TV at daycare

I have noticed that the tv is always on at daycare. I love our at home providers, but everytime I drop our child off, the tv is on and she becomes fixed to the screen. At home, I believe in interactive play and reading with our child. The tv rarely comes on when she is awake. I know not everyone takes this view, but does anyone have a suggestion for me on how to ask the daycare provider to limit tv time?

That is right!! I have two friends that own day cares, and they have a big tv on their living room for the kids to watch all day long!!They watch sopapras and adult tv.sometimes dora for the kids…isn’t it crazy??? I have the chance to have my 16 months old in the house with me…and we don’t watch tv at all…never when she is aorund. besides her ybcr video once a day. But anyways about the day care tv thing if I were you I will tell the lady to limitate tv for your kid…because you are not a tv person and your family either. I have seen my friends, they are really nice person they love the kids they watch… but I think it is too much tv for them. Being even more honest with you I wouldn’t sent my kid to a day care that has tv.

Honestly, I would consider going to another day care. There is no reason the TV should be on all day. Maybe 1-2 videos of Barney or Sesame Street. Is that against any state regulation or recommendation? I bet you anything it is. My day care used to have an older girl that had to watch her cartoons, but since she’s been gone the TV is hardly ever on. Definitely at least go tour other options so you can see what’s out there.

I agree. A TV is pretty much just a babysitter. If it is a good daycare, then the caregivers should be playing, reading and being silly with the kids. There is no reason for a TV to be on except that they are too lazy too watch the kids 100% of the time.

I agree with the fact that to much TV is perjudicial but maybe it is not on all day but only at the time the babies are coming in. Even in that case it depends on the program they are watching. Make sure to talk to the person in charge to see what their ideas are on this respect and to let them know your opinion.

I like my grandson (30 month old) viewing Ni hao Kai Lan or Diego or Dora that not only mention other languages but teach them many things like ‘sharing’, ‘controlling emotions’, ‘helping others’. Nevertheless it is important to be with him in order to comment on what we are seeing and not leave the TV do the work. And control the daily exposure time, balance with playing with puzzles, runnig, hide and seek, singing, dancing, reading, building blocks etc etc.