To start or not to start? Reading, 5 months old.

I am showing dot cards to my 5 months old. I know that this is the best time for teaching math and I am surprised how curious he is about the dots. He is laughing during the show. After that, we have a special sequence of kissing :smiley:

I think that it is much too early to teach reading. He understands just few words, and there is not such an internal mystery as it is with math dots.

But he is so thirsty for the information, and we have such a good time together with flashcards.

How do you think?

Hereā€™s my advice: show him words before he can crawl.
Once heā€™s on his way, heā€™ll be less likely to sit still and lookā€¦ I spent the first few months of my daughterā€™s life making cards and once i started at 6 months, it was a bad timing. She then started standing, cruising, walking etcā€¦ and did not want to look at cards (or books) before she was 13 months.

Start ASAP! The sooner the better!

When my DD was that age we were doing reading like described in Domanā€™s book " How smart is your baby".
We started to show her fruits, using all 5 pathways:
actual fruit,
a detail Bit of intelligence card,
very large and clear word card with a name of a fruit,
a piece of peeled fruit to smell,
a tiny pieces of that fruit for her to taste
We all had lots of fun and no pressure lol
All the best of luck to you!

Thank you for the replies!

I have all the resources, prepared for the first child (we started at 18 months). I have even such a resource as: the first child showing flashcards to the second one :smiley: :smiley:
So OK, I will start today.
Thanks NadiaD for your wisdom :D:D . I will not follow the word sequence recommended by Doman but teach fruits and objects of our daily life :):slight_smile:

One more question, about the time. Usually we have 3 - 6 math sessions per day. Can I show words just after math, or the interval is needed?

My experience with my little boy does not indicate that things are quite as cut-and-dried as ā€œletā€™s start right now with this here newborn!ā€ Maybe youā€™re all correct; I personally am just not yet convinced.

I started teaching my boy to read around age 22 months. Before that, however, we had a huge amount of directly relevant language experience. We read zillions of books, we looked at lots of ABC books, flashcards, and videos, and played with a few alphabet toys as well (including his favorite, the LeapFrog Alphabet Bus). By the end of his second year, he was totally swimming in language and letters and basic vocabulary. I am sure that that foundation, along with huge amounts of ongoing reading and (soon after) Doman-style presentations and other vocabulary/literacy activities, made it possible for him not just to learn to decode written language but to understand it fairly well too. Considering that he is now capable of decoding at the 5th or 6th grade level (as far as I can tell, from online tests Iā€™ve foundā€“Iā€™m having trouble locating a professional to test him), and considering that he is now finally sitting down for long periods of time and reading Magic Tree House (third grade level) books on his own, I canā€™t say that I regret starting him later.

As most of you probably know, I am a big advocate of phonics, and one of the main reasons for our success, as far as Iā€™m concerned, is that I found a way to teach him phonics from a very early age. I donā€™t mean ā€œexpose him to a little phonics here and a little there,ā€ or ā€œintroduce a few important rules.ā€ I mean ā€œsystematically train him in the understanding and use of virtually all the phonics rules.ā€

Now, hereā€™s the deal. I know that it is possible to train babies to recognize words, mostly ā€œby shape.ā€ I believe (on the basis of many examples) that this has great long-term effects. But Iā€™ve seen a fair number of parents writing in to complain that their little ones are limited to the words they have been shown on flashcards, and that they forget those words. This indicates to me that those babies have not deciphered the phonetic code. So, generally, what experience do we have of toddlers, who were first taught as babies, being able to decode words phonetically and fluently? More to the point, what experience do we have of the long-term benefit of teaching babies to read before they can be taught systematic phonics, versus starting them a little later with phonics? Or, if we have some experience of trying to teach systematic phonics to babies from the start (e.g., if someone has been using my phonics flash cards for a while now, with her baby), then how has that worked out?

