Using Curriculum with my Toddler

I just posted on my blog about using curriculum with my 3 year old. I know that before I bought the curriculum I was a little apprehensive, so thought some other parents might be interested. I have All About Spelling Level 1 and Right Start Math Level A. I’m curious what other programs you’ve used with young children!

http://www.memorizingthemoments.com/2014/06/adapting-curriculum-for-toddler.html

Beautiful blog! I didn’t use a curriculum, but I do love the way the you are using curriculums with your son. It makes me wish I had done the same when my kids were toddlers. It sounds like your son is joyfully learning at his own pace which is great. My kids are older and in school now but I still enjoy reading about early learning and success stories. I did lots of early learning with my youngest but never tried an actual curriculum. He is a lucky kid to have such a dedicated mom. Very inspiring. Actually your blog is motivating me to work on our summer plans. I did get a math curriculum (mammoth math) for my youngest to work on this summer break but we haven’t touched it yet. Our school math program doesn’t meet her needs because it is grade level work and she is ahead. I was hoping to let work ahead over the summer. However she is headstrong and has already advised me that she plans to skip sections and only do the fun pages. I picked mammoth math because it is written with instructions directly for the student. It might suit her independent spirit to be able to do it by herself. It is always a challenge to get her joyfully on board with my learning plans. At age 7 now, she delights in differentiating herself from me by being contrary.
Thanks for sharing your EL blog, Lori

Thank you so much for the kind words! I do what I can, but am an only parent, so don’t have another option but to send him to school. Are you home schooling or did you send them to public school also?

I send them to school. My older kid has some special needs and the public school provided him with physical therapy, occupational therapy, language therapy, social skills training, and Wilson Reading Program for dyslexia. He likes school. It seems unfair not to send her too. Also it might be good for my daughter to be with developmentally average kids. My son is hard to classify or explain. He looks somewhat like aspergers. He is 11 so she lets him lead in all play activities which then revolve around his preferred interests. It is better for her to relationships that have more give and take, and to have more variety in her play. He benefits from school because exposure to other kids helps him maintain better social skills. My son isn’t classified as aspergers because he doesn’t meet the criteria all the time. There is a wide spectrum of normal behavior and he does a fine balancing act near the edge of aspergers.

My daughter has regressed a bit academically due to school. She would be further advanced if she was homeschooled. I’m still working trying to figure out how to squeeze in some after schooling and summer schooling. She is resistant and my son’s challenges consume a lot of my attention. She takes advantage of my divided attention to slip away and evade me. I think after schooling is possible but not easy. I was better at it when they were younger but now there are lots of distractions from the outside world. I’m a stay at home mom so I have the advantage of time. After schooling while working full time would be very challenging. Maybe you can rope your caregivers into your EL plans too.

Good luck, Lori