Using the game 'Rummy' to do physical math

Hello,

Thought I’d share a game we have started recently. Once we had got the Beta Math and we did the dots and started with the Addition - I suddenly had a brain wave and dug out the game Rummy! I think it’s also called Rummy Cup. It’s a number game and has large number tiles in different colours (the numbers are in colour) yellow, black, blue and red.

My son loves playing with the tiles! I made paper + and = and placed them on the tile holder and then he puts two numbers either side of the + and I put the answer in. Or he puts the answer and I put the two numbers that make up the answer. It is such fun and it’s a hands on activity. We try to have a race to see how fast we can go. We don’t do it every day and usually no more than 20 mins at a time. But he asks for it alot and then wants to see Little Math.

So perhaps if some of you have the game at home tucked away in the cupboard you may want to dig it out and play Math with you child!

TABS

Here’s a picture… :slight_smile:

What a great tip! thanks! :smiley:

I like it. Thanks for sharing :smiley:

That looks like so much fun even I want to play with those cards! lol

Karma karma :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the comments!! :smiley:

Here are some more ideas with the tiles.

Make shapes such as trains and houses and then add paper shapes in different colours, then get your little one to match the numbers and build upwards!

Get a piece of string or wool and make a shape - letters, shapes, patterns etc. and get them to place the number tiles on them saying the number as the do it or afterwards.

Start simple - perhaps with the little house and have the numbers you are doing in them, or use it to teach that half of 4 is 8, again build upwards with matching numbers.

I printed the shapes and wheels on photo paper which made a great difference to how it looked.

So in all you can teach numbers, math, shapes, colours, letters, patterns, improve matching skills and concerntration!!!

And it’s fun!!! :slight_smile:

TABS

It looks like I added the other pictures wrong… will try again.