I know that there are many people in the Doman camp who will defend whole word learning for babies, maintaining that this is ā€œright brain learningā€ which is better than left brain learning, especially for babies. If itā€™s done right, the child will never need to learn phonics. Iā€™ll lay my cards on the table and tell you that I have a hard time believing this. A person, ā€œno matter how small,ā€ learns to read by deciphering the phonetic code. We have just too much empirical data showing the harms of whole word language training without adequate exposure to phonics. Yes, a child might learn to read many words without phonics, but unless he can ā€œlook intoā€ the word and see the phonetic subtleties in it, he will be at a huge disadvantage in terms of spelling, pronunciation, and making out new words. Heā€™s also at a much greater risk of appearing to be dyslexic. Iā€™m sure that there are some kids who, for whatever reason (not necessarily intelligence), look at words theyā€™re learning ā€œin the right wayā€ and end up absorbing all the relevant phonetic rules. But many, many moreā€“and I think this is also true of babies and toddlersā€“do not do this. We put them at a profound disadvantage.

As you can see, I am very nervous about teaching kids to read without teaching them phonics. Given this constraint, I ask myself: do I really want to have my next childā€™s first exposure to reading written language one that involves simply memorizing words? What advantages are potentially lost if the first experience with reading written language does not take the form of decoding words sound-by-sound? To put it negatively, are there disadvantages if, in effect, I spend many months teaching my child simply to memorize words?

The hope, of course, is that after some months of simply memorizing words, the child will (a) have picked up some phonetic rules, and (b) be able to learn phonics systematically after that (and who knows, maybe the child will be able to learn phonics systematically faster and better, having memorized many words). But my fear is that the child will have learned some bad habits, of trying to memorize each new word, instead of analyzing it phonetically and internalizing its structure, so to speak. It is the ability to pick apart words phonetically, in an intuitive, ā€œsecond-natureā€ way, that makes it possible for my little boy (or any good reader) to read words like ā€œabridgingā€ or ā€œHrothgarā€ and barely skip a beat.

For me, there are basically two practical questions here that need to be answered. (1) If a child learns using the Doman method and/or with Titzerā€™s videosā€“in other words, focusing mainly on whole words, and with no or scant attention to phonicsā€“then, after several months or a year, will the child be at any disadvantage when it comes to really mastering the rules of phonics? (2) Suppose that you group words not by subject as Doman suggests, but from the beginning you organize words into phonetic groupings, as I have done with my ā€œFleschcards,ā€ and you show those words to babies and toddlers. Will those kids, after a year or whatever, have internalized and mastered the rules of phonics? Or would they have just memorized the words?

I never had to answer (2), because I started teaching my boy to read only after he had shown that he knew the alphabet entirely (by about 20 months), and was familiar with the sounds the letters made, and after he was able to speak. I could see that he could read the words, because he read the words out loud to me as I showed the cards. But you donā€™t have this assurance if you show the cards before a child can speak.

Iā€™m sorry to have to throw a monkey wrench in the gears here, but that in all honesty is where my thinking is at right now. Iā€™ve written a lot because itā€™s something Iā€™ve been thinking a fair bit about lately.

DadDude, the only thing I would add is that I think your boy memorized those Flesch Words, even though they were grouped phoneticallyā€¦you definitely helped him along by organizing their presentation phonetically, but I believe he memorized them too.

In general, I donā€™t think memorizing is detrimental, since we all end up reading from memory the majority of the time - whatā€™s the harm in having a stash of words memorized early?

Phonetics are crucial, yes, and through only mild efforts of my own I find myself in your exact scenario - my boy has all his letters and sounds down pat and is swimming in language right nowā€¦every day he seems to say something new, and strings together words more and moreā€¦he can identify words from memory that start with certain lettersā€¦

But, Iā€™m still proceeding with whole-word training because I donā€™t think it hurts at all - in fact, I think it may have contributed to his strong verbal skills (compared to all his local peers IRL) because we deliberately introduce him to loads of words and define them with pictures and short videos.

HTH
mom2ross

p.s. Our boy can read a few 3-letter words from a small subset of word puzzles and word magnets - I currently feel a bit stuck because I donā€™t know how to make the leap from his current knowledge-base to more mature readingā€¦heā€™s not interested in memorizing or recognizing/reading words without corresponding picturesā€¦and I think LR only expands his verbal vocabulary, not his reading!

