Video of my 5 years old Italian mother tongue reading in English

HI, I thought of sharing this video with you. Watch it until the end to see how she is bilingual.
Hope it encourages you to keep up the good work!
:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LONEh0LPyY

Brava mama! That was great!!!

She is amazing! Her accent is so authentic. Is one of her parents English?

Thank you momtobee and nkawan :slight_smile: . To nkawan: I am Italian and her dad’s mother tongue is Spanish. She is good with accents though, I taught her some French when she was 2 or 3 years old and her accent was really good. You can hear voice if you download a Little Reader French file called Francese 1 , Francese 3 etc , files under the name of Marialuisa. She sounds like a cute little French girl.

Marialuisa,

I had seen this video before and forgot how wonderful it is. She is so delightful, how is she doing now? This video is several years old. I remember watching it when my son was just a little over a year old. It was very encouraging to me. Thanks for reposting and reminding those who are just coming fresh to EL that it really is possible. My son is reading at about middle to end of first grade. It is not likely he will be as good as your daughter was even a year from now. But I expect a year from now he will be at least 2-3 grade reading level. Your daughter has such great expression and fluency. Lovely!

If she doesn’t have an English parent then I am even more impressed!
Is she fluent in 4 languages?

To sonya_post: I am glad it can inspire you. I have to say that thanks to the Doman method Alicia loves reading and she reads a lot. She is without a doubt top reader and her vocabulary is also very good. I have to say though that since school has started I started having less and less time teaching her also because she is not around that much now. Therefore I have stopped teaching like I used to do when she was a toddler, and I regret that because I found that schools in general limits the achievements and potential of our children unless are Doman’s Schools. I find it very encouraging to know what DVR has posted about her 8yr old Doman Kid having been accepted to College. That is a good incentive for me to remind myself to start teaching again like in the past. In my experience schools don’t understand how much potential our kids have and instead of exploiting it they tend to frame the child into their teaching program. Both of my daughters are given books from school to read at home and these books are not suitable for them as they are far too “simple” so to say. I think that is thank mainly to our own fatigue that they can get closer to achieve their full potential.
To nkawan:
Alicia is now 8 years old.In the past, following Doman’s method, I taught her also some Japanese, but then I was overwhelmed therefore I stopped doing French and Japanese. Now she is fluent in Italian, English and Spanish. We live in England but for the first 18months of her life I spoke to her only in Italian and we used to watch only Italian TV. Then when Alicia was 18 months I found out about Doman by chance and decided to give it a try. By 3 years of age she was fluent reading in both languages Italian and English. I was the sole teacher and then she hadn’t even started nursery. She was always with me only.
If it can help you, you can see her in this link below when she was 3 and I recorded her with an older mobile. I ask her to read and I recorded her
because a work colleague of mine didn’t believe it was possible for children to read at such a young age.
In one video she was reading in English, and in another video she chose a visual dictionary book in French, even though that day I ask her to make a video
of her reading in English only. She was so enthusiastic to learn that she wanted to do a little bit of everything.

http://youtu.be/7de9rNxTSFc

http://youtu.be/2mTSuDa0mOM?list=PLAPJAvBaclNdmYRbwj4wNukqX3l5curhG