Toxic Toys

Hi everyone,

lately I hear a lot on this subject and how parents should be extremely careful when buying toys in general since some of the chemichals used in the paint of a toy were found toxic. Still I would like to hear about your personal experience and if you know of any particular toxic toy. Tnx.

Hi! I don’t have personal experience yet regarding toxic toys (i’m still preggy w/ my first baby) but I do know that toys made in China are potentially hazardous as they may contain PVC, BPA and even lead. I know this because a lot of toys, candies, etc here in the Philippines that are made in China have been recalled by BFAD (bureau of food and drug admin) because of LEAD content. Make sure you look at the labels, opt for ones that says “pvc” free or better yet, research the company first in the internet if they are using safe plastics. I’ve read user reviews on amazon.com that some ‘sassy baby’ products are made in china and are dangerous. I personally can’t attest to that but better safe than sorry!

They do make lead test kits if you have questions about any toys you have.

I try to only buy those toys that are guaranteed by the European Union, I don’t really know whether these will be totally safe but I suppose at least they will be safer than those not marked with the EC .

Also, be especially careful with toys that baby puts in her mouth like teethers.

I found this website very helpful.

http://www.healthytoys.org/product.searchtype.php?getclass=Stacking%20%26%20Sorting

It tests a variety of toys to see if they are safe.

Thank you for the feedback and the valuable information.
Nadia 0801 aren’t most bottles made with PVC? A friend of mine warned me to change my bottles every month. This would be very costly so I am considering switching to glass bottles all together. Fortunately for me I am still breastfeeding, so I use bottles only for water.
Kmum, I find the site very informative, thanks again.

yup I would suggest using glass bottles too !! At the very least don’t serve anything warm or hot in any plastic bottles and never freeze them :slight_smile:

Plastic bottles should also not be put in the dishwasher.

They should not be exposed to high heat or freezing. It releases toxins. Even plastic bottles for adults! Do not freeze your water bottles or leave them in the car!

K never used bottles, but she does have a straw cup. It took a lot of searching but we found a stainless steel one. At home she uses glass. Yes, we break a few, but I feel it is better than ingesting chemicals.

Yeah, Gabriel used a bottle twice. Now I have started him on a cup, and I only buy the BPA free cups.

Omg, I will defenately switch to glass bottles then. I wish I had known this earlier. I should have thought about it since I know that plastic bags start decaying after being in the sun for twenty year; if placed underground they never disolve. Poor mother Earth :_(

I bought a lead testing kit by "Lead Check"that was recommended by Consumer reports. It was easy to use. I was actually going to sell the left over tests since I finished testing my toys and dinner ware. I have all the instructions and original paperwork. There are 5 swabs left- enough to test 10 toys. Asking $13.50 or best offer(includes shipping). I have paypal

e uses bottles for milk juice and water too. i always change the bottle one a month. i don’t that i can use glass bottles as e always open refrigerator by herself and take things by her. she may split them all

I got nice stainless steel baby bottles and water bottles from greenfeet.com

hey why all are talking about baby bottles. some toys are also not good for health. i experience that from soft toys. the material they use to fill inside is some time may face nose problems. sneezing and all.

I was watching the news and also heard of the toxins released from the bags of microwave pop corn. We now make pop corn the old fashion way! (Air popcorn or in a pot)