TIME article on Teaching Your Baby To Read

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842615-1,00.html

I think it’s quite a balanced or at least overall neutral article.

One thing I would ‘agree’ with the naysayers is that please don’t over do it - make sure there’s lots of PLAY and other activities, and as always, DON’T FORCE - make sure the process is joyful!!

Hmm. Interesting. It seems that in all these years, there is still not the concrete evidence from longitudinal studies that they speak of in the end. I wonder why more studies have not been conducted between then and now? Anyways, I think many of us here, who have seen results in our own children, are believers.

Did you notice the date on the article, and the prices of everything?

I did find the time that the article was written a bit odd… I thought it might be a computer error.

Are the prices a good reflection of when this article was written?

OMG!! Well-spotted, Nikki, the article is from 1966!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: lol

Looking at the prices again - $3.95 for a Glenn Doman book?! - I guess it’s really not a typo!

In which case it’s even more amazing that they didn’t rip the concept of early reading apart like how sometimes people coming across this concept for the first time do so.

you know i read an article about babies and reading in a mag called your baby i think about a year ago. the article discouraged moms teaching their babies to read.
i was dissapointed when i read it because it could have turned so many moms away from teaching their kids. but then i think of all the moms that didnt even know that something like this existed. atleast by reading the negative sentiment it has made them aware that babies can read. its like when you push against something it comes back with an equal and opposite force and so does that negativity. from it you get believers.

i am in the process of recording my lo with his little reader lite. the star was being abit too dramatic and demanding today so will try tomorrow. hopefully he wont ask for a star on his room door or evian still water at room temp or scented candles.

I read this article… of course people has different opinions. but I am glad I am here with experienced Brillbaby team…
My 3 y.o is always happy to play on Little readers… She likes “Colors of the Rainbow”…

I always think there will be naysayers about everything. I am so glad that I found this forum so i can learn more about teaching Sophia read and do maths, and learn about encyclopedia knowledge so she has the best start to life.

I know instinctly that this is the right thing to be doing with her. I also know that i enjoy teaching her and watching her little legs kick in excitement when i pull out her flash cards

So i say lets go forth and teach our children because will all know that we can no longer trust the public/private education to do it when it is 1:30.

i agree about you all

most of the people are not aware about the concept and others do not belive it.

anyway im gland, we all know the importance of it.

This article is dated August 12, 1966, so the numbers make sense…