toddler table and chairs decision

I would like to get a table and chair set for my 21 month old. I initially was thinking that a wood set would be the “greener” choice, but now I wonder if a plastic set would be a better choice for cleaning crayons and food. What would you suggest? Also, my dd is on the shorter side. I want a comfotable chair for her, but one that will still work for a couple of years.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Someone on these forums recommended this table. I was near an IKEA while traveling and picked one up. I have to say we’ve definitely gotten $20 worth of use out of it! I’s been almost a year and still going pretty strong. The top wipes off fairly easily, you just have to be be conscientious not to leave a spill soaked on it. I sprayed disinfectant and let it sit just a bit too long and there is a minuscule amount of water damage in one corner, but you cannot even tell by looking at it.

It is not the most high quality set in the world, but I am very happy with it. It is very light weight, enough so that my son (14 months) has been able to push around the chairs/table for months and used it for practice when learning to walk. If my kids ruin this set, I would consider buying another. We use it every day, multiple times a day. The wood is unfinished, I figured it it gets marked up with crayon I would just take some sandpaper and buff it out!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50178411

There was another thread a few months back where someone recommended an Ikea set. I’ll try to find the thread and post a link. I would go for a wood set or a plastic set that is BPA and phthalate-free. You really don’t want your kid eating off of and playing on a plastic set that contains dangerous chemicals. And who knows what other chemicals are in plastics that they haven’t started testing yet. Plus, wood really last a lot longer.

Thanks, TMT. I won’t bother looking up the thread now.

Thank you both. I will look in to the Ikea table.

Nikki (sp)?, I agree with you about the plastics. However dh is more concerned with practicality and longevity when making purchases. So I often must compromise or just choose to fight another battle at a later time :wink:

You spelled it right :slight_smile:
I think wood will last longer. The kids I watch have one of those plastic tables that has a top for legos. It’s just not great quality since it’s made of plastic. Tell your husband that wood will last for years and it’s safer and sturdier. That Ikea table is a good deal if you can find it.

We have the wood one for inside and plastic one for outside ( because of the rain and ocean mist in the evenings wood one would not have made it out there :smiley: ) We got the plastic one in the Thrift store, and it was definitely a help to have a play table outside.But if you want to get one, I would suggest wood, as I think it will last much longer…

I have a wood one hich dd received as a birthday present for her 1st birthday. It is brilliant and does hold up to her craft and painting and food onslaught on a daily basis. If you are wanting to use it inside only I would def get a wood one because she will still beplaying with it in years to come.