Vegetable Juice

Hi,

I was thinking about making my own vegetable juice and giving this to my baby as well as water throughout the day. She is still breastfeeding and also having solids.

Is this a good idea and if so does anyone have any good recipes?

Many thanks.

Great idea, remember to dilute it with warm water in case baby’s tummy gets sick. Give small amount though.

Tomatoes in the juice can cause tummy aches…at least it did with my boy when we first started giving him V8 juice. Now he constantly asks for “wegable” juice! He LOVES it so much that we limit him to one glass a day which he inhales in seconds! It’s a great way to make sure your little one is getting her veggies but I only started when my son was about 1.5 years old. I think it’s great if you want to make your own juices, but I’d advise to wait with adding tomato until after her 1st b’day…I think I read somewhere that their tummies can’t handle it until then…you should check on that though…I could be wrong…I’ve been before :slight_smile: lol

I found this here http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/juiceforbaby.htm

Making homemade juice is not recommended for infants as you are unable to pasteurize the juice and thus it’s possible that some bacteria or other unsavory items may get into the juice. For adults and older kids, this isn’t as much of an issue. Pasteurization of fruit juices helps to eliminate bacterial concentrations that may cause food poisoning. This is why it is recommended to NEVER give your infant (And even your toddler) apple cider that has not been pasteurized.

Feeding infants (of a certain age) raw fruits should pose no danger if you totally cleanse the fruit, peel the fruit and NOT store any remaining portions. Possible bacterial contamination in fresh fruits is just one of the reasons that many pediatricians recommend cooking fruits until a baby is about 8 months old.

There’s more to read on the site.