Toddler not interested in words and math

Hello,

I started LR and LM programs for my DD when she was 6 months old (she is now a year old). She used to enjoy whole sessions in the beginning. Recently I’ve noticed that she is not very interested in words flash cards (pattern phoenix, words beginning with ‘xx’ and words ending with ‘xx’) and maths. She starts to wiggle to go away as soon as words or maths card flashes on the screen. :dry: Though she is very interested in pictures. She loves all her books with pictures.

Has anyone else gone thru such situation? How did you over come that?
Thanks.

I am not sure if you are referring to the sections when there are words only. Is that when she loses interest? My daughter would never look at just words. I always had to show her a picture. That was the only was I could interest her. I used paper flash cards and I would show her words followed by a picture and I would stick some of the math facts in between. She also had no interest in the math portion unless it was hidden among the word/picture flash cards.

If your daughter loves pictures give her lots of them. Have you thought of getting magnetic letter for the fridge or a board and building words with her? My kids loved that as well.

I am so relieved that my daughter is not alone to hate words and maths. And so glad to know that there is a way to get out of it. Really liked an idea of hidden maths and words flash cards in between pictures. I am sure that would work for my DD.

And loved the idea of magnetic alphabets game. I think that would build her interest in words.
Thanks a lot, for your inputs. It would help a lot!

Hello Ashah3 ! , Would like mention here that my little one had pretty similar experience with little reader, he loves them when I start…say pictures etc , and when the session move on to phonics , words beginning with ‘xx’ , he wanted to take a quick break (by taking his car and say vrooooom ! ) , and then he gets back to the rest of the reader session with accurate interest. These all happened when he was say 18-24mnth . I tried to give a break to the phonics session for say couple of weeks and then showed them , he seems to be fine and interested then on. May be they wanna a little break to phonics session in that early phase.

Reg. Little math, when my little one has such distractions / he doesn’t want to watch, I make the session very short then on, say out of 4 lessons, I do one lesson in morning, and next lesson by evening. Just my thought…as I wanted to continue on little math to nurture its benefits too :slight_smile:

Happy Learning !
cheerymom