UCMAS Abacus Mental Arithmetic - An Introduction

The abacus is used to teach the children to use both their hands to manipulate the beads. In the initial stages, they take the help of the abacus to work out mathematical problems. Gradually the abacus is kept away and the children perform the manipulation of the beads mentally. This program has proven to enhance self-reliance and self-confidence and offers a unique opportunity to discover the hidden potential of children equipping them with lifetime skills.

I’m very interested in learning more about UC MAS. Please keep posting on this topic.

UC MAS uses this whole set of courses, upto 3yrs in total. First courses are only addition and subtraction and 1st has addition upto 9 only… I have one huge problem with UC MAS… they take in all ages at the same time like in Kyle’s cclass there are 8, 9 yr old even. And they teach at this speed because majority are old kids and as Kyle is an active kid he gets ignored mainly in class, and they give 4pages of homework! I mean for a 3yr old, even for a 5 yr old to b seated to do homeworks is just not their way! I sit Kyle for 3 hrs to do 1 page with lots of intervals in between ad thats soo much of time! And at this rate thought Kyle totally gets the concept because he is ignored he doesnt have much of an interest in it and this worries me… I want him to b a number lover!