t find it to be a problem.

I am quite jealous about your library situation - I finally discovered after living here for nearly 5 yrs that there was a library in the next town to us… which is the 3rd or 4th biggest city in Panama… I was so excited, full of anticipation… we arrived, my little boy all excited about all the books we were going to bring home with us… and… the few hundred books that they have are falling apart, filthy dirty, and under lock & key. A library that doesn’t lend books!!! I could have cried :frowning:

We stocked up on books at a thrift shop in Canada last time we were home, we got loads for under $10… but they are so heavy to take back with us :frowning: But on the positive side a friend is arriving tomorrow with another suitcase full:-)

I think you may be missing vocab related to burping the baby (sacando el chancho)

Mommy pats and burps the baby
Do you have gas (or a gas bubble)?
Do you need to burp?
Let’s get that bubble out.

We are in the US not sure if they say the same things in British English.

That’s all I can think of. I can relate to your situation in Spanish. I have found reading to my baby in Spanish has increased my own vocabulary of words related to the things he is interested in.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Oh my! :ohmy: A library that doesn’t understand books!that is just…beyond words!
I know how lucky I am with my libraries :biggrin: I was a voracious reader as a child and quite literally ran out of books to read at my local country library, which was a reasonable size but smelt like a second had book shop the books were so old!
We considered moving to the country, ( we have an acre on the outskirts of a major city) but I decided it couldn’t be too far away from the libraries! So I made the criteria 1 hour from here! lol Maybe we can move when the kids are old enough to go fully digital…my library lends ebooks too! :yes:
Although I am spoilt for choice, we still need a large collection of books at home. I spend money on books before haircuts and toys. :slight_smile: It can be a big part of the budget. I understand the difficulties as it’s basically impossible for me to lay my hands on books in another language from here. Try finding a Japanese children’s picture book in Australia! :nowink:

Hello friends!!! lol
I have a lot to do today, but I have time to leave here something, for me interesting.
Have a look!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1408261952/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/letsplay/3months4thweek/

http://www.imaginarium.es/primeras-lecturas/ecommerce_1/44996

I have forgotten this, sorry…
Babies need many special things made just for them.
Everything is made special, from baby clothes that are their small size to baby shampoo to wash their delicate hair.
A special type of underwear for a baby is called a diaper or a nappy. It holds all of the baby’s body wastes until they learn to go to the toilet by themselves. There are two types of them, the disposal ones where you throw them away each time you change the baby, but there are also cloth diapers that you wash after every use.
The ones that you throw away have adhesive, but the cloth nappies are closed with a safety pin. A safety pin is a small needle that goes through the fabric and then closes, so that it never hurts the baby.
A changing table is where the mum or dad change the diapers of the baby and makes him/her clean.
Baby lotion is rubbed on the baby’s skin to keep it soft.
Baby powder is a white powder that is rubbed on the baby’s skin to keep the baby dry and many times smell nice.
Ointment is a type of medicine put on a baby’s bottom to keep him or her from having a rash.
Baby wipes are like toilet paper for adults, but are thicker and wet so that they clean the baby better.
Cotton swabs are small pieces of cotton on both ends of a type of small stick. They are used to help clean the baby.
Tissues are thin sheets of cotton that you use when you sneeze and wipe your nose.
A bib is what a baby wears when it eats so that the baby doesn’t get his/her clothes dirty. Babies eat special food called baby food that is normal food mashed to become soft and easy for the baby to eat.
Before babies can eat baby food they drink milk. Milk can come from their mother or from a special formula. The milk that does not come directly from the mother is put in a baby bottle for the baby to suck on.
A nipple is named for the part of the mother’s breast from where the baby drinks the milk. It is also the name of the rubber part of the bottle where the baby drinks. It is sometimes also called the teat.
A mobile is a decoration that hangs over the crib. There are different objects hanging down for the baby to see while he is awake in his crib which is the special small bed for a baby. It normally has a type of fence or wall around the four sides so that the baby does not fall out.
A cradle is a small bed for a newly born baby that rocks, it is also sometimes called a cot.
A bouncer is a great toy for a baby. It has a seat for the baby to sit in and hangs from the ceiling so that the baby can bounce up and down.
A walker is a toy on wheels that a baby can hold on to while it is learning how to walk.
A potty is the name for a small portable toilet for a young child to learn how to use the toilet.
A pacifier is a piece of plastic that is placed in the baby’s mouth to keep the baby busy sucking on the object. Mums use the pacifier to keep the baby from crying. Another name for a pacifier is a dummy.
A booster seat or a baby seat is a special chair for a baby that is placed on top of a normal chair. It helps them to be taller so that they can reach the table when then eat. For younger babies they have a special chair called a highchair that has a little table attached to the chair so that the baby can eat and cannot fall out of the chair.
A car seat is a special chair that is placed in a car on top of the normal seat that is made special so that the baby is always safe while riding in the car.
A doll is a special toy for a baby that looks like a person. Often little children carry around their own doll like it is their own baby. Another special type of soft toy is a stuffed animal. It is a soft toy in the shape of an animal. The most famous kind of stuffed animal is the teddy bear.
Other toys for babies include blocks. Blocks are small cubes of wood or plastic. The babies play with the blocks and learn to build different objects by stacking the blocks.
A rattle is a small toy for a baby that has small objects inside of a ball with a handle. The rattle lets the baby shake it and make a noise.
Babies are often in pain when they have new teeth coming in. A teething ring is a special toy that a baby can chew on to help then with the pain of their new teeth.
A toy chest is a box where the parents keep all of the baby’s toys.
A baby carrier is a special object that attaches to the dad or mum and allows them to carry the baby without using his or her hands.
A pushchair or stroller is a chair for the baby to sit in that has wheels on the bottom so that the parent can walk and push the baby in the chair at the same time. A pram is similar, but the baby lays down in a bed, rather than sitting up in a chair.
A play pen is a small area with four walls around it so that the baby has a space to play, but cannot get out to the rest of the room. It provides a safe place for the baby to play.
A nightlight is a small light that shines so that it is bright enough that the child can see in the darkness and isn’t afraid, but not bright enough to bother the child while he/she sleeps. Some adults who are afraid of the dark still sleep with a nightlight.
Practice your Vocabulary with our interactive Hangman Game which includes 50 words associated with The Baby Room in English.

Now, I have some time to write. I cannot believe me. Well, I still have to have a bath my baby after her siesta.

I hope that the websites that I have included in this post help some people. I fell lucky to be able to talk to you. I do not feel so alone. It is hard to look after a babyl But it is a wonderful experience.

As libraries is concerned, I have visited one of the libraries of my city. None. No English book for babies…

Mandabplus, I love buying books as well. :blush: :blush: I love libraries, but here borrowing English children st.ories is impossible, in my city, I mean. I like downloading the English Talking Books with traditional stories: once upon a time… I am a romantic, I confess.

Hello mybabyian!! I have copied your sentences. Thank you. It is true I can realize how I use my baby vocabulary more and more. Today I have bought Kiddy English. It is a too simple book, but in this book you have the typical sentences that every mother uses with her baby everyday: bathtime, .time for bed, time to play and so on. The sentences are very simple but they help me to use a more fluent vocabulary for the baby.