To count or not to count

Hi everyone,

My son and I have been using LR and LM for a few months now. At first he liked them both okay. Now he is really getting into LR and eh for LM :dry: . He still watches it but looks away often and never asks for more. I am not sure if he is absorbing anything from it. So, I am thinking about not showing it to him anymore as I want learning to be fun for him.

I know Doman says that kids his age (16 months) can recognize quantity without counting. Do you all recommend that I start counting with my son to keep up doing something with math or should I just continue to tell him the quantity of things without counting with him? He has never responded correctly when I have asked him to pick out quantities. Could be because he just doesn’t want to as he is that way sometimes!

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi mybabyian! I say do what he will enjoy more. My child doesn’t like to do both (Doman math and counting) but she got to a point that she can recognize quantities. See link below:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/big-surprise!-quantity-recognition!/

While doing Doman math, I also introduced numerals to her and she seemed more interested in it. I personally think it won’t hurt if you introduce counting for him to have a basic grasp of math but it could be counter-productive if you are really focused for him to learn Doman math. If you want a combination of both, you may want to try Jones Genuises as it uses dots on numerals to introduce addition, etc.

Happy teaching!

Thanks SOOO much for your post nadia0801. It was really encouraging. I am really happy with how my son is doing and I know he is absorbing so much but sometimes it is hard to tell what he is learning. He likes to demonstrate things on his own. I know some kids love to show what they know and he is not like that. That is fine I just have to have a little more faith that he is learning.

Actually this morning I was surprised by him. We were reading a home-made lift the flap book with the numbers one to ten. He pointed to the two and said “two”!!! First time he has said that and it was spontaneous of course. That is the way he likes to do things. :slight_smile: Then when I read your post I was even more encouraged so I decided to try again to see if he could recognize any other numbers. I held up 9 and 12 and asked him to point to 12. He did!!! Then I held up 13 and 14 and asked him to point to 14 and he did!!! Wow! Of course he then told me “all done” so we stopped. But I was really encouraged.

I think the reason why he has never responded correctly before is because he was always reaching to the cards so he could grab them and play with them. lol This time I asked him while he was eating so he was less distracted by the allure of grabbing the cards!

Anyway, it looks like you removed the video of your daughter which I am sure would be great to see but I got the idea from your post. Thank you again!

That’s amazing mybabyian! I feel your excitement! Babies are sooo precious! They are really born genuises. I’ll post the video again, I forgot I lost my old youtube account :blush:

Here they are :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6BUazF-9Y&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APg8iZib-Ew&feature=player_embedded

**Update!!!
Just now, we we’re reminiscing and watching her “dots1” video after I uploaded it. Just for fun, I asked Cammie which one is “8” and quickly covered the video so that she won’t be able to count. She said “the one on the right!” immediately! And asked her again which one is “7” and she answered “it’s on the left!” without so much of a pause. I never would have believed she still could recognize quantities. This is such a pleasant surprise! Doman said the skill would be gone when they are 2.5 yo?