Two Months: HSIYB Stage Two

Baby S is two months old! It’s crazy how big she seems. She can hold her head up and look around, standing or on her stomach. She flirts and smiles and echoes sounds all the time. She is so much fun!

For those who haven’t read How Smart Is Your Baby, Stage 2 is the absolute worst. It’s the reaction to life-threatening situations; you’re supposed to help the baby develop the ability to move away from uncomfortable heat, cold, and pressure, let go of an object that hurts to grab, and scream for help when an alarm sounds. I am not good at doing the stimulations regularly; it’s just too hard.

But Baby S already has a perfect response to heat, cold, and pressure (touching them with a hot washcloth, a piece of ice, and a pinch), so I can stop doing those, and also a perfect “let go” reflex when she’s holding something and I pinch her hand, so I don’t do that unless she’s pulling my hair. But sounding a horn five times a day to try to make her cry, I just don’t do. Maybe once or twice a day. She doesn’t have any reaction.

Vision is the one exception. She’s got black and white checkerboard patterns in her crib, on the crawling track, and a portable one for wherever. She likes looking at things now! She can definitely see my face, and we’ve started simple flashcards. She enjoys that and so do I.

The physical stuff is better too. She still can’t quite crawl on a flat track, but raised just a couple of inches at one end, she does great. She can still support her own weight grabbing my fingers for about 10 seconds. She likes the balance exercises now, and I’ll do them to calm her down.

Language is going wonderfly. Inspired by PokerDad, I’ve been talking to her a lot more and echoing her sounds. She echoes back all the time: “ung” for hungry, “heh-oh” for hello, and “uv oo” for I love you. She’s got two sounds she uses consistantly and sometimes without prompting: “uh” for up and “aaaah” for potty (I elongate the short o sound in that word when I say it to her, to make it easier to echo). So cool! My baby is talking to me!

And speaking of potty, Elimination Communication is fabulous! Everyone should try it! :stuck_out_tongue: When she starts to fuss, I can ask, “Do you need to go pooootty?” and she answers “aaaah” and I take off the dry diaper and put her on the potty and she goes! So cool! Of course, this assumes that I notice her fussing, respond right, and drop everything to take her to the potty. I don’t always, so she wears diapers. But it’s so fun when it works!

It’s a lot of fun to raise a Doman baby! It’s nice because I’m so busy with her older sister, she gets ignored sometimes. Doing her program gives her time every day where I’m focused on her.

Excellent report!

I didn’t do the air-horn but did some of the other stuff. I think you’re sticking to the book far more than I have, and in some ways yours is more advanced than cub.

I have a new video to put up but haven’t done it yet - it’s about the importance of imitation in encouraging language. There were a few weeks there where perhaps I was doing too much leading and not enough echoing (of baby’s vocalizations). Also, Cub doesn’t really communicate potty needs other than the grunting or fussing… or I just haven’t spotted the cue yet (nor have I been teaching a cue, which is probably a mistake). All in all, if she says a sound that means something, that’s great! especially if it’s potty needs.

Sounds to me like you’re zooming along nicely!

As for everyone trying some form of EC, I’m with you there. I can’t imagine doing this without. It would be like parenting with one less tool… and it’s a very pivotal tool.

And not to derail but give an example of why you are correct with your opinion, this weekend I visited with one of my wife’s friends and they have a 3.5 year old that isn’t potty trained. Now that he’s doing preschool and all, it’s a big problem. The poor kid says out loud to my wife “I’m not potty trained yet” and “I’m trying real hard”. I think he lacks the awareness of when he needs to go… something that EC would have tackled very early on. But his mother is one of those non-schooling types that believe in not “pushing” to teach reading, math, etc… interesting how now she’s panicked that her boy messes his pants and her life is derailed because of it, which is causing far more “pressure” to her child than if she would have just taught him something in the first place [but I digress]

Anyway, awesome report… keep us up to speed when you have time. Thanks again!

Wow, amazing to both Wolfwind and PokerDad!!! Keep up the good work! And keep on posting about your babies’ progress. I, for one, love reading about your success!

Wow you guys are awesome. Sigh, my LO is 4 months and I really just got started with Early Learning. ( We did do some prenatal stuff though)I had full intentions of starting sooner but post partum depression kicked my butt for a while. But that being said, Baby Z still has an advantage my older son didn’t have. My oldest was two before we started anything with him.
Any advice for a baby who hates tummy time. Doesn’t matter if I’m playing him or distracting him with toys. He hates it. I know Doman strongly encourages it.

Water dreamer, my oldest HATED tummy time ( it obviously hurt her tummy) so I actively encouraged her to roll over. Once she had rolling sorted she had control and could flip over as she chose to. Made a big difference to her attitude to tummy time. Also as a bonus since she didn’t like tummy time she was self motivated to learn how to roll and picked it up very quickly :laugh:
We had her cot on a slight angle also, her tummy time problem was because she had trouble passing wind ( in hindsight I think she was a highly stressed baby) perhaps you can determine why your baby isn’t enjoying it, and look for a solution that way. Good luck.

Mandabplus3- I think the problem is his head is in the 85% and his body is in the 10th.
I am trying to teach him how to roll now thanks to your advice and our morning session went better. Evening not so much but he was very tired.