Thoughts on Scientific Study-TV Viewing in Infancy and Child Cognititon at 3 Yrs

Hi Everyone,
My wife is not supportive of using learning DVD’s or Computer Screen Software Programs.
She found this study- i only cut & pasted a few parts of the study so check out the full one here…

Television Viewing in Infancy and Child Cognition at 3 Years of Age in a US Cohort
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/123/3/e370

I made some notes of my thoughts and gave them to her in our continuing debate about how best to teach our son.
I thought it may help someone else.

The Black text quotes a few parts of the study that stood out to me
The Red Text states my thoughts

Observational studies of language development suggest varied effects of infant TV and video viewing, depending largely on the content viewed. In 1 study, viewing specific programs between 6 and 30 months of age (eg, Dora the Explorer, Arthur) was associated with improved language skills at 30 months,

whereas viewing other programs (eg, Sesame Street, Teletubbies) was associated with reduced language skills at 30 months.11

Scott-- Really??? sesame street??? interesting. I loved Sesame Street as a kid. Hey, did u know that now everyone can see Snuffaluffagus? He was my favorite :slight_smile:
A limitation of this study is that we did not measure the content of the TV/video viewed by the infants.

Scott…( Also, nowhere does it mention the interactiveness of the parent.(which i totally do ) just a general tv watching )

Although only a few studies have been conducted, there is emerging evidence that content is an important mediator of the effects of TV on infants. For example, 1 longitudinal study of children from 6 to 30 months age found the effects of TV viewing on language skills at 30 months depended on the specific programs viewed.11

A cross-sectional study that found no association between general infant TV/video viewing and language skills found that viewing infant videos (eg, Baby Einstein, Brainy Baby) …between 8 and 16 months of age was associated with significantly lower CDI scores.6 …

Scott- doesnt mention baby can read dvd’s or Brillbaby software that i’m using…

***** Finally, a recent analysis of longitudinal data from the Panel Survey of Income Dynamics found that viewing violent TV/video content before the age of 3 doubled the likelihood of attention problems in childhood.23

This study may have been limited by maternal characteristics and infant TV viewing among our study population. Despite the racial and ethnic diversity in our participant pool, the education and income levels of the mothers were relatively high, and only 16% of children in the sample watched TV in excess of 2 hours each day.

With older children, research indicates that moderate TV viewing (1 to 10 hours per week) is positively associated with academic achievement,

whereas heavier viewing (in excess of 10 hours per week) is negatively associated with achievement.24

It is possible that the relatively low levels of infant TV viewing in our participant pool did not result in cognitive differences that might become measurable at higher levels of TV viewing.

Finally, our TV viewing estimates were obtained through parental report. Although this has been found to be a valid measure of TV viewing,19 past research has indicated parental estimates, when compared with viewing diaries, yield overestimates of child TV viewing and smaller correlations with outcomes of interest.19

Because previous research has shown effects of TV viewing before age 3 on cognitive test scores at age 7,10 it remains unclear whether early TV viewing has effects on cognition that are not manifested until later in development.

CONCLUSIONS

ABSTRACT
METHODS
RESULTS
DISCUSSION
CONCLUSIONS
REFERENCES

In this prospective study, TV viewing between birth and 2 years of age was neither beneficial nor deleterious to child cognitive and language abilities at 3 years of age. Although unadjusted analyses showed lower cognitive abilities among those who had more hours of TV exposure during infancy, these differences disappeared when analyses were adjusted for maternal, child, and household characteristics.

The potential benefits of limiting exposure to TV in early childhood are multiple and include less exposure to violent media content,1 improved diet quality,25 lower risk of overweight and obesity,26 lower risk of attention problems,27 and improved sleep quality.28

Although more research is needed, our findings suggest that the quantity of infant TV viewing is not associated with either poorer or better cognitive outcomes at age 3. At our present state of knowledge, pediatricians and parents will need to evaluate other health and developmental outcomes to determine the best strategies for TV viewing among infants and children.

Thanks for that.

Yep, I believe content makes a big difference in the impact of TV watching.

I’m glad it also recognizes the limitations of the studies.

Thanks for pointing this study out. I’ll be able to use it in my essay. :wink: