Update on our Jones Geniuses experience

Hello! It has been a while since I’ve posted, but I thought I’d give a quick update on our experience using the Jones Geniuses’ curriculum for my middle 3 boys (now grades 3, 5, and 8 ).

We’ve gone through Math 5 and are in Math 6. It has been a good experience for us. The boys are able to do the 4 basic math functions quickly. They are now able to find square roots and cube roots quite easily, and have memorized 100 pegs to help them remember other things. Right now we’re working on memorizing the prime numbers up to 1000. They are actually enjoying this challenge. The boys are now learning the 4 math functions using fractions, and they are getting faster. We found out that our 3rd grader has a head for numbers, so that has been fun. He is keeping up with his two other brothers quite easily.

So, we have been happy with the results. The curriculum looks (like others have said) homemade. There are a few typos and some other minor issues. But if you contact JG, they are always helpful. I hear they are making some changes in how they package the curriculum.

The curriculum is a mixture of nice tricks & helps in doing math, the plain hard work of practice, and the joy of achievement. We’ve already seen the benefits of having 100 pegs memorized and are looking forward to seeing what comes up next. We’ll be starting Math 8 pretty soon.

I also have the boys do hands-on math things to fill in the cracks. They know how to manipulate numbers in their heads and I want to make sure it carries over to real life. :wink:

The same naysayers on some homeschool forums who say infant literacy is a “parlor trick,” say that JG math is just tricks and shortcuts, not real math. We are still in the early learning kit, but do you feel at these levels it’s solid or a “parlor trick?”

THen, do you do any other math program with your boys? We’re doing multiple math programs already and something would certainly have to be dropped if we got into Jones Geniuses.

Good questions.

I see JG Math 5 & 6 covering the same things I covered with my oldest one (pre-Jones Geniuses [JG]) through 8th grade. I used Math U See (MUS) with my oldest and had started the 3 others on MUS. However, after starting with JG, I figured out it got the boys through middle school math faster and more soundly than MUS. The strengths of the JG program is that they get the children doing the basic math operations well. In a normal math program they usually cover addition and subtraction in grades 1-2, then multiplication and division in 3-4, then you move to doing the same operations using decimals and fractions & +/- numbers in grades 5-7 or so. Oh, JG also covers the functions using positive and negative numbers too. Using JG, my 3rd grader is doing all 4 functions in fractions and can handle +/- numbers comfortably. The program was a bit weak on doing multiple digit multiplicaton and multiple digit division, although they did cover it. (Though they cover 2 digit multiplication well.) I like that the boys are not only acquainted with these functions, but are pushed to do them easily and well. For fractions, the younger children are given 20 minutes to do 50 fractions questions. The teen is given 15 minutes. We’re still working on perfecting these. Time isn’t the problem (they usually have time left over), but they tend to have one or two problems that they got wrong because of a simple calculation error. :tongue: But it is a challenge that they are willing to work on. The boys are also learning to do the 4 functions with roots and exponents.

I think the parlor tricks come mostly with finding square roots and cube roots. But they don’t stop with just the simple roots that end in 25 and such. They do learn to find the square root of numbers from 2squared to 99squared. And the cubes likewise. In addition to this they get to learn memory pegs for numbers 0 to 100. So, this semester they are memorizing the prime numbers up to 999 (which is not a prime, I understand). This actually came in handy when I was knitting and I needed a number that had several factors. lol

At the moment, DadDude, I’m not using a different program with the 3 boys other than the JG program. My oldest is in Geometry now and I didn’t switch him to JG. He still uses MUS. I sort of like having another math program to look at just to make sure we aren’t missing anything. So, I take note as my oldest one goes through his math program and just add it to what I do with my 3 other boys. JG sends a word problem book along with the JG program and that covers some of the holes in the program. The JG program mostly sticks with numbers and working with them. In other math programs they usually cover things like shapes, money, time and measurements (cm, inches, quarts, gallons, liters…). I’ve covered most of these things with my boys just in normal life situations. I haven’t taught them to convert inches to cm or liters to gallons yet, perhaps sometime soon.

It will be interesting to do Math 8. I’ll have to order that soon. They are supposed to cover basic algebra and geometry. We’ll see if my 9-year-old catches up with his oldest brother.

I hope that is helpful. :slight_smile:

T Hen,

Thanks for the feedback on your success with the Jones Geniuses Math program. Ultimately any program works only if the parent does a good job of implementing it so kudos to you for doing it so well.

The latest versions of JG Math, which came out in the past few months, especially Early Learning Matrix Math and Threshold to Reading, Math Three and Math Five are very professionally done, a big improvement.

Speaking of math techniques it is true that some things make a better demonstration than others. You cannot have a lot of dead time in a public demonstration, people start looking out the window and lose interest. Nonetheless, we do not neglect the less glamorous skills needed to master mathematics.

In Math Eight your kids will be introduced to Equation Master the test they have to pass to get their Equation Master ribbon. They must solve 100 equations in 30 minutes, 45 minutes for pre-teens. This test consists of mastering the ten basic types of equations in algebra and geometry and utilizes all of the rapid calculation skils they have learned. An algebra teacher could not pass this test without being taught the rapid calculation skills your children have learned. The criterion for passing is to get 100% correct twice within the time limit. No electronic calculator is permitted.

I am always amazed that kids can actually do that! I am also amazed at people who say that level of math skill is just a trick, or worse that it is not important.