Timing questions

Hi all,

we have a 17 month old and have just happened across early learning and have finihsed Domans how to read book.

We would love to do at least reading and maths to start with.

I know that sessions for reading have to be at least 15 min apart, but my question is do all sessions have to be 15min apart, or can you do a reading and math set back to back.

It all seems a little overwelming at the moment, but it may be one of those things where you have to dive in and see what happens :wub:

The best way to teach a child how to read is to read a story with him/her. Then read the same story again with your finger beneath each word as you read. If the child asks about a word you point it out. As for math begin with the nursery rhymes like 3 little pigs. Use fingers and toes for counting then go on to other common household objects.

You “should” wait between sessions but I would find that life got in the way and then I would never get back to what I was doing with my wee one. So I would set aside time in the morning and then find time again in the afternoon to specifically do flash cards or EL sessions. In each I would do reading, maths & music. I never did achieve 6 sessions/ day of doman dots… I ended up doing as many as I could fit into the baby’s interest period :blush: I like the sit down times but it was easier to just include EL throughout your day and make whatever you are doing an learning opportunity. E.g. We have a map tablecloth and my 2 year old thinks it’s really funny that she has her lunch at the north pole with the polar bears whereas her brother is way down in Antartica with the penguins:-)

Whatever works for you, as long as you are exposing your child to knowledge they will learn despite any mistakes you might make. :slight_smile:
Hope it’s going well for you,