Too old for physical program??

Hi,

My daughter is 13 months old and I received yesterday the book physical superbness from Doman. Now, I think this might be too late for her,don’t you think? She doesn’t have the grasp reflex anymore and she also can crawl (almost walks). I really don’t know, where to start with her. What would you suggest??

Lots of things!

Motivate her to crawl a lot.
Put her on stairs.
Encourage her walking.
Can she hold on to your thumbs? If so, if she enjoys it, allow her to hold on to you for as long as she can. At the park, put her on monkey bars.

My daughter (20m) and I had a great time with the physical program from the time she could walk. She was able to run less than a month after she walked, so we were increasing her walking and running time everyday. The later stages are to climb, then to jump, and now it’s balance.

I agree with hypatia. The main message of the Domans’ is NEVER: “you’re too old” or “you’re too dumb.” Their main message is: “GO! for it; the babies/children will lead the way.” Look at what your child is naturally challenging herself to do, take that as a hint, and encourage her to further and throughly develop those skills. If you are still lost, I would suggest you take her to a gymnastics class. They will give you some more ideas. Good luck!

Lolobride - swimming is an excellent option.

I started too late with my sons, too. My first is physical-activity averse. My second put on weight so rapidly in his first two months that by the time I opened the book, he was too heavy to capitalise on those early reflexes. Now I take him swimming and he loves it. Since he doesn’t have to contend with his own weight in the water it helps him exercise his muscles without getting frustrated.