Vernix

Was the Vernix wiped off your baby? If so, how many minutes/hours after birth?

See the link for more information:
http://www.hip-chick-pregnancy-guide.com/vernix.html

khatty,
I had to use a translator (http://tradukka.com/) to understand your question. I supposed my children (the youngest 25 years old) were ‘washed’ as soon as they were born. After reading your link I think it is important to mention this to pregnants around me and especially my kids.
Thanks for the information.
Karma to you for this link.

Thank you khatty,

This information is extremely important for me as i haven’t heard about it before, n i’m pregnant (2 mnths).
Once again thankyou n karma to u!

congratulation dear. a good news that really give hapiness. love you see you with a lovely tommy. every moment is happy for mommy to be and will be exsiting.

yes both my girls were wiped right away
even though i ask them not to
i was very mad about it

No, it was never wiped out, it is really good for baby’s skin, so we just massaged it in and it was gone in a little while, similarly to a cream or lotion :slight_smile:

Skylark, sorry to question you further, but what is little while? Does that mean it will soak in an hour? More? Less? I have been trying to find more info on the web, but none of it seems to answer my question.

Skylark, you are the first I know whose baby had the vernix left on - do you think it has resulted in fewer skin issues for your child?

I’m not sure about the rest of the world but in Australia the vernix is regularly left on the baby and it would be odd now to have it wiped or washed off.

Khatty usually it’s there for a couple of days or so before it is completely absorbed and it’s recommended that you delay bathing your baby until it’s gone. I also remember it is believed to be important for mother/baby bonding but can’t remember why. Will have to google and see if I find any more info.

Thx LizzyBee, Karma to you for the information.

I dont know if it is related to having the vernix wiped off or not, but my son has eczema. He was wiped off right away and my daughter was not and she does not have eczema. They were born in different hospitals and the hospital my daughter was born in was much more “earthy”. They let me pretty much do what ever I wanted for the birth. My son was taken and cleaned within a minute of being born and then I got to hold him. I held and fed my daughter for over 30 minutes before they ASKED if they could take her and weigh her.

Wow heyblue that’s a huge difference in policy between the hospitals. The exzema thing is really interesting too. I wonder if there have been any studies on it.

I’m also in Australia and like LizzyBee said none of my babies had vernix wiped from them since it’s hospital policy to leave them as is. They were weighed and measured before the first feed though.

I’d never heard of this before! :slight_smile: But isn’t there also blood covering the baby other than the vernix?