Well, he definitely didnā€™t memorize all of them, if for no other reason than that he was able to read many of them on first showing without having seen them before. About halfway through the program, when he was around 2.5, he would typically be able to read all or nearly all of the words in a new set on first showing, i.e., I didnā€™t have to tell him what the words were. Maybe he had memorized most of them based on me reading and pointing to the words in books, but I doubt it; the more elegant explanation is that he read them phonetically, because he could do that. Definitely there are any number of words and names he came across, when he was 2, that I was virtually certain heā€™d never seen before; and he had no trouble at all reading those.

Sorry if Iā€™m straying off topic here, but DadDude, can you share a bit about that in-between stage when your boy was comfortable with all his letters and their sounds and when he was able to read Flesch words without much assistance? That seems like a big leap that hasnā€™t happened in our household yet, so Iā€™m quite curious!

Start ASAP!! ASAP!! Reading is one of the most important skills you will ever teach your children and you should begin teaching this skill as soon as possible - from birth really (from birth you teach the ability to see black and white and then shapes - but you still show (and speak) very BIG, BOLD, basic important words to the newborn child! Do you want your child to have the ability to ā€œspeedā€ read?? Then teach them very, very young - while the brain is still growing at itā€™s fastest rate! Very few skills are more important (eat, drink, move, express themselves,ā€¦)

Hopefully, some day NOT attempting to teach very, very young people to read and do math will be a crime!! Would you deprive them of physical nourishment and stunt their physical growth??

Teach and show them just about EVERYTHING (positive) you can think of - whether you can do it yourself or not - and do it ASAP - and remember to ENJOY every single moment!!

ā€œWill the child learn phonics??ā€ Show them enough words and OF COURSE they will learn - and INTUIT - ALL the rules of phonics (and hopefully semantics! and syntax/grammer) - in ANY and EVERY language set (that you show them) - and way better than you would ever hope! Itā€™s really up to you and how much (and perhaps how clearly and well) you show them: a sponge that GROWS with USE!!

Please stop second guessing your childā€™s ability: it is unbelievable! I propose that the more complicated the material you throw at your child - in a clear, concise and comprehensible way - the better your child will be - in the long run - of learning more and more complicated material!!

Teach him ALL the musical instruments, ALL the languages you can, ALL the scientific data you can present logically to them!! His brain will work that much harder to comprehend and make sense of it all. He may not pick it ALL up, but he will become better at making sense of more and more complicated material - thatā€™s the idea isnā€™t it??

Confuse them a little - every once in a while - make them ā€œworkā€ a little harder to figure things out. Let them succeed as often as possible, but let them be confused too!

You are teaching the JOY of everything under the sun and the JOY of learning or at least appreciating everything under the sun and stars - so present VAST amounts of data once in a while - boggle their minds once in a while - or as often as possible. Let them experience EVERYTHING on a given topic - if it can be done: let them look at and hear EVERY language - if you can! Let them see ALL the art that you can interest them in!

JOYOUSLY show them EVERYTHING that you can! Try it - it ought to be an awful lot of fun!

They WILL surprise you!

I believe that whole word approach works if it is consistent and continous enough. Nine times per day and every day. Othervice, child starts to forget what was in the beginning, and the process ā€œrefrigeratesā€.

Doman says that it is easier to teach one year old than two years old, and it is easier to teach newborn than one year old.
I am not sure. Here in Brillkids we often read that child learns to remember words as infant but starts to read new words only at 2.5 - 3 y. So, his teaching to read takes several years. Maybe he starts to read after the bridging (when left brain becomes dominant).
At the same time, I know several kids who started to read with no conscious teaching at all, at 4 years. Parents or caregivers just showed them phonics, and included books in their daily routine.
So I do not agree to Doman that early teaching to read is easier.

I think, whole word teaching is not only a teaching to read. It is brain gymnastics. Does not depend what you show, it is good. In the same way as we do sports and gymnastics: our aim is not to learn a certain motion as a useful skill for life; our aim is to improve general stength and health.

About the risk to become dyslexic. Dad Dude, do you have any statistics on that?

I my language (Latvian), words mostly are written phonetically. There is no such thing as in English where pronunciation is changing depending on eveything. For us, every single letter has allways the same pronunciation (with few exceptions). And the endings of words are important. Mostly, we make cases with various endings of words and not with separate short words as it is in English. We cannot read just with shapes of words; we need to read the endings, phonetically. And still I know several examples where kids learned to read with method of Doman. Sure, they decoded the phonics. If you are researching this learning you should analyze also what happens with another languages.

