Trying to teach my 5 month old

Hi

I’m new to this and didn’t even know this was possible to a few days ago.

I started showing my son the words ‘Mummy’ and ‘Daddy’ yesterday and plan to get some flash cards soon.

I am doing the flash method, I have been quickly showing and telling him the words. I would like to know.

How do I know if he’s taking it in?
How many cards should I show him at a time ( he’s 5months old)?
When should I introduce new cards?
Do I still show him the first set of cards when a new set is introduced?

Is there any other way I can teach him other than quickly showing him cards? I know there are a few different methods, which one did you find most succesful?

Thank you in advance

It’s good to start at 5 months, before your baby is too mobile and resent being still for
cards, books etc.
As far as telling whether he knows, he will. In a few months he’ll be pointing to elephants or stars in books after you’ve shown him just a few times… same with words!

But some babies are better than others at letting you know what they know. My daughter has very rarely sight read to me, for example. Sometimes i’ll catch up identifying letters, saying some numbers in french or chinese etc… but if i ask her for something (even to pick between 2 cards) she refuses or always picks the wrong one :blush:

Hi Msrbootle. Congratulations on starting a reading program. It is such a fun and rewarding journey. It is really a good idea to learn as much as you can from others who have gone before you and there are plenty of us here.

I have learned so much on this journey and from others along the way. I would suggest checking out A Guide to Teaching Babies to Read. http://www.intellbaby.com/A_Guide_To_Teaching_Babies_To_Read.html It has tons of information to get you off to a super start. You can download it or get it on a DVD.

Wishing you all the best.

I would suggest going to your local library or book store and getting a copy of “How to teach your baby to read” By Glenn Doman. That will give you a good understanding. I have a book by him for birth to 1, I heard it is great, but I haven’t read it yet as I got it in a ebay package and my son was already 4. BUT I will be reading it when I am pregnant with my next child. (Hopefully that wont be too far off LOL)

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your replies! Guess I will be off to town then to buy a book! Haha it gives me an excuse to spend! I can’t wait I’m so excited!

Hi MrsBootle! :happy:

I would also encourage you to download our eBook: Teaching Your Baby to Read - you can get it for free simply by signing up for the BrillKids newsletter (which you probably already get since you’re a member) by visiting this page:

http://www.brillkids.com/ext/e-book.php

The eBook contains a lot of information about the different methods you can use to teach your baby, and it will also be a great starting point for getting more information because it doesn’t cost anything.

We’re very happy to hear that you’re embarking on this great teaching adventure! We hope to hear more about your experience here in the forum!

:biggrin:

thanks for that. I went to town yesterday to buy a book but couldn’t find one anywhere. I live in England, every book shop I went in I asked for ‘a book to teach my baby to read’ and i was given the most stupid looks! Think they thought I was crazy then they proceeded to tell me ‘‘well just keep reading books to him so he will get an interest in it.’’ - thanks for that! not! haha

Look on amazon then. It should be available there

I think you should also start math. You will have plenty of time to teach reading but the ability to perceive quantity will decrease soon.