using YouTube to learn songs

I bought an old ricketty piano and as soon as the kids saw it, the oldest 2 (girls 12 and 13), hopped on YouTube, and watched a little clip showing how to play Belle’s lullaby (no doubt from Twilight). Off to the piano, back to the computer, in turns learning and practicising what they saw.
Brilliant… who needs to pay for piano lessons? I bet there’s heaps of lessons on all sorts of instruments on YouTube. My 21-month old is sitting next to them as they play, and trying to have a go. YouTube will teach my oldies, and they’ll teach the littlies.

That’s pretty cool that they are trying to play! Have they learned to play anything on their own?

The older two girls started piano lessons in Grade 1 at school. The older one didnt like it much, the younger one always loved the piano. She has a natural ear and innate ability. But they hated their piano teacher…she’d even rap them over the knuckles for doing something wrong. This was the teacher offered by the school, for lessons during school hours. It was cheaper having a lesson combined with another person, than outside of school options, so being quite unfinancial for many years I gave up…poor them. Now they’re all excited and at the piano all the time, and yes, teaching themselves to play quite well. I doubt they’d ever make it to an orchestra, but at least they can enjoy themselves, and maybe play in church or something.
The older one wants to learn, and is trying hard to learn, Fur Elise.
I’ve bought some learn piano dvds off amazon, and piano wizard easy mode off ebay, so I hope that will help. But for the 2 littlies, they should do well.
My 10 year old son, who got kicked out of guitar lessons and refuses to touch his guitars, has been heard tinkering around on the piano.
I think it helps to just have one there. It doesnt need plugging in…it just works as it is. They previously had a sampler keyboard, but never used it because it had to be plugged in etc.