Well, thereā€™s a lot of info on that stage in my essayā€“Iā€™ll send you a copy by email if you havenā€™t got one already. (Sorry, Iā€™ve forgotten who Iā€™ve sent copies to, and I havenā€™t bothered to try to match up BrillKids pseudonyms with real names! Iā€™m terrible with names so I would forget anyway!)

Basically, if the question is how we got from the one stage to the other, I would say we accomplished it through a combination of a few things.

(1) When I learned he could reproduce the sounds of the letters on command (ā€œWhat sound does this letter make?ā€), then we got a couple sets of refrigerator magnets and started playing. I think we might have gotten the LeapFrog 3-letter refrigerator magnet toy at the same time, but I think that came a little later. For example, I would show him B, A, T, and then I would say each letterā€™s sound and have him repeat them, and then I would put them together slowly, then a little faster, and finally together. I would encourage him to repeat after me at different stages, but mostly it was me explaining things to him. At one point I remember being excited that he actually sounded out and read ā€œdogā€ as written with fridge magnets. I think that is what persuaded me to start making my flash cards. And if I remember my thought process correctly, I thought, ā€œWell, I donā€™t care what this Doman guy saysā€“if my boy can sound out ā€˜dogā€™ and knows the letter sounds, and in other ways displays many of the readiness signals for reading, then Iā€™m going to arrange the words phonetically and see if he can learn phonics.ā€ Then we started cards.

(2) Around the same time (possibly just before I started cards, but only a few days before) we started using Your Baby Can Read. I think this helped teach him the letter-sound connections better, but it was probably important that we did this at the same time that we were playing with the fridge magnets.

(3) I donā€™t remember everything we used, but Iā€™m pretty sure I also used the computer (word processor with very large type) and alphabet blocks. We kept reinforcing letter sounds with the alphabet bus, too. If we had known about it at the time, Iā€™m very sure we would have been using Starfall.com as well. We didnā€™t discover it until he was well past the alphabet stage. Starfallā€™s first page, about the alphabet, is one of the best alphabet trainers Iā€™ve seen.

(4) I donā€™t specifically remember this, but I am very sure I would have been pointing out the simplest words, which he knew or remembered. Hey, I DO remember one thing: the first word he read was the word ā€œgo.ā€ In fact, itā€™s coming back to me now. One of his transportation books was called ā€œThings that GOā€ and the word ā€œGOā€ was written in big letters. He got a big kick out of this, and I told him (before starting to teach him to read, but after having seen videos about it on YouTube), ā€œThat is the word ā€˜goā€™ā€ā€“I wanted to see if heā€™d pick it upā€“and lo and behold, he started enthusiastically saying ā€œGo!ā€ whenever he saw the book title. (We were reading it a lot those days.) So we began with a single word, ā€œgo,ā€ which was really easy to understand and extremely high-interest. Iā€™ll bet that tiny success in fact is what got me thinking that we should try fridge magnets.

(Iā€™m going to have to add this to the essay. :slight_smile: )

No, I donā€™t generally go around memorizing statistics. Iā€™m just repeating what is often said by phonics advocates, who often speak as though the data between a whole word/whole language approach and dyslexia is there. Iā€™ve done a lot of reading about how reading is taught, but not so much about dyslexia in particular. Anyway, youā€™ve been warnedā€¦remember, English is not Latvian, it is a highly irregular language and virtually no other phonetic language on earth is learned in the ā€œwhole languageā€ way, as English unfortunately is sometimes. In other languages, learning to read is relatively simple: you learn the rules for decoding, and thatā€™s that.

If you really have never gotten into the phonics vs. whole word debate, the place to begin is the classic Why Johnny Canā€™t Read, which is itself a highly readable, and even entertaining, book.

