Toys for a 2 year old

Our son will be turning 2 soon, and xmas is right after his birthday, so I am looking for some ideas on things he may like. He doesn’t have many toys besides wooden blocks, some plastic animals, a couple of trucks, and books. What toys are good for stimulating creativity?

Does anyone have any ideas on things that I may be able to make him at home?

Our boy is just about that age too…so this thread should be interesting.

Here is what we are into:

Play Dough
Coloring with jumbo crayons
Books books books books books
Watering plants/playing with dirt
Balls
Trucks
Simple puzzles (12 pieces max.)
Painting
Musical instruments and listening to music
Pretending to do handy jobs around the house (improvising with screwdrivers, etc.)
Wooden train tracks and trains
Letters and numbers fun
Finger puppets and hand puppets

Also, the book Magic Trees of the Mind has a good index of games/toys/activities by age and gender.

mom2ross

Besides animals and books, i will get him ‘Fridge Phonic magnetic Alphabet Set’ that is an excellent way of learning the letter sound.

Here is a link to a toy makers forum with lots of great ideas. They tend toward Waldorf toys which I think are great for stimulating the imagination.

Teinergy,
thankg you for that link. I saw very good ideas especially for girls. They love changing doll’s clothes.
Also i like the little lamb. I have 10 finger knitted animals that my grandson enjoyed a lot.

I forgot to mention, http://www.etsy.com/ is a great place for inspiration. They have sections for already made toys and patterns to make your own.

Wooden toys can be a little risky for a 2year old kid.