Thinks 20 and 21 are the same number

So my son has been practicing counting and if can could to 40, however when he gets to 20 he says 19, 20, 1, 22. Same with 30. I have been showing him flashcards as he could, made a thing on little reader, full prompted him through it, but still he makes this error. He daycare worker says normal kids his age can only manage to count to 25. I for one don’t believe this. Any ideas?

Hi Waterdreamer,

My humble suggestion: Show him on a hundred chart how you get to the number ten in the first row, then twenty in the second row, then thirty in the next…

After you’ve shown him that the number 21 comes AFTER twenty play a little “I’m thinking of” game. Ie. “Mommy’s thinking about a number that is one bigger than 9. Put a raisin on the number Mommy is thinking about.” Do a few numbers under 10 then try 11, 13, 12 before going on to 20 and 21. This is a fun game for trying a number of things - subtraction, addition, mult, div, etc.

Also, you could cover a few numbers on your hundred chart with an opaque piece of construction or cardboard paper and make him guess what number is under it.

Games always work better for me…I’m all about the fun :slight_smile:

Thanks Kizudo! Thats a great idea.