Try this out: http://www.ednews.org/articles/whole-language-causes-dyslexia-.html

My kid was using sign language at the age of 7 months.
I would recommend to every one to teach your baby sign language!!! - they do know what is going onā€¦ and if you want them to communicate with you then give them a way to do it. (signing time for baby is the best!)
Babies can technically read and do math at the age of 6 months. It is easier to know the word and its meaning first before learning to read it- I know that because we are learning 5 languages! If you are teaching a baby or anyone a word it has to have a meaning or it is a waste of time and why would your brain store such useless information? As long as the baby knows what the hand symbol or written symbol means they will learn it.
My kid did not learn to read until she was 2 years old- that I know of- she just walked up to me and started reading out loud. I never made any attempts to teach her how to read.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ladyxeona#p/c/20EB2F7DB79EA206/25/82XbPCoCBsM

Donā€™t be nervous about it. It works well! Babies do figure out sequence and phonics if you start them on flashcards the dolman method. Thatā€™s especially so for English.

My baby started on YBCR at 1 month. And then on flashcard DVD for English(winktolearn) at 7 months. We could tell that he recognised words by the time he was 10 months, and after he was 1 year old, we could tell that he could figure out words phonetically.

This is not the same as for Chinese, which is character-based, and unless you are teaching HanyuPinyin(HYPY), there is no phonetics to talk about. And Iā€™m avoiding HYPY as far as possible for now. I even take the trouble to use correction tape to blank them out of books after either memorising the pronunciation or writing a very tiny note at a separate corner of the book for myself. And yes, I do notice that for Chinese, for those words that my son does not come across as often, he may forget. And this is despite the fact that he can read the Chinese characters in different forms, in different media, on signs outside that heā€™s never seen before, etc.

But for English - heā€™d figure out how to read it out. Only that, he may or may not know the meaning, if itā€™s a new word.

So, donā€™t worry - start your baby as young as you can! Those brains are like sponge!

Hi Lady Xeona,

Quote,Ć¢ā‚¬Ā I never made any attempts to teach her how to readĆ¢ā‚¬Å“

Presumably your daughter had either access to a DVD about the alphabet and/or was read to frequently.
Did your daughter encourage you to point at words whilst you read to her or did you move your finger to each word as it was being read?
Reading a set of favourite books which contain high frequency words is effectively the same as showing flashcards. No-one learns in a vacuum.

I am looking forward to your response.
Chris.

Congrats for your kid, wow 5 languages at the same time?
Which languages are you learning and i wander if anyone (who) speaks in those language to her or what do you use.
I read other moms teach one language each day. do ou do something like that, take turns in weeks or mix them in the same day
Thank for sharing.

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I found it intriguing to hear all the different arguments.

Should we teach the left brain or the right brain, whole word or phonetics etc?

Iā€™d like to relate a learning experience/ teaching experience of my own. I teach acrobatics (I am the author of the an acrobatics syllabus for dancers).

When I learned to do a cartwheel as a young child (about 3) I was asked to stand with my feet together, was pushed slightly forward and since I stepped forward with my right foot it was decided that I was a right handed cartwheel and that is what I was taught.

In gymnastics they donā€™t always teach both sides but in dancing itā€™s a must so after I was good at this I was taught left. Now there was maybe six months between the teaching of sides so I was no more than four when I learned my left. To this day, despite the fact that an audience member would know no difference, I am not as comfortable cartwheeling to my left. Despite doing them almost every day for over 25 years.

I train all students left and right from day one, a lot of students who start late will still have a ā€œbetter sideā€ usually the side they write. But I have found that if I start training both sides, simultaneously, young enough (and that is the key) that most kids will say ā€œI donā€™t have a good side, theyā€™re the same. It makes no difference to meā€.

I think that by assuming that the best way of learning to read is either phonics or whole word is missing the fact that most of us probably do a combination of both and even if we donā€™t we should be able to because only training one part of something must detract from the whole.

I also wonder how you can learn to write if you donā€™t learn phonics? At some point you have to be aware of the breakdown of the letters, you certainly canā€™t write a whole word you must write or type it one letter at a time. Also some words canā€™t be broken down phonetically (at least not in English) so there are times when we have to rely on memory to recognise a word.

We used the YBCR method so our son was taught to read whole words with a little touch on phonics. We also played alphabet songs and had letters around the place etc. He started to read words we hadnā€™t shown him out of the blue one day at which point I figured he had cracked the code. I believe he did this young because he was given the information and his brain was able to sort through it and make deductions. Just like with maths and